Candy Melt Images: How To Make Them Shiney

Decorating By 2txmedics Updated 23 May 2014 , 8:18am by 2txmedics

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 17 May 2014 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 6

So I've kind of mastered the Candy melt images, FINALLY!...Still learning and sometimes, I make them too thick...because if I dont, they break a piece....

What I'm needing to know, and I've sat here and read and read....Is how to make them so that they come out Shiney, face up.

I get a small cookie sheeet, place my mirrored image on it...and then I tape wax paper over that and go to work....when it's done,....I remove it off the wax paper and turn over and place on the cake....I'm finding that I get a paint brush and lightly paint them to make them a BRIGHTER COLOR...richer and deep in color.

How do ppl make them Shiney instead of dull looking??? I read somewhere that someone used Pexiglass..??? But does the image come off easy once your done???  Does this make the image shiney? Any help would be appreciated. 

Thank you...

5 replies
Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 17 May 2014 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 6

AMaybe try freezer paper instead of waxed paper? I think it has a shiny side. I think the candy would stick to the plexiglass. Don't know how you'd get it off.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 18 May 2014 , 6:33am
post #3 of 6

The best thing to pipe them on is acetate.  The shinier the surface, the shinier the final image.

2txmedics Posted 19 May 2014 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you so much! I'll have to try that on my next cake in two wks!!!! its the Frozen theme, so Ill see how that goes.....

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 19 May 2014 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 6

Freezer paper has a wonderful smooth shiny coating.  I tape a big sheet on the counter and make chocolate coated pretzels.  When they are firm they pop right off, smooth and shiny as can be.  When I made hand dipped chocolate truffles, the freezer paper make the most perfectly shiny bottoms.

freezer paper is cheap and readily available at the local store here in Alaska, which helps.

2txmedics Posted 23 May 2014 , 8:17am
post #6 of 6

* Clawdeen Wolf from Monsters High, BC 2 layer, cake was swirled in Pink for a girls birthday party. Skull and Clawdeen, and "8" are candy melts

Thank you so very much!!! I've been working with candy melts now for maybe only 1yr...and I'm loving it, but just noticed that they aren't shiney...so I end up painting them with colors...to make them Pop! As you can see here, I hand painted Clawdeen wolf.

My next cake is the Frozen theme for my grand daughter...we will see how it goes.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%