Where To Obtain Copyright Permissions From

Business By tcbz Updated 19 May 2014 , 6:45pm by costumeczar

tcbz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcbz Posted 17 May 2014 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 4



From reading around on CC, it is clear to me that making and selling cake of cartoon characters like Toy Story, Hello Kitty, Spiderman, Dora and all these other themes is ILLEGAL if you do NOT have written permission from the copyright owner. Ok, fair enough. Now I want to get permission from them. Anyone has any idea who to contact in these behemoth companies who will actually bother getting back to you? Has anyone here even tried?


I was about to set up an e-commerce website, but the company that was doing the credit card processing flatly refused until I obtained and sent them a copy of the agreement between my business and the owners of the trademark like Disney. I checked their website, and it didn't feel like it was any help. 


So your help will be appreciated. 


Help cakers, help!

3 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 19 May 2014 , 8:01am
post #2 of 4

AIf you go to the various websites there is usually listed an e-mail address to contact the company and some like Nintendo actually have a phone number listed for the "legal department". I called the Nintendo number and they said they couldn't give me permission from there but I could contact local counsel to find out what my local laws allowed. That didn't make a lot of sense to me so I let that one go. Other sites state very plainly you cannot reproduce their characters in any way period. There have been a few members who have received cease and desist letters. I haven't yet read where anyone has actually gotten written permission to reproduce a copyrighted character, but here's your chance to chime in if you have!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 19 May 2014 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 4

AA release from Disney? Good luck with that....we'll be waiting to hear about that one. ;)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 May 2014 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 4



There's also this link to call to report infringement. There used to be a long list of things you had to do to get a Disney license but the page isn't there that I can find. Maybe these people would know where to go for info if you call them  http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/content/disney-antipiracy

Quote by @%username% on %date%