Help! Can I Add Cream Cheese?

Baking By lrlt2000 Updated 17 May 2014 , 2:31am by lrlt2000

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 16 May 2014 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 7

I planned on making a cream cheese buttercream icing for a RV cake, but thought I could just add the cream cheese to my regular buttercream recipe (Fluffy American BC by BakingJeannie). I've made a full batch of the BC, but now I'm nervous about adding the cream cheese! Can I just soften it and whip it in?? Or was I supposed to add it with all of the butter and shortening??

6 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 16 May 2014 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 7

I usually add cream cheese at the beginning. You can try softening the cream cheese now and mix it in with some of the buttercream to see how that works. The only potential problem I can think of, is little lumps of cream cheese that won't dissolve. Maybe try beating the very soft cream cheese with a little confectioners' sugar first, to smooth out the consistency. Or - put your icing in the fridge and start again. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 May 2014 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 7

good ideas and another one to add to the idea pot is get the cream cheese soft for like 10 seconds in the microwave--maybe 2-3 five second bursts--soft not hot--then let the cream cheese go round in the mixer for a few by itself, then add a cup of your icing and let it all incorporate then add another cup, if it has lumps at this point you can sieve it easily and just add it the big amount no worries--

like tempering it in like you do with adding eggs into pastry cream but without any real heat

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 16 May 2014 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 7

Place your cream cheese, in it's foil wrapper, in a bowl of warm tap water for about 10 minutes to soften it...the water won't hurt it at all, and your don't get uneven warming as in a microwave. 

Place the cream cheese and about a cup of your icing in a small mixer bowl and mix on low speed until completely blended, then blend this mixture into your remaining icing.

lrlt2000 Posted 16 May 2014 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

good ideas and another one to add to the idea pot is get the cream cheese soft for like 10 seconds in the microwave--maybe 2-3 five second bursts--soft not hot--then let the cream cheese go round in the mixer for a few by itself, then add a cup of your icing and let it all incorporate then add another cup, if it has lumps at this point you can sieve it easily and just add it the big amount no worries--

like tempering it in like you do with adding eggs into pastry cream but without any real heat

This is exactly what I did! First I creamed the cream cheese alone. Then, I added a few scoops of the BC to that, beat more, then added that mixture back into the BC. Worked like a charm and was DELICIOUS!! :) I am a bit concerned, though, because after I dammed, filled, stacked and covered in ganache, I noticed the rest of what was left in the bowl had gotten a tad soft--and almost airy, as if yeast was in it. I am now concerned about leaving this tier out at all, for fear of both food safety as well as consistency (I don't want them to cut the cake and have the filling be all squishy and not hold up the slice).

The problem is, I have to cover with fondant (well, I **am** mixing it with modeling chocolate anyway) AND the bottom tier is marble with ganache filling, so that CAN'T be refrigerated, or it will be hard as a rock. Maybe I'll do both tiers, keep them separate, dowel the bottom non-refrigerateable tier, and just tell them to keep the top tier in the frig until an hour before the party.

Any suggestions??

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 17 May 2014 , 1:48am
post #6 of 7

AI actually store cake with ganache fillings in the cooler all the time...while it will harden when chilled, as the cake come to room temperature it will soften and be fine!

lrlt2000 Posted 17 May 2014 , 2:31am
post #7 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett 

I actually store cake with ganache fillings in the cooler all the time...while it will harden when chilled, as the cake come to room temperature it will soften and be fine!

I know it *can* be, but it will still be harder when the cream cheese icing it too soft. In other words, if they leave it in the refrigerator until 30 minutes before serving--so the cream cheese icing is still firm and safe--that's not enough time for the ganache to come to room temp.

Oh hell, I don't know! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%