Best Fondant?

Decorating By DGbcs Updated 20 May 2014 , 1:18pm by cai0311

DGbcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DGbcs Posted 16 May 2014 , 2:08am
post #1 of 31

AI know there are many threads about the best fondant or which to choose. However I am finding threads that are years old and am hoping that someone can tell me the best fondant they use now......one that's easy to work with and tastes pretty good. I have a love hate relationship with fondant right now and just went through a bucket of Satin ice and absolutely hate it bc it sags, wrinkles and gets pretty hard. I used to make my own MMF but really need something easier. Would love some thoughts...I know fondant changes through the years so am hopeful someone can tell me a good one all around to pick nowadays!

30 replies
rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 16 May 2014 , 3:01am
post #2 of 31

AI've had good luck with Fondx and Albert Uster's Massa Grischuna. I'm interested in trying Chocopan because I've been using their gum paste and really like it. I'm not a fan of Fondarific because I work in a really hot kitchen and it gets too soft and stretchy on me.

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 16 May 2014 , 3:04am
post #3 of 31

I have been hearing good things about Carma Massa and Renshaw but they are kind of pricy and don't come in larger sizes like SI.

I'm going to try Elizabeth Marek’s Fondant Recipe (LMF Fondant) to see if I like it.

DGbcs Posted 16 May 2014 , 11:13am
post #4 of 31

AThank you so much!

DGbcs Posted 16 May 2014 , 11:26am
post #5 of 31

AOh and enga, I have made Elizabeth Mereks fondant recipe in the past several times and loved it. The last time I made it, I did so with Satin Ice and it came out terrible (I had always used Wilton). Since Wilton changed their fondant recipe recently and I didn't have a lot of time to make more or lose money experimenting, I decided that maybe buying premade fondant was best. However I may go back to making hers and trying it with the new Wilton. I sent her a message and asked if she used it yet and she said she's had luck with Satin Ice and the new Wilton as well, so I am a little concerned since I didn't have luck myself, but will try. :)

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 16 May 2014 , 11:46am
post #6 of 31

AThat depends. If you like MMF, you'll like Fondex & Pettinice. They share similar qualities.

I personally prefer Fondarific. It smooths very easily and doesn't get elephant skin. However, the same things I love about it are what others dislike. It is very soft so not good for anything you want to harden. When cutting decorative pieces, you'll want to let them set before moving them or they will stretch.

There are so many! The hard part is finding the one best for you. The tiny samples they give at shows aren't helpful in anything but tasting. I suggest purchasing a trial size big enough to cover a small cake.

jerlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerlady Posted 16 May 2014 , 12:55pm
post #7 of 31

I use Liz's homemade fondant and really love it.  I have recently tried it with the new wilton fondant.  It is softer (and definitely more tasty) and although you have to be a bit more careful in the transition from the other fondant to this one, I must say that I like it.  I have had no wrinkles, elephant skin, tearing, etc using it.  I even covered a topsy turvy cake with NO problems.  It's been really easy to work with.

enga Posted 16 May 2014 , 7:13pm
post #8 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGbcs 

Oh and enga, I have made Elizabeth Mereks fondant recipe in the past several times and loved it. The last time I made it, I did so with Satin Ice and it came out terrible (I had always used Wilton). Since Wilton changed their fondant recipe recently and I didn't have a lot of time to make more or lose money experimenting, I decided that maybe buying premade fondant was best. However I may go back to making hers and trying it with the new Wilton. I sent her a message and asked if she used it yet and she said she's had luck with Satin Ice and the new Wilton as well, so I am a little concerned since I didn't have luck myself, but will try. icon_smile.gif

Oh man, that's what I have on hand too. I have never tried Wilton fondant though. I'm going to try a batch with the Satin Ice just to see how it comes out. I mean it cant make it taste any worse, right? I have a little ladybug cake to make for Sunday, I'll come back and let you know how it worked out :wink:

enga Posted 16 May 2014 , 7:33pm
post #9 of 31

*I forgot to mention, one of the reasons that I use SI is because it's kosher/halal. Does anyone know of other brands that are too? Now I'm off on a mission to find kosher/halal marshmallows :roll: I remember someone saying they have them at Walmart.

kellyk1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyk1234 Posted 16 May 2014 , 7:40pm
post #10 of 31

I also use LMF fondant, and still works just as good with the new Wilton fondant. I just use a little less water (about a 1/2 to a whole tablespoon less) since the new wilton fondant is more soft.

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 16 May 2014 , 8:26pm
post #11 of 31

Virgin ice is my favorite :-D But I think its only available in Canada.

maggs7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggs7 Posted 16 May 2014 , 8:35pm
post #12 of 31

I use Sattina its lovely to work with and tastes great x

DGbcs Posted 16 May 2014 , 9:13pm
post #13 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by enga 

Oh man, that's what I have on hand too. I have never tried Wilton fondant though. I'm going to try a batch with the Satin Ice just to see how it comes out. I mean it cant make it taste any worse, right? I have a little ladybug cake to make for Sunday, I'll come back and let you know how it worked out :wink:

The taste of the Satin Ice I feel is actually really good (and when made into the MMF as well), but it's very problematic; same problems as many other people have stated....elephant skin, tearing and my sagged as well, whether on it's own or made into Elizabeth's MMF.  :(

DGbcs Posted 16 May 2014 , 9:15pm
post #14 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellyk1234 

I also use LMF fondant, and still works just as good with the new Wilton fondant. I just use a little less water (about a 1/2 to a whole tablespoon less) since the new wilton fondant is more soft.

That is so reassuring to know!  Thank you!  I am going to do some test cakes with fondant and hope I get the same good 'ol results.  :) Are you in a humid area by chance? I am so I know I will automatically need to cut down on the water, maybe not use any at all.

kellyk1234 Posted 16 May 2014 , 9:26pm
post #15 of 31

Quote:

That is so reassuring to know!  Thank you!  I am going to do some test cakes with fondant and hope I get the same good 'ol results.  :) Are you in a humid area by chance? I am so I know I will automatically need to cut down on the water, maybe not use any at all.

Yes I am in a very humid area. I live on the gulf coast in Mississippi. With the new wilton fondant, I added 2 tablespoons of water to the regular white fondant, and when I make dark colored fondant, like black, I used 1 1/2 tablespoons water and 1/2 tablespoon of black gel food coloring. I always make my fondant a few days or even a week in advance so it's always pretty hard until I heat it up in the microwave before using it. It seems like you can almost control the softness of it I guess depending on how long you heat it up for.

enga Posted 17 May 2014 , 12:05am
post #16 of 31
Quote:

The taste of the Satin Ice I feel is actually really good (and when made into the MMF as well), but it's very problematic; same problems as many other people have stated....elephant skin, tearing and my sagged as well, whether on it's own or made into Elizabeth's MMF.  :(

You like the taste of SI 8O, It smells and tastes like Play Doh (ate some as a kid >.<) to me but my kids love it! I like the workable of SI, I knead HRS into it and use the least amount of powdered sugar as I can while working really fast before it drys out. 

I couldn't find the marshmallows or the Wilton fondant (the shelves were empty) I wanted so I'll use the jet puff ones since the person the cake is for doesn't have dietary restrictions. I'll give it a try using the SI for now. I'll try it with the new Wilton's fondant from Michael's next week at least I can use my 40% off coupon there.

Thank You kelly1234 for posting the tips ;-D 

kellyk1234 Posted 17 May 2014 , 12:13am
post #17 of 31

No problem Enga! It's what Liz suggested to someone else under a question posted on the website. She just says to use a little less water depending on how humid of an area you live in.

I'm wondering if the Jet puff marshmallows really make a difference because she stresses that it should be the off brand, so I haven't even experimented with any other brand. I get whatever generic brand walmart carries.  Let me know how it turns out! 

enga Posted 17 May 2014 , 12:18am
post #18 of 31

No problem Enga! It's what Liz suggested to someone else under a question posted on the website. She just says to use a little less water depending on how humid of an area you live in.

I'm wondering if the Jet puff marshmallows really make a difference because she stresses that it should be the off brand, so I haven't even experimented with any other brand. I get whatever generic brand walmart carries.  Let me know how it turns out! 

Face palm! I just looked at the recipe (Jet puff, kraft or marshmallow fluff will not work), I see a trip back to Walmart in my future. :cry:

kellyk1234 Posted 17 May 2014 , 12:26am
post #19 of 31

Quote:

Face palm! I just looked at the recipe (Jet puff, kraft or marshmallow fluff will not work), I see a trip back to Walmart in my future. :cry:

Haha! I'm not sure what the difference is, but I haven't had the time to try it out (I really don't feel like wasting it since it uses Wilton fondant, even if I DO get 40% off at Michaels lol) . The only thing I can think of is that the generic brand marshmallows seems softer and squishier than the Kraft brand.  

It also kinda annoys me though that the generic brand that I get only come in 10 oz bags!

enga Posted 17 May 2014 , 12:37am
post #20 of 31

Quote:

Haha! I'm not sure what the difference is, but I haven't had the time to try it out (I really don't feel like wasting it since it uses Wilton fondant, even if I DO get 40% off at Michaels lol) . The only thing I can think of is that the generic brand marshmallows seems softer and squishier than the Kraft brand.  

It also kinda annoys me though that the generic brand that I get only come in 10 oz bags!

IKR! The only generic brand I saw were the 10 oz bags and it was soooo crowded in there. I have to go back because I want the colors (red and black) to set before Sunday.

Oh well, shrugs shoulders and grabs keys......Sigh :-(

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 17 May 2014 , 12:51am
post #21 of 31

AI think Satin Ice fondant is made for people who want to get the cake covered as fast as possible. It's perfect for that. If you work fast there is no elephant skin.

DGbcs Posted 17 May 2014 , 1:02am
post #22 of 31

Quote:

You like the taste of SI icon_eek.gif , It smells and tastes like Play Doh (ate some as a kid >.<) to me but my kids love it! I like the workable of SI, I knead HRS into it and use the least amount of powdered sugar as I can while working really fast before it drys out. 

I couldn't find the marshmallows or the Wilton fondant (the shelves were empty) I wanted so I'll use the jet puff ones since the person the cake is for doesn't have dietary restrictions. I'll give it a try using the SI for now. I'll try it with the new Wilton's fondant from Michael's next week at least I can use my 40% off coupon there.

Thank You kelly1234 for posting the tips thumbs_up.gif  

LOL...Satin Ice tastes sooo much better to me than the old Wilton...haven't tried the new yet.  I like it out of the bucket....not once it's been on the cake and hardened.  And don't be dissin' Play Doh!   Ha, ha....

DGbcs Posted 17 May 2014 , 1:08am
post #23 of 31

Quote:

The generic marshmallows I use seem a little stiffer...weird.  I am not sure what the difference is in name brand either or why they won't work. She does say in the video to be aware that all brands aren't in 16oz packages.  She used Hy Top in the video which was the correct weight but I have never seen that brand where I live.  I've never found a generic 16oz bag, but in my home the remainder will get used up at one point or another...my kids will eat them!  :)

enga Posted 17 May 2014 , 1:48am
post #24 of 31

Quote:

Quote:

LOL...Satin Ice tastes sooo much better to me than the old Wilton...haven't tried the new yet.  I like it out of the bucket....not once it's been on the cake and hardened.  And don't be dissin' Play Doh!   Ha, ha....

Oooops, my bad, lolz. Never tasted Wilton so I will take your word for it haa haa ha.

I went back to Walmart and got 4 bags of the Great Value ones, I hope they work. Would you believe that I had to get down on my knees and search the back of the bottom shelf to get fresh bags. Some little kid (judging by the impressions) had tried to chew through about 6 or 7 bags of marshmallows :roll: SMH.......

After the day I've had, this better be some awesome fondant!

kellyk1234 Posted 17 May 2014 , 4:32am
post #25 of 31

AI've never been able to find the hy top brand either. Maybe it's a northern brand thing. And I do end up using the leftover marshmallows for my occasional cup of hot chocolate! (Even in the summer) :)

And good luck Enga with the fondant! I think it's amazing, so I hope you do too! :)

enga Posted 19 May 2014 , 6:03pm
post #26 of 31
Quote:

I've never been able to find the hy top brand either. Maybe it's a northern brand thing. And I do end up using the leftover marshmallows for my occasional cup of hot chocolate! (Even in the summer) icon_smile.gif

And good luck Enga with the fondant! I think it's amazing, so I hope you do too! icon_smile.gif

Hi kelly, I made the cake yesterday all I can tell you is "whew, I'm glad that's over!". I give props to anyone who makes homemade fondant! I thought I was going to go crazy making the red, black and green colors back to back.

I was doing to much yesterday and left the cake out of the freezer to long so it was to soft to cover but I was running behind and covered it anyway :eek:. Soft fondant and soft cake, not a good combination. That cake tore me a new one, lesson learned!

How making a small cake for my granddaughter turned into a get together at my house? I was hoodwinked, bamboozled I tell ya! 

If I make this fondant again, 1) it would be in bulk (20 qt mixer bulk) in advance.  2) I would put it on a well chilled cake or better yet a ganached cake. 3) Use some sort of flavored oils because it still tasted like satin ice to me.

All and all it had great workability, no elephant skin, smooth texture, and it accepted the colors nicely. The only complaint for me personally was the taste.

OP, I will have to say that SI is still my favorite minus the taste:grin:, so I'm going to continue searching and experimenting.

kellyk1234 Posted 19 May 2014 , 8:18pm
post #27 of 31

Yea it's definitely a pain to make when you have to make multiple colors, but when it's just one or 2 batches with no color, its so simple and takes hardly no time.

I've only covered a buttercream frosted cake once with fondant, and after using ganache....NEVER again! I also never chill my ganache cakes, so the fondant always goes on a room temperature cake.

And sorry you didn't like the taste, I haven't experimented with many different fondants (only wilton, SI, MFF, and a few different MMF recipes)  so I can't compare it to much. I do add a little clear vanilla extract though.

enga Posted 20 May 2014 , 1:39am
post #28 of 31

That's what I would do in the future, make a large batch with no color. I had the kids taste it and they said it tasted like the Satin Ice with a little marshmallow flavor.

It's just me and I don't want to knock anyone who likes it. I have eaten marshmallows in the past (before my diet change) that were toasted. Now if I could make that flavor, I'd defiantly be hooked on MMF!

It was a pain to make but they were so happy with the cake flaws and all. I liked how the fondant came out though. I will use the recipe again, I'll just have do some experimenting to find the right marshmallow and fondant combination that works for me. I really appreciate the tips that you posted Kelly, thanks again :wink: 

kellyk1234 Posted 20 May 2014 , 2:04am
post #29 of 31

AWell works for someone doesn't always work for someone else but glad you gave it a try! :)

But toasted marshmallow fondant sounds amazing and makes me think of doing a s'mores cake. The image that comes to mind is blow torching the fondant after it's already on the cake! HA!!

enga Posted 20 May 2014 , 2:12am
post #30 of 31

Quote:

Well works for someone doesn't always work for someone else but glad you gave it a try! icon_smile.gif

But toasted marshmallow fondant sounds amazing and makes me think of doing a s'mores cake. The image that comes to mind is blow torching the fondant after it's already on the cake! HA!!

I'm glad I did too, at least now I know that I can make fondant at home that works just as good as the commercial ones. OMG, your killing me, I miss s'mores sooooooooo much! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%