Did I Do Something Wrong With This Swiss Merigue Better Cream?

Decorating By Hamaranpuu Updated 25 Jul 2014 , 1:29pm by Hamaranpuu

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 May 2014 , 1:54pm
post #31 of 40

cooking egg yolks properly is more important (imo because i've gotten deathly ill from uncooked egg yolks) and holding them properly after that -- crucial -- there's a thread going right now with a cooked fudge custard with egg yolks and it says it doesn't have to be kept refrigerated -- nobody's stressing over that-- nobody said the mixture should come to any temperature-- now that's got not sleeping well at night written all over it too --

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 May 2014 , 2:01pm
post #32 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

yes the food code put out by the fda also says eggs hot held for service must be cooked to 165 degrees -- however eggs can be cooked to 145 if served immediately -- 

but a meringue and a custard are egg products so i guess they cannot go under either of these guidelines because they are not hot held nor served hot-- so that's why a variance might be advisable--

and the food code is a guideline for states and regulatory agencies to adopt in whole or in part or with their own additions --

food for thought

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 20 May 2014 , 2:24pm
post #33 of 40

AIt's just one of those things I won't budge on. I've ingrained it into my brain to be as safe as possible, and that's something I feel is necessary. If it's hyper vigilant, so be it. :D

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 20 May 2014 , 2:43pm
post #34 of 40

K8memphis, I saw the post about that custard not needing to be refrigerated and came very close to posting to question it, but didn't feel like taking the time to word it nicely.

I'm a licensed residential kitchen and am not allowed to sell anything that requires refrigeration.  I'm required to show lab tests as proof that a recipe with dairy/eggs is safe to leave out. I can not believe the things people put in cakes and think are okay because "I do it all the time and no one's gotten sick yet." I know I'm in the minority and more paranoid than most (I worry if I leave my ABC out for more than a day or two), but to me it's just not worth the stress.

No matter how low the chance is that you'll get that ONE egg that makes people sick is, it would be my luck to get that egg!  I've got a son with medical issues that are 1 in 5,000, and a husband who has survived a very rare tumor that his father also had and survived when there is no genetic link to having them, so I know a bit about being being the "lucky" one in a million.  Now if only I could use that luck to win the lottery I'd be all set!

So nice to here from others that have have similar food safety concerns!  

ladyofivy99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyofivy99 Posted 20 May 2014 , 9:21pm
post #35 of 40

AI use egg whites from the carton now. I used to use whole eggs but felt guilty because I could never use up all the left over yolks. I haven't noticed a difference between individual eggs whites and ones from the carton and all I get are rave reviews. I use beyond buttercream's recipe and heat the eggs to 155/60.

There is a learning curve. My first couple of batches weren't great. I have added too much liquid.

I've become discouraged when everything didn't come together smoothly after adding the butter. Also when I used some SMBC the next day free it being refrigerated it didn't come together and I through it out. I now know that when it doesn't seem to come together to just keep beating. And if the SMBC or butter is too cold, to warm up a small portion in the microwave, add it back in and keep beating.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 21 May 2014 , 2:16pm
post #36 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyofivy99 

I use egg whites from the carton now. I used to use whole eggs but felt guilty because I could never use up all the left over yolks. I haven't noticed a difference between individual eggs whites and ones from the carton and all I get are rave reviews. I use beyond buttercream's recipe and heat the eggs to 155/60.

My dogs get to eat the egg yolks when I make SMBC, they love them and it is so good for them. The yolk is actually better for dogs than the white so it's a win win :)

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 21 May 2014 , 3:17pm
post #37 of 40

Please give Jennifer Bratko's SMBC recipe a try.  She outlines the steps and why she does what she does.  I have made SMBC before trying her recipe and methods and I found that this is so so much better.

Here's the link

http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/tutorial-swiss-meringue-buttercream/

Hope this helps!

Cakeymom

Hamaranpuu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hamaranpuu Posted 21 May 2014 , 4:03pm
post #38 of 40

Thank you so much! I will look in to all the recipes everyone is mentioning.

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 21 May 2014 , 4:32pm
post #39 of 40

I use Sweetapolita's recipe and cartoned egg whites.  I cook the egg whites and the sugar to between 150 and 160 in a stainless steel bowl over a pot of simmering water.  The sugar is completely disolved at 140, and I usually bring the mixture up to 150 (the egg whites are already pasteurized).  I then transfer the mixture to my KA bowl, and do everything else as per her instructions, and I've never had a batch not turn out.  If I feel the very stiff whites are still too warm, I will let them sit for a bit before adding the butter.  Rarely do I have it "break".  Even if it does break, it comes back nicely with more mixing.

I'm comfortable leaving it on the counter at room temperature, tightly covered, for a day or so.  It also freezes really well, and once thawed, comes back to a smooth, usable state with a quick zap in the microwave and a light whip.

One day I will step outside my comfort zone and try an different icing, but that one is sooo good and sooo easy, I've stayed with it.

Hamaranpuu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hamaranpuu Posted 25 Jul 2014 , 1:29pm
post #40 of 40

Thank you everyone SO MUCH for all of your advice. Especially thanks to everyone who took the time to read my blog post about it and brain storm threw all the pictures about what I may have done wrong. I just wanted to tell you all that last week I SUCCEEDED! I am so excited! I only changed two things. I let the butter soften over night to make sure it was nice and soft. (but not melty) And the second was I kept my mixer on a lower speed once the butter was added, and never turned it up. Took a few minus for things to come together but when it did, it was so wonderful!

I posted pictures of my Success on my glad as well if any of you are interested.

http://agapecakes.wordpress.com/2014/07/21/swiss-meringue-buttercream-success/

God bless!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%