First Anniversary - Cotton

Decorating By Claire138 Updated 23 Jun 2014 , 3:34pm by Claire138

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 14 May 2014 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 59

I've been asked to make a first anniversary cake with the theme of cotton and I'm stumped. Have any of you any idea of the sort of cake I could make? Client wants it to resemble cotton or something like that. Any thoughts?

58 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 May 2014 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 59

it's not the second anniversary gift? idk it's the gift that's 'sposed to be cotton not the cake-- i'm so confused--

a t-shirt cake or a monogrammed tea towel cake?

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 14 May 2014 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 59

AI'd ask the customer if they'd prefer a cotton plant decoration, or tidy-whiteys decoration. All kidding aside, sounds like a neat idea, but I'm unsure of where i'd take it. Without it looking laundry/ medical supplies themed. Good luck!

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 14 May 2014 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 59

That is one odd Anniversary theme!

I would incorporate the cotton flowers (not sure if they are flowers or what?), but I would use white cotton candy (I know its not easy if you don't have a machine but maybe you could buy premade white cotton candy) and make like a cascade of cotton flowers around the cake? Could be kinda cool looking. 

-K8memphis Posted 14 May 2014 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 59
craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 14 May 2014 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerlocks 

That is one odd Anniversary theme!

I would incorporate the cotton flowers (not sure if they are flowers or what?), but I would use white cotton candy (I know its not easy if you don't have a machine but maybe you could buy premade white cotton candy) and make like a cascade of cotton flowers around the cake? Could be kinda cool looking. 

Cotton does indeed have flowers, and their seeds have a soft fuzzy coating. I got some cotton seeds from a friend and I'll be planting them this year :). Cotton comes in other natural colors besides white: gray, green, and brown too.

It came from here: http://www.spar.msstate.edu/class/EPP-2008/Chapter%201/Reading%20material/Temperature%20including%20Extremes/cotton_heat_Units1.pdf

Text says:"Figure 17: Development of a cotton bloom. A white flower emerges on day 1 (a),
then gradually darkens and takes on a red color during days 2, 3 and 4 after
emergence (b and c). The bloom eventually dries up and either falls off or be-

comes a bloom tag (d)"

Gardening is my other hobby, lols. :)

I also Googled Cotton Wedding Flowers and got people's wedding decor that used cotton plants, it had some nice ideas. I also like this picture, it's a cotton boll that looks like a flower: http://www.agricorner.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Cotton-flower-bloom.jpg

Claire138 Posted 14 May 2014 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 59

Thanks everyone, K8 in France its cotton. I have no idea what to do. I worry that it will turn out looking like towels or laundry like Rfisher says. I have googled different ideas in terms of cake of cotton, anniversary cake cotton etc but have not found anything. Please keep the ideas coming, thanks so much.

Claire138 Posted 14 May 2014 , 5:03pm
post #8 of 59

Client wants something that will easily be recognized at the anniversary party as cotton for the first year,  I don't think she can be talked out of it.

The cotton flower looks cool, maybe I can do something with it. It's for 20 people so if I do a cake for that size and then have these cotton flowers on it? although I'm not sure how recognizable they are.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 14 May 2014 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 59

AI'm in a huge cotton field area! The dry pods with the fluffy cotton are beautiful. Just Google it! Lots of inspiration just from this screen shot here.[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3235886/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 14 May 2014 , 5:13pm
post #10 of 59

ACould you use an impression mat (or even a clean piece of lint-free, loose-weave fabric) to make the fondant covering the cake look like cotton fabric?

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 14 May 2014 , 5:16pm
post #11 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

I'm in a huge cotton field area! The dry pods with the fluffy cotton are beautiful. Just Google it! Lots of inspiration just from this screen shot here.

I may have to use you as a seed source! lols (joke) :lol:

AZCouture Posted 14 May 2014 , 5:16pm
post #12 of 59

AI'd make a main "blossom", dried of course, with the fluffy poofs. I'd make it look I broke a branch off, with a couple dry leaves attached. I'd bend that around the top tier slightly, like it was laid there, slightly bent upwards. I'd make one or two more smaller ones, to put on the cake drum, with a leaf. For the other decorations, I'd wrap fondant ribbon to look like raffia, and tie that around the biggest tierx right in the middle, and the top tier would have a monogram of some sort in complimentary colors.

AZCouture Posted 14 May 2014 , 5:17pm
post #13 of 59

AUnfussy, sleek, and draws attention to the cotton blossom, while addressing the couple. Bing, bang, bam. I'm pretty minimalist though.

AZCouture Posted 14 May 2014 , 5:18pm
post #14 of 59

ARaffia tied in simple knot, or pretty bow...not sure which.

AZCouture Posted 14 May 2014 , 5:19pm
post #15 of 59

A4 and 7 inch round tiers, if that's enough (not near my charts, and I don't have that stuff memorized). Or a 5 and 7 or 8.

AZCouture Posted 14 May 2014 , 5:20pm
post #16 of 59

AMain blossom full and poofy, smaller ones closed and or just opening, maybe still in stages of greenery. Ok....I'm done...lol

AZCouture Posted 14 May 2014 , 5:28pm
post #17 of 59

ANot done yet. How the heck have I not done a cotton themed cake yet...I'm surrounded by the dang fields! Done plenty of the other crops around here, but not that yet.

Rfisher Posted 14 May 2014 , 5:40pm
post #18 of 59

AI'll order the cakes from you! But along with the flowers and dried poofs, I'll still want the tidy-whiteys on it. I'll even provide 1970's SEARS men's pics for inspiration.......

Claire138 Posted 14 May 2014 , 5:49pm
post #19 of 59

Thanks so so much AZ, love the ideas. Not sure she wants 2 tiers though, she is happy with one tier (she doesn't want to pay for 2 tiers). It's only for 20 people so doesn't need to be big. I'll speak to her and let you know:)

Claire138 Posted 14 May 2014 , 6:10pm
post #20 of 59

What do you guys think of these?

-K8memphis Posted 14 May 2014 , 6:23pm
post #21 of 59

idk--the first one is baby shower and the second one is tied up lady fingers--neither esp cotton-y to me

a cotton field with a cotton bale or two?

i think a monogrammed tea towel with a cotton boll embroidered on it--would be easy & flat & cottony & anniversarious

Claire138 Posted 14 May 2014 , 6:27pm
post #22 of 59

Quote:

anniversarious

Just burst out laughing at that word, love it!

You're right about the cakes, I'm just trying to get a feel although I definitely think that between AZ's idea and yours I will manage to make something resembling cotton.

Rfisher we're still waiting for the photo......

-K8memphis Posted 14 May 2014 , 6:31pm
post #23 of 59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire138 

Quote:
anniversarious

Just burst out laughing at that word, love it!

oh thank you! i love to make up words -- one of my favorite things -- you made my day

Rfisher Posted 14 May 2014 , 7:01pm
post #25 of 59

Ahttp://www.pinterest.com/pin/322288917055325507/ Sure, yeah, um ok...worse than the creepy doll search of yesterday.

as you wish Posted 14 May 2014 , 7:05pm
post #26 of 59

A

Original message sent by Rfisher

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/322288917055325507/ Sure, yeah, um ok...worse than the creepy doll search of yesterday.

How do I un-see that?!

-K8memphis Posted 14 May 2014 , 7:19pm
post #28 of 59

i like that rfisher-- very cottonitious

we actually have a cotton museum here 

https://shop.memphiscottonmuseum.org/

the 'fear no weevil' t-shirt is kinda pithy hahahaha

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 14 May 2014 , 7:31pm
post #29 of 59

I think of clouds, cottony clouds, course it could be because we rarely have sunshine and clear skies here.  Those puffy white clouds that AZ made a while back are stuck in my mind.

FreckledCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FreckledCake Posted 14 May 2014 , 7:36pm
post #30 of 59

AI've actually seen cotton used a wedding "flower" and it was really beautifully done. AZ's ideas make me think of something like this..[URL=http://www.cottonman.com/images/Bridal%20Bouquet/Duval%20Boutonnieres%201.jpg]http://www.cottonman.com/images/Bridal%20Bouquet/Duval%20Boutonnieres%201.jpg[/URL]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%