My Cake Is Too Dense

Decorating By minions Updated 14 May 2014 , 2:10am by bubs1stbirthday

minions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minions Posted 13 May 2014 , 1:54am
post #1 of 14

ive used all sorts of recipes to make chocolate cakes. I usually look for "moist" cake recipes. Right, i make them and of course after icing and decorating i put it in the fridge for until i need to take it out. When i remove and serve... its very hard and dense. Is that normal? it kind of has a texture of brownies but much harder. If i want a move fluffier cake what recipe should i look for? or should i use cocoa powder instead of chocolate in the chocolte cakes.. 

13 replies
georgiacakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiacakelady Posted 13 May 2014 , 2:45am
post #2 of 14

AI use the hersheys chocolate cake recipe, it uses cocoa powder and is very moist.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 13 May 2014 , 3:13am
post #3 of 14

This is my absolute favourite chocolate cake http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Extreme-Chocolate-Cake/?scale=6&ismetric=1 - I do make one change to it though. I add an extra 50% of the amount of flour. I find the original recipe to be far too soft and hard to work with. On adding the extra flour I get a beautiful fluffy textured cake that is easier to handle etc.

I love it split then a smear of buttercream and a thick filling of whipped cream then a small amount of whipped cream over the top - delicious, but great by itself too.

It does stay sticky for some reason but once you put the whipped cream over it you wont notice and it truly is a delicious cake. 

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 13 May 2014 , 3:18am
post #4 of 14

Are they butter cakes?

I believe that butter based cakes need to come back to room temperature before you consume them... 

Why do you put them in the fridge?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 13 May 2014 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubs1stbirthday 

This is my absolute favourite chocolate cake http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Extreme-Chocolate-Cake/?scale=6&ismetric=1 - I do make one change to it though. I add an extra 50% of the amount of flour. I find the original recipe to be far too soft and hard to work with. On adding the extra flour I get a beautiful fluffy textured cake that is easier to handle etc.

You're right, it's a great recipe but (as you stated) only with the added flour. I also use this when making ice cream cakes since it's still soft enough when frozen. (The recipe is a half-size version of the original Hershey's cake.) 

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 13 May 2014 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 14

AI agree with previous posters . Also, I would suggest trying a chocolate chiffon? Works great for me.

Rohini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rohini Posted 13 May 2014 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 14

Hi! I agree with AAtkT. If the recipe you are using requires butter and sugar to be whipped first before adding the other ingredients, then the cake needs to stand in room temperature for a couple of hours (if it has been in the fridge) before it is eaten.

I have made chocolate cakes like this and have had them in the fridge because I had chocolate mousse and raspberry mousse as fillings. On the day of the party, I usually take them out of the fridge maybe 3-4 hours before they are to be eaten and let hem stand in room temperature. And they have always been 'melt-in-your-mouth' moist :)

minions Posted 14 May 2014 , 1:30am
post #8 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAtKT 

Are they butter cakes?

I believe that butter based cakes need to come back to room temperature before you consume them... 

i put them in the fridge because usually i use buttercream frosting and whipped cream frosting and these need to set before they need to be cut in my opinion

minions Posted 14 May 2014 , 1:32am
post #9 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAtKT 

Are they butter cakes?

sorry, yes they are butter cakes... so before serving i wait about 1/2 an hour for it to come to room temp? or is that to long.. 

mzteaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mzteaze Posted 14 May 2014 , 1:32am
post #10 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by minions 

i put them in the fridge because usually i use buttercream frosting and whipped cream frosting and these need to set before they need to be cut in my opinion

You are correct about them needing to set, but you should pull them out and allow to come to room temperature to serve.  Otherwise the texture of the cake will seem to be dense and heavy.

minions Posted 14 May 2014 , 1:34am
post #11 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

You're right, it's a great recipe but (as you stated) only with the added flour. I also use this when making ice cream cakes since it's still soft enough when frozen. (The recipe is a half-size version of the original Hershey's cake.) 

ohhh i see you guys say its fluffy :) thanks for the recipe ill try it someday :) also what do you mean by added flour? like how the other poster says 'added 50%" im not sure what that really mean actually...

minions Posted 14 May 2014 , 1:35am
post #12 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by mzteaze 

You are correct about them needing to set, but you should pull them out and allow to come to room temperature to serve.  Otherwise the texture of the cake will seem to be dense and heavy.

oh, so thats my problem. thanks :) 

minions Posted 14 May 2014 , 1:37am
post #13 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohini 

Hi! I agree with AAtkT. If the recipe you are using requires butter and sugar to be whipped first before adding the other ingredients, then the cake needs to stand in room temperature for a couple of hours (if it has been in the fridge) before it is eaten.

I have made chocolate cakes like this and have had them in the fridge because I had chocolate mousse and raspberry mousse as fillings. On the day of the party, I usually take them out of the fridge maybe 3-4 hours before they are to be eaten and let hem stand in room temperature. And they have always been 'melt-in-your-mouth' moist :)

hey! thats great! so 3-4 hours before serving :) thanks!

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 14 May 2014 , 2:10am
post #14 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by minions 

ohhh i see you guys say its fluffy :) thanks for the recipe ill try it someday :) also what do you mean by added flour? like how the other poster says 'added 50%" im not sure what that really mean actually...

It means that you take the flour measurement and then add an extra 50% of that to the recipe. So for 150gm flour you then add an EXTRA 75gm (as 50% of 150gm is 75gm) for a total of 225gm of flour as the extra flour gives the cake more structure. Leave the rest of the recipe as it is, only adjust the flour.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%