Third Party

Business By angelbutler Updated 13 May 2014 , 5:41pm by pastrypet

angelbutler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelbutler Posted 12 May 2014 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 19

AA friend who has a party business, wants to design cakes with/for his clients and then have me make the cakes. Would anyone here work through a third party? I like to have personal contact with my clients to ensure the cake they want, and I see a client as the person who ends up receiving and eating the cake, not the inbetween person, as my friend sees it. Any thots? I see a future of misunderstandings and added stress working indirectly as I often have last minute questions and so on, and I dislike having to wait for replies when going through a third party.

18 replies
Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 12 May 2014 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 19

Here's the thing with having a middle man..there is constant miss-communication. I have a wonderful friend who is a Henna artist, and we tried to work together to make specialty "Henna Cakes" (made with Royal Icing..not henna). While it was a great idea, and the cakes we made together were excellent..it nearly tore our friendship apart. There is a constant miss-communication when one person is putting getting all the information about the cakes and then just passing it along to you..I know your situation is different but my experience is that unless you are physically there to help with every consultation there will be friction. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 May 2014 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 19

it really sounds like he should learn to decorate

Gingerlocks Posted 12 May 2014 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

it really sounds like he should learn to decorate

I agree..unless he/she knows how to decorate how can they realistically design a cake? If the bride gives him a budget to be mindful of, how would they know what cake and design that budget can accommodate? 

angelbutler Posted 12 May 2014 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 19

AHe is completely clueless when it comes to cakes and what it entails. He Googles and chooses an image and says he is a designer. When I told him I have chosen to run my business only with direct contact with clients, he uses the reasoning that he is the client.....but that does not make sense to me.

-K8memphis Posted 12 May 2014 , 5:28pm
post #6 of 19

if he is clueless about cakes as gingerlocks says it would be disastrous to do business with him

Gingerlocks Posted 12 May 2014 , 6:08pm
post #7 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelbutler 

He is completely clueless when it comes to cakes and what it entails. He Googles and chooses an image and says he is a designer. When I told him I have chosen to run my business only with direct contact with clients, he uses the reasoning that he is the client.....but that does not make sense to me.

O jeeze, this guy sounds sketchy. I mean he is NOT the client, no matter what he says..nor is he some big desinger. Run!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 12 May 2014 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 19

ANot a chance in that often referred to really hot place that some people believe bad people go to. The only way I'd consider such an arrangement, and I'd have to be hard up for business, is a set of specific predetermined designs that are ordered "as is, as they look, no deviations from the picture" kind of setup. Personalized as far as name and colors go, but [B]that's it.[/B]

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 12 May 2014 , 6:50pm
post #9 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

a set of specific predetermined designs that are ordered "as is, as they look, no deviations from the picture" kind of setup. Personalized as far as name and colors go, but that's it.

Exactly, this works... 6-8 designs to choose from, deliver, done.

angelbutler Posted 12 May 2014 , 7:00pm
post #10 of 19

AThanks. That is all helpful insight. I did not feel right about it, but wanted to get some feedback from others in the cake business.

-K8memphis Posted 12 May 2014 , 7:46pm
post #11 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWR41 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

a set of specific predetermined designs that are ordered "as is, as they look, no deviations from the picture" kind of setup. Personalized as far as name and colors go, but that's it.

Exactly, this works... 6-8 designs to choose from, deliver, done.

yes this is perfect--however i don't think this is what ron ben-michaelangelo-wanna -be has in mind huh

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 12 May 2014 , 7:59pm
post #12 of 19

AProbably not, but that would be his option from me..take it or leave it, buddy.

angelbutler Posted 13 May 2014 , 12:39pm
post #13 of 19

I will be informing him of my decision to be the sole designer, but that if he does have clients that want cakes, he could refer them to me by passing them my email address or website. However, I can already figure he would want a referral fee. Is that something to do? And if so how much is a good fee?

He had wanted a 15% fee for his "referral/designing".  I find that too high, for the fact that he does not actually do much.

I do not really need the business right now, and all things considered  if I give a 5% fee for the 10 seconds it takes to give my contact info, that is way more then I even make for all the hours spent making the cakes. However, I do know he is trying to be nice in giving me business, so I do not want to bash his attempt at goodwill...he just is clueless to the cake aspect of parties, but somehow thinks he knows how to run that part of the business rather then leave it the ones who do, in this case me.

Any advice?

I do plenty of referrals with other cake decorators in the area, and we have no fees between us.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 13 May 2014 , 1:20pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:

He is completely clueless when it comes to cakes and what it entails. He Googles and chooses an image and says he is a designer. When I told him I have chosen to run my business only with direct contact with clients, he uses the reasoning that he is the client.....but that does not make sense to me.

I think you have answered your own question, but if not, here's another vote for keeping away from this person. 

As far as the referral/design fee, since he will not be "designing" then he's only open to the possibility of a referral fee.  15% is way too much, especially if you don't need the business. 

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 13 May 2014 , 1:44pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:

I do not really need the business right now, and all things considered  if I give a 5% fee ... that is way more then I even make for all the hours spent making the cakes.  

Any advice?

My best advice: You might want to think about your pricing structure. Your statement needs exploration.

angelbutler Posted 13 May 2014 , 2:09pm
post #16 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

My best advice: You might want to think about your pricing structure. Your statement needs exploration.

I can try to break it down....if I receive an order for a 100 $ cake, he gets 5 dollars for the 30 seconds it takes to pass my email along. If I got 5 dollars every 30 seconds, then a custom made cake that takes me roughly 5 to 6 hours to make, would actually cost 3000 to 3600....that is the meaning of my statement....making the cakes is the hard work, and so either I have to lose out money, or he has to charge clients more....

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 13 May 2014 , 3:17pm
post #17 of 19

I'm no expert, but he sound like a moocher. If he wants money that badly, tell him to get a job.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 13 May 2014 , 5:24pm
post #18 of 19

There are just too many red flags.   I agree with AZ on the preset design if you go forward with this.  The potential for miscommunication is far to great.  This is your business & reputation. 

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 13 May 2014 , 5:41pm
post #19 of 19

If you don't need the extra business, run. Like the wind.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%