How Do I Make Crisp Buttercream Stripes Without Color Bleeding?

Decorating By katie11 Updated 14 May 2014 , 11:31am by FlourPots

katie11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie11 Posted 12 May 2014 , 1:36am
post #1 of 10

My son wants a Canadian flag cupcake cake for his birthday tomorrow (don't ask, he just really, really enjoyed our trip to Niagara Falls).  Anyway, I'm nervous about making the striped part of the flag (red - white - red).  Are there any tricks to making crisp, straight lines without letting the red bleed onto the white?  I thought about covering the entire base in white and then piping the red on, but I don't want the elevation to be different between sections.  Does that make sense?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Katie

9 replies
remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 12 May 2014 , 2:37am
post #2 of 10

You can do a butter cream transfer of a Canadian flag. Here is a link below showing how to do a transfer with butter cream. I once did one of a ninja turtle and it turned out pretty good.  This is just an easy way to do one that even a beginner can do easily. If you use buttercream, the colors should not bleed. Good luck!! I am sure there will be others here who may have better ideas than me.

katie11 Posted 12 May 2014 , 3:10am
post #3 of 10

Thanks!  I'll definitely do a bc transfer for the maple leaf, but I don't think I want to make the entire top a transfer. Maybe I could do the middle white section with the leaf and then just place it on top of the red?  I think that might work.

Thanks again!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 12 May 2014 , 11:58am
post #4 of 10

Maybe you can modify this awesome technique to work for you: http://sweetnessandbite.com/2013/10/perfect-buttercream-stripes-part-two/

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 12 May 2014 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 10

Actually, buttercream does bleed, especially with a frozen transfer technique due to condensation. I've done this myself, so I know. My only advice to offer would be to let one of the colors crust and then apply the other color. 

kryptonite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kryptonite Posted 12 May 2014 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 10

I agree with Flourpots and FioreCakes. That's what I did for the stripes on this cake.This was supposed to be a topsy turvy cake, but the bottom tier wasn't cooperating. Cake covered in buttercream with modeling chocolate fish.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 12 May 2014 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 10

When I did the butter cream transfer, I had white icing on top of cake but my ninja turtle transfer was blue and red. Mine did not bleed at all.Once it was frozen and I put on cake I had no issues.  Maybe it depends on your icing or maybe I was just lucky. I have seen many people use transfers with no bleeding problems. Maybe their way will work better. I am not an expert so I am learning from others. Good luck and post a picture. 

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 12 May 2014 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 10

Yes but she will have white and red stripes next to each other in her transfer. The red piped directly next to the white without waiting for one of them to crust may bleed regardless of freezing or not. You are talking about them not bleeding onto the white on the cake…I think she wants the white and the red to be next to each other and not two different dimensions. I will say though, the only color I have trouble with bleeding is black…it bleeds pink! So you may actually be fine just piping on the white…waiting a bit and then piping the red. With things like this, you really never know until you try it with your icing, in your environment. 

katie11 Posted 13 May 2014 , 8:11pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone!  I actually had success icing the flag white, then applying really thin red color blocks using the waxed paper technique described in the tutorial (thanks Flourpots!).  It worked like a charm with a nice crisp line and no bleeding!  I did an easy bc transfer for the leaf.  I guess we need to move from VA to Canada now!  Not my best work, but good enough for kindergarten!

I'll try to attach a picture.

file://localhost/Users/kathryn/Desktop/photo%20copy.JPG

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 14 May 2014 , 11:31am
post #10 of 10

AYou're welcome!

(The picture link doesn't work)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%