Stencilling A Cake

Decorating By beckybakes617 Updated 9 May 2014 , 6:25pm by -K8memphis

beckybakes617 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckybakes617 Posted 9 May 2014 , 1:02pm
post #1 of 11

I've been asked if I am able to create a cake similar to this. I'm just wondering if it has actually been achieved by stencils, or has it been done with something similar to gumpaste? Sugarveil maybe? If it is stencils, do you think it's buttercream or royal icing that's been used?  I have never done stencils before, and I'm a bit worried about using this technique as it will be travelling for three hours to the venue!!

Thank you for any advice :-)

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

10 replies
cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 9 May 2014 , 1:41pm
post #2 of 11

I don't think it's stencils.  My vote is that someone used a cutting machine (Cricut, etc) to cut this out.  It might have been a Sugar Veil / Sugar Dress mat.  Whatever they did, it's beautiful.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 May 2014 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 11

me too i vote cutting machine--it is beautiful--

what i like is the bottom most plate is smaller and it still looks good--i mean obviously it's on a pedastel but then the top of that is smaller than  the bottom board the cake is on but the decor flows well and it doesn't look off as the wrong size plateau often does

well done

beckybakes617 Posted 9 May 2014 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks for the replies, so you don't think the birds/bird cages are edible?

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 9 May 2014 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by beckybakes617 

Thanks for the replies, so you don't think the birds/bird cages are edible?

No, I believe they are edible.  I think someone cut gumpaste or modeling chocolate into the bird / branch shape using a cutting machine like the Cricut or Silhouette.

-K8memphis Posted 9 May 2014 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 11

i've never used one of those machines-- i think they take gum paste which technically is edible--- if one can use fondant and i don't know if it's possible or not--but if it is it would be tasty and chewable although crispy--dry fondant is less crispy than gum paste--

so to me, that amount of whatever that  is placed on the cake should be edible--even though it might be discarded

just my one and a half sense cents

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 9 May 2014 , 2:24pm
post #7 of 11

I have been told that gum paste tastes horrible. I have never tasted it so I am only going by what someone else has told me. Never the less, the cake is beautiful!!!

beckybakes617 Posted 9 May 2014 , 2:39pm
post #8 of 11

Ahh right sorry, I understand. I did a search for the stencils and there's none that match these, so I think it would have to have been done that way.

-K8memphis Posted 9 May 2014 , 2:59pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by remnant3333 

I have been told that gum paste tastes horrible. I have never tasted it so I am only going by what someone else has told me. Never the less, the cake is beautiful!!!

i agree with you and boys especially teenagers will eat anything especially if you tell them not to (game on!) and i wonder what it does to your innards-- but i'm just yapping--it is edible and the cake is beautiful and i think it's too thick to be a stencil 

best bird cages & birdies to you-- a similar look could be achieved with piping royal on rounded formers--would not have the cut edges would have rounded edges but could be done maybe-- 

i did a bi-plane out of  royal and buildings have been made with it so it's definitely do-able-- i mean in lieu of buying the cricut for hundreds of dollars

beckybakes617 Posted 9 May 2014 , 6:24pm
post #10 of 11

ARegarding the buttercream stencilling onto cake, would it be ok to travel 3 hours in a car or is that a bit risky?

-K8memphis Posted 9 May 2014 , 6:25pm
post #11 of 11

not any more than any cake traveling 3 hours--has to be securely packaged-- would not depend on the air conditioning in the car for a drive of that length

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%