Stabilized Whipped Cream Recipe?

Baking By es329 Updated 12 May 2014 , 5:44pm by lisatipperoo

es329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
es329 Posted 9 May 2014 , 4:07am
post #1 of 15

AI'm still struggling to get my whipped cream icing stabilized. Does anyone have a good recipe? I've tried several different ways (adding pudding mix or gelatin) without much luck.

Thanks in advance.

14 replies
thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 9 May 2014 , 4:17am
post #2 of 15

AWhat's your problem in particular? Is it the process or the recipe itself?

es329 Posted 9 May 2014 , 4:26am
post #3 of 15

A

Original message sent by thecakewitch

What's your problem in particular? Is it the process or the recipe itself?

Mainly just getting it stabilized enough to decorate with.

SystemMod2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SystemMod2 Posted 9 May 2014 , 7:42am
post #4 of 15

You can buy a commercial fresh whipped cream stabiliser - it comes as a white powder.

HTH.

es329 Posted 9 May 2014 , 11:24am
post #5 of 15

A

Original message sent by SystemMod2

You can buy a commercial fresh whipped cream stabiliser - it comes as a white powder.

HTH.

Thank you. Do you know if it changes the taste? That was one thing I didn't like about adding the pudding mix ( it worked but tasted a lot different).

es329 Posted 9 May 2014 , 11:35am
post #6 of 15

AOoh what about piping gel to stabilize? Does that work? Does it change the taste?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 May 2014 , 11:55am
post #7 of 15

piping gel works great--but depending on the definition of 'whipped cream icing' if you mean just sweetened, flavored real whipped cream then if it is whipped properly it will hold like glue--think about it--if cream is whipped too much it turns to butter right--so if you beat it just less than that it is very stable all by itself without any additions--if it is not beaten enough it weeps and is poo--

i used to use piping gel and while it works great it is not necessary if you're just doing the whipped cream--if ingredients other than flavor and sugar are added it's a different product/story

don't get whipped by your whipped cream -- (just being sillly) :grin: 

-K8memphis Posted 9 May 2014 , 12:39pm
post #8 of 15

but i mean this icing does not come out smoothy smooth--it is cloud like--pretty white but a fluffy surface--so if that's what you mean by stabilized--it's not gonna happen--by stabilized i mean not weepy--has great holding quality to it but of course it has to be kept well chilled

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 9 May 2014 , 2:20pm
post #9 of 15

Here is the recipe that I use with piping gel. It works perfectly for covering cake and you can  pipe with it. I normally will put piping bag in freezer for about 5 minutes or longer then I pipe with it. If people are going to eat all of the cake in the same day you probably do not need the piping gel but I always put the piping gel just in case they do not eat it all and put it in refrigerator. I would rather be safe than sorry because I do not want whip cream to fall.

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Stabilized-Whipped-Cream-Icing-1

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 10 May 2014 , 4:31am
post #10 of 15

I use Dr. Oetker "Whip it"  stabilizer for whipping cream. 2 packs (10g)each, there is instructions on the back in english.  I buy it at Amazon.com. I have used gelatin and didn`t like it.

lisatipperoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisatipperoo Posted 12 May 2014 , 4:59pm
post #11 of 15

Hi this is my first posting so please forgive me. I have had several customers asking for a "less sweet" icing and I want to try a whipped cream icing. But because I am a home baker, I cannot legally sell anything that MUST be kept chilled. Does this stabilized whip cream hold up well out of the refrigerator and, if so, for how many hours? My concern is for a graduation party in June if they have the party outdoors. Please let me know your opinion on this. :-) I've never made any kind of stabilized whip cream icing :-(

-K8memphis Posted 12 May 2014 , 5:06pm
post #12 of 15

no not whipped cream--

http://www.richs.com/richs-on-trend-bettercreme-whipped-icing-flavors-take-the-cake/

i think bettercreme is shelf stable -- somebody smart will correct this if it's not ;)

haven't used it in forever

lisatipperoo Posted 12 May 2014 , 5:16pm
post #13 of 15

Doesn't look like I'll be able to get Rich's Bettercreme...it's not available at my local Sam's Club or from Amazon.com. I live in the close to middle of nowhere so it might be hard to get my hands on it. Thanks though! Any other suggestions? 

-K8memphis Posted 12 May 2014 , 5:30pm
post #14 of 15

ask your local grocery store manager if he can get it--worth a try-- you might need to buy the case-- do you have a jewish community nearby? they use this

lisatipperoo Posted 12 May 2014 , 5:44pm
post #15 of 15

I'll try at my grocery store-- can't hurt to ask! :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%