Where Are These People Getting These Prices??

Business By BrandyCakes83 Updated 20 Nov 2014 , 9:38pm by smysha

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 May 2014 , 2:13pm
post #91 of 201

see ohio always allowed cakers to work from home one way or another--so the extra competition of new cottage law is not a primary concern there for you and ohioans-- and come to think of it california does have cottage law now so the wilton teacher is actually out of danger of getting busted for being a meth lab--it's legal now--maybe not the exact way she is suggesting but it would be most difficult to turn her in now--which you decided not to anyhow but i'm just saying there's no cause after all --

embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 12 May 2014 , 2:39pm
post #92 of 201

I see the opposite end of this all the time at work.  We get a lot of customers asking for fondant, for example, or tiered cakes or something-or-other.  We're a supermarket.  We're your one-stop shop for basic cake, and that's it.  My guess is that these people have already gone around to the other bakeries in the area and have balked at the prices, so of course they're thinking they can get the same thing from us for less.  UM, NO (said professionally, of course).

Most customers will sigh and get all wishy-washy.  You can see it in their faces -- "Should I go back to X bakery and spend the $ or order here for something basic and not really what I want but it's less expensive here..."  It's 50-50 most of the time.

Then every so often there's a customer who will counter your professional NO and explanation why it's NO.  Sometimes they're so aghast they'll actually complain to upper management, who, of course, can't do anything but listen.  When they walk away we're all thinking, "Champagne taste on a beer budget but you CAN afford the champagne but you just don't want to spend the $" (our store is in a rather well-heeled area). 

I feel for those of you who have your own businesses and are trying to survive in this climate.

cakesbylorna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbylorna Posted 12 May 2014 , 3:16pm
post #93 of 201

$60 LOL. I am from the UK, here too I get some idiotic ideas of pricing.  Some of them actually have me questioning myself until my partner reminds me we are not even expensive in the first place.  

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 12 May 2014 , 3:46pm
post #94 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 

I'll add that the internet and access to free tutorials, videos, etc is the digital equivalent of the cottage food law. In the minds of a lot of decorators, everything should be free if some things are free. I've seen some pretty angry posts when people didn't get something for free and were told that they could buy it at XYZ website. "Why should I pay for that? How dare you try to charge me!" kind of stuff. Saying that is no different than a customer saying that they think you charge too much because you want more than $35 for a three-tiered cake!

O yes..soo many people want free education; I've even had people email me asking for info on how I did a certain cake or the technique used. I spent quite a lot of years and money taking night class to learn how to make these cakes...and not just to give away free information to you?! And the indignant, self righteous attitude that comes out when you politely decline to give away your proprietary secrets, its nuts! Youtube, with all its free tutorials can suck my big toe.

embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 12 May 2014 , 5:00pm
post #95 of 201

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gingerlocks 

O yes..soo many people want free education; I've even had people email me asking for info on how I did a certain cake or the technique used. I spent quite a lot of years and money taking night class to learn how to make these cakes...and not just to give away free information to you?! And the indignant, self righteous attitude that comes out when you politely decline to give away your proprietary secrets, its nuts! Youtube, with all its free tutorials can suck my big toe.

This makes me think back to a cake community over on FB where the moderator once made a tell-it-like-it-is post about people asking her how she does one of her more popular techniques.  She wasn't snarky IMO, but OMG, the number of people who lambasted her "unkindness" and "unprofessionalism" for NOT sharing her techniques was over the top.  I was reading along thinking, "Really?  REALLY?!?"

Some people either simply have no clue or they have a clue but want to be a total arses for the sake of being arses.  If you want to learn badly enough and can't/won't find a tutorial because you're lazy, there's nothing stopping you from figuring it out for yourself.  That's how I teach myself new techniques :shrug:

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 12 May 2014 , 6:21pm
post #96 of 201

AI get requests weekly on my business page for tutorials and step by step instructions on certain things, and really involved requests that would take a lot of time to explain. So the last couple ones, I asked them when they could set aside a few hours to dedicate to Skyping. Have two iced cakes ready to go, and some other supplies that I would tell them they need when they figured out a good time. They said yes, I can do it on blahblah day...great, I said! I can show you everything you need to know, and I'll be forwarding a PayPal invoice before we got started.

Why would you charge me?!? Why [B]wouldn't[/B] I charge you? Go away. I felt slightly bad the first time I did that, but seriously...people need to think about what they're asking before they open their mouths. I couldn't fathom asking someone for detailed instructions on something, for [B]free[/B], and yet it's just no big deal for others, and to even get huffy when turned down. Who is breeding and nurturing these gimme gimme people??

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 12 May 2014 , 6:30pm
post #97 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Who is breeding and nurturing these gimme gimme people??

Society.

MimiFix Posted 12 May 2014 , 6:36pm
post #98 of 201
Quote:

... Who is breeding and nurturing these gimme gimme people??

Quote: 

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

Society.

Did I write that? I've been immersed in the food industry for more than thirty years. But it's only been in the past couple of years that I've become so jaded. 

Annie8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annie8 Posted 12 May 2014 , 6:49pm
post #99 of 201

I appreciate the tutorials when I do find them, but I'd never expect or demand someone give me their trade secrets for nothing.  It's disheartening, really, that people think it's ok to blast people in public when they aren't given something for free.  So tacky. I've found free tutorials and I've paid for tutorials.  Living where I do, there are not a lot of classes to be found other than the ones online.  By following some people on facebook, I've found amazing classes offered in California, New York, Florida, and Arizona to name a few.  Oh, I wish I lived closer to take advantage of the offerings!  I've even thought about buying a plane ticket out to those places to take the class, have a couple days to explore the area, and then fly back home.  Maybe in a couple years it'll be a more feasible option for me. 

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 12 May 2014 , 7:07pm
post #100 of 201

Quote:

Who is breeding and nurturing these gimme gimme people??

Remember the Freemasons in the middle ages? Didn't they start out as a bunch of stone builders dedicated to keeping tricks of their trade secret? I think if someone wanted to learn, they just said something like... sorry...it's magic.  And of course, people believed that as it was a superstitious time and hardly anyone actually received any kind of education. We've come from that kind of thinking to what we have now where it's become become bad manners to be "selfish" and protect your business.

Human nature hasn't changed; people have always been "gimme". But access and customs have. Why? Fewer people have businesses and we now have something like a mob rule or ochlocracy of the internet.

-K8memphis Posted 12 May 2014 , 7:07pm
post #101 of 201
entitlement and the woe producing effects thereof is a constant theme on here--are we bitter about their entitlement? :-D

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

... Who is breeding and nurturing these gimme gimme people??

Quote: 

Society.

Did I write that? I've been immersed in the food industry for more than thirty years. But it's only been in the past couple of years that I've become so jaded. 

why do you think/say that, mimi?

Gingerlocks Posted 12 May 2014 , 7:14pm
post #102 of 201

Well I think if you have training and are knowledgable in decorating..you can look at something and just know how they did it. People in the know, don't ask for free information, they look and study and figure it out, or they admire and don't try it.

Its people who have no idea about business or cake decorating that are doing the demanding (the youtube tutorial watchers and Wilton Method 1 grads)..they think it must be soo easy to pick up and iced cake and ruffle tool, and poof they will magically make a beautiful 3 thierd cake with a cascade of hand made ombre roses!

howsweet Posted 12 May 2014 , 7:21pm
post #103 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 
entitlement and the woe producing effects thereof is a constant theme on here--are we bitter about their entitlement

So what if anyone is?

And I was accused of bitterness as being the reason for my constant pricing comments. Bitterness is very far off from why I bother with this, but suggesting bitterness as my motive is definitely representative of a certain type of small minded thinking.

I'm sure the person who accused me of bitterness thought she'd really tossed the ultimate insult at me... since any kind of strong feelings are not good manners.

-K8memphis Posted 12 May 2014 , 7:22pm
post #104 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet 

Remember the Freemasons in the middle ages? 

i was just a baby then...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gingerlocks 

Well I think if you have training and are knowledgable in decorating..you can look at something and just know how they did it. People in the know, don't ask for free information, they look and study and figure it out, or they admire and don't try it.

Its people who have no idea about business or cake decorating that are doing the demanding (the youtube tutorial watchers and Wilton Method 1 grads)..they think it must be soo easy to pick up and iced cake and ruffle tool, and poof they will magically make a beautiful 3 thierd cake with a cascade of hand made ombre roses!

back in the dark ages but not as far back as howsweet goes, there was no internet to learn this from--library books was as far as you got--took classes at wilton i mean at their location in chicagoland--got a job at a bakery--but other than that...

so -- idk it's kind of emily post for us to teach these coupla generations of etiquetteless tech savvies that they need to have some manners? or just keep surfing because somebody will be posting what they want shortly...no?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 12 May 2014 , 7:23pm
post #105 of 201

Turn on, tune in, drop out........Free love.......drugs, ***, rock and roll.........communes........ shared property..............the 60's revolution that was going to break down society and build utopia in it's place.    Isn't this just Timothy Leary's Utopia, why isn't everyone happy.   You have no right to possess anything and greedily prevent others from having it also................   ( maybe that was just a bad movie I saw on cable once )   Never mind.

Gingerlocks Posted 12 May 2014 , 7:29pm
post #106 of 201

Quote:

so -- idk it's kind of emily post for us to teach these coupla generations of etiquetteless tech savvies that they need to have some manners? or just keep surfing because somebody will be posting what they want shortly...no?

O of course..they will get their info one way or another, no doubt about that; just not from me. And even if they did have the information they are after, its takes a lot of practice to execute something properly.

MBalaska Posted 12 May 2014 , 7:32pm
post #107 of 201

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah I remember them, even though I was also a baby then.......

I learned from one or two books.......by Wilton.  And I actually had to read the thing by myself, and to myself, and no one else came and helped me.   The jerks.   They had a lot of nerve making me BUY their book.

-K8memphis Posted 12 May 2014 , 7:40pm
post #108 of 201
Quote:

Quote:
entitlement and the woe producing effects thereof is a constant theme on here--are we bitter about their entitlement

So what if anyone is?

And I was accused of bitterness as being the reason for my constant pricing comments. Bitterness is very far off from why I bother with this, but suggesting bitterness is my motive is definitely representative of a type of small minded thinking that would suggest such a thing.

I'm sure the person who accused me of bitterness thought she's really tossed the ultimate insult at me... since any kind of strong feelings are not good manners.

i like most of your pricing posts, hs--i've defended you several times -- i kinda got lost in the baggage there--i didn't mean anything personal w/you-- i was teasing about my age --i don't remember the freemasons because i don't think i ever knew a thing about them --

oh but the "so what if anyone is (bitter) " part-- i think bitterness bites the bitter person the worst and i'm sorry for that -- bitter peeps are most difficult to be around-- and i wonder if the constant need to bash entitled people who can't price to please some of us is causing a slow down in people posting--this place used to pop with posts--wonder why it's so slow-- also it just seems to follow that if we harp about people who ask us stuff then it would follow that people who read that would hesitate to ask--no? lot of them say "i looked all over and i didn't find an answer so here goes" and stuff like that--idk but it sure is slow around here --

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

Turn on, tune in, drop out........Free love.......drugs, ***, rock and roll.........communes........ shared property..............the 60's revolution that was going to break down society and build utopia in it's place.    Isn't this just Timothy Leary's Utopia, why isn't everyone happy.   You have no right to possess anything and greedily prevent others from having it also................   ( maybe that was just a bad movie I saw on cable once )   Never mind.

:lol:  you are so funny! hehehehahaha

-K8memphis Posted 12 May 2014 , 7:43pm
post #109 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah I remember them, even though I was also a baby then.......

I learned from one or two books.......by Wilton.  And I actually had to read the thing by myself, and to myself, and no one else came and helped me.   The jerks.   They had a lot of nerve making me BUY their book.

and there were never enough frickin' pictures--omg--and they said to hold the bag all wrong--i could never do that and if i did do it that way i woulda got carpel tunnel--hold it with the end pointing over your shoulder or something crazy --omg no no no no no i held it backwards of that & prolly been backwards ever since--but it works for me

peace luv & groovy

-K8memphis Posted 12 May 2014 , 7:51pm
post #110 of 201

i remember looking at cake deco catalogs not wilton but the ones that sold molds & stuff and i'd study those pictures and wonder, hmm, is that the picture of the mold or the finished product--do you fill it with fondant/gum paste or do you emboss something with it-- dumb as a rock -- no offense to rocks anywhere

:-D

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 12 May 2014 , 9:39pm
post #111 of 201

AI did some research in my area.. One bakery charges $2.45/serving for buttercream and $3.50 for fondant.. I was actually shocked! It seems really low.. I don't even want to tell you guys how much they charge for a sheet cake.

We charge $5.50 for fondant, plus decorations. I just got an order for a 2 tiers cake, give the price and this person told me that was more than reasonable. Really? Can I hug u?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 12 May 2014 , 10:10pm
post #112 of 201

AI average out at $10 to $12 a serving, but I do a lot of smaller tiered cakes, and won't do one for less than $150. I don't start talking per serving price until it's about 40 servings and above. $150 for a beautiful customized tiered cake is easier to sell than $12 per serving, kwim? ;-)

MBalaska Posted 12 May 2014 , 10:18pm
post #113 of 201

Az You're not just selling a piece of cake, you're selling a beautiful personalized presentation - a piece of art.  This also has value to people with money to spend.

If a business is selling cakes at what appears to be a break even cost - or at a loss, then they are making their high profits from other products.  Perhaps the cakes are just a kind of 'give away' item. box mix, tub of icing, min. wager putting it together = happy customer  that keeps coming back and buying the profitable items.

{Decorated cakes seem to be one of the most emotionally infused food items.}

howsweet Posted 12 May 2014 , 11:08pm
post #114 of 201

Quote:

I average out at $10 to $12 a serving, but I do a lot of smaller tiered cakes, and won't do one for less than $150. I don't start talking per serving price until it's about 40 servings and above. $150 for a beautiful customized tiered cake is easier to sell than $12 per serving, kwim? icon_wink.gif

I try to avoid ever giving a per serving price with customers. I find for a 6 in single tier cake I'm around $12-14 a serving, but the larger the cake gets, the price per serving goes down. My small 23 serving, two tier cake tends to be about $9. What I sell most of is around 32-36 servings, two tier and those tend to be $7.65-8.25.

Are you saying after the cake size gets to a certain amount talking more about a per serving price seems to keep customers more comfortable?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 May 2014 , 11:46pm
post #115 of 201

AI price by the cake, not by the serving, but you have to use a per-serving price at some point in your pricing to establish a price. If that makes sense. I'll sell you a cake and if you want to cut ninety servings out of it or two, I don't care. But I have to use a per-serving cost on an average serving amount at some point to set the price.

I have a $150 minimum and I'll be glad to sell you a 6" tier for that, but most people won't pay that much. Maybe one sucker, uh, I mean "discerning individuals" a year. If you want to have regular work it's a matter of finding the tipping point where people won't run screaming when you quote them a price but you still earn enough to make it worth your time. If there are too many undercutters or low-pricers in general in your area you won't be booking much unless you find that point. Part of that is finding the right customer base.

MimiFix Posted 13 May 2014 , 12:02am
post #116 of 201
Quote:
entitlement and the woe producing effects thereof is a constant theme on here--are we bitter about their entitlement? :-D

... I've been immersed in the food industry for more than thirty years. But it's only been in the past couple of years that I've become so jaded. 

DEFINITION of JADED
  1. tired, bored, or lacking enthusiasm, typically after having had too much of something.
    "meals to tempt the most jaded appetites"
    synonyms: surfeited, sated, satiated, glutted; 

Oh please, Kate. Jaded is not bitter, but you attached my name and innocently asked why I feel like that.

Feel like what you conjured up, for the sole purpose of making me look bad? Sorry, but I'm not even bitter about having to deal with these kinds of underhanded tactics.

-K8memphis Posted 13 May 2014 , 12:47am
post #117 of 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix 

Quote:

... I've been immersed in the food industry for morearrow-10x10.png than thirty years. But it's only been in the past couple of years that I've becomearrow-10x10.png so jaded. 

DEFINITION of JADED
  1. tired, bored, or lacking enthusiasm, typically after having had too much of something.
    "meals to tempt the most jaded appetites"
    synonyms: surfeited, sated, satiated, glutted; 

Oh please, Kate. Jaded is not bitter, but you attached my name and innocently asked why I feel like that.

Feel like what you conjured up, for the sole purpose of making me look bad? Sorry, but I'm not even bitter about having to deal with these kinds of underhanded tactics.

i'm sorry, mimi, i apologize--i did not mean that and i cannot identify my motives in what you wrote-- jaded means cynical to me -- as often happens, we sometimes respond to more than one post at once--while i don't think it's a huge leap from jaded to bitter--i did not call you bitter and i'm sorry it appears that way to you--and to anyone else as well--

howsweet Posted 13 May 2014 , 1:02am
post #118 of 201

Jaded is obviously not the same as bitter. Lol.  Turning it into "bitter", which means "angry, hurt, or resentful because of one's bad experiences or a sense of unjust treatment" could be an honest mistake, I suppose. And who hasn't ever felt that way? There's nothing wrong with that.

But... the word bitter is often used to imply a more permanent state of being and to call someone bitter is usually a pretty nasty put down. And a bitter person is presumed to already be down, wouldn't calling them bitter be like kicking someone when they're down?

Not sure I'd be wanting to twist someone's words into something we tend to associate with something so negative. Even if we're just "asking".

howsweet Posted 13 May 2014 , 1:07am
post #119 of 201

That's good to hear.  Because it seems to me that calling someone bitter would just be recognizing someone is miserable and then kicking them when they're down.

-K8memphis Posted 13 May 2014 , 1:22am
post #120 of 201

Quote:

That's good to hear.  Because it seems to me that calling someone bitter would just be recognizing someone is miserable and then kicking them when they're down.

as well as fomenting and repeating an issue that was resolved especially since no one was called bitter

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%