Question About A Stacking Video I Just Watched...

Decorating By rebecca67e Updated 8 May 2014 , 10:29pm by costumeczar

rebecca67e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebecca67e Posted 8 May 2014 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 17

Hey guys

So I just saw this new video on my Youtube subscriptions...

I already know not to cut the dowels this way (measure them against one single dowel, not all of them against the surface of the cake), but there was another part I'm confused on.

At 2:30 in the video.....

When Jen stacks the second tier, is it really necessary to drive the dowels all the way through to the bottom drum? I always assumed the second tier dowels just go down the that tier's base, and that's it.

I have never stacked a cake before, but plan to in the near future, so this would help me out. Thanks.

16 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 May 2014 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 17

No, just no. There's nothing right about that way of doing it. The person who has to take that cake apart to cut it is going to curse you and put you on the list of vendors who can never get referrals from them.

Insert the first dowel,  mark it, remove it and cut it, then use it to measure the other ones for that tier. Repeat for the other tiers. If you transport a cake when it's been refrigerated and is cold there's no need for a center dowel. As far as how many dowels to use, judge that based on size of the tier and how many tiers it will be supporting. I would put 5-6 in the bottom tier, three in the middle, and that's it. Not three on the bottom like she did.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 8 May 2014 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 17

AMmmm, and yummy shredded tinfoil too! Yikes.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 8 May 2014 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 17

Ugh -this person has paid advertisers. I think I'm going to stop making cakes an just make some darn youtube videos.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 8 May 2014 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 17

And why, why why can't any of these people say anything useful until 30 or more seconds in? Hi, my name is so-and-so. I have a dog and like snickers bars. Once I went to see the grand canyon and I have a hurt toe. I won't talk about my toe in this video except to explain for another whole 20 seconds  that I made a really long video devoted just to my hurt toe and how it happened.

But back to the really important stuff... As you can see, I used green icing on this cake. But you could use pink or orange or blue or magenta or purple or yellow or violet or red or black or even white....

AZCouture Posted 8 May 2014 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 17

AI'm putting together a video tute soon, and I already know I won't be speaking a word. Maybe I'll start it off with an introduction, but after that, it's going to be text over still frames, and light music while the video is shooting, with more text. I aim for no longer than 6 minutes of total screen time too. Short and sweet, and to the point. There should be ZERO room for confusion, unclear instructions, etc.

costumeczar Posted 8 May 2014 , 7:28pm
post #7 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

I'm putting together a video tute soon, and I already know I won't be speaking a word. Maybe I'll start it off with an introduction, but after that, it's going to be text over still frames, and light music while the video is shooting, with more text. I aim for no longer than 6 minutes of total screen time too. Short and sweet, and to the point. There should be ZERO room for confusion, unclear instructions, etc.

what, you mean I'll have to READ WORDS?

when I do videos I cut right to the chase, but I'm bad at small talk.

costumeczar Posted 8 May 2014 , 7:30pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsweet 

Ugh -this person has paid advertisers. I think I'm going to stop making cakes an just make some darn youtube videos.

That's just google ads on youtube. Anyone can do that, you can earn a whopping $10 a month from it. If you go viral you can make some money but I doubt that any cake decorating videos will go viral. You'd have to have the cake explode or something for hat to happen.

AZCouture Posted 8 May 2014 , 8:12pm
post #9 of 17

ASpeaking of awesome YouTube videos, here's my favorite of the day. THONK! Gets funnier every time I watch it!

[URL]http://www.buzzfeed.com/scottybryan/a-cat-ran-into-a-door-during-a-french-tv-baking-show-and-it?bffb&s=mobile[/URL]

AZCouture Posted 8 May 2014 , 8:14pm
post #10 of 17

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

what, you mean I'll have to READ WORDS?

when I do videos I cut right to the chase, but I'm bad at small talk.

Yeah, no small talk here, for sure. Right to the point. Bing, bang, done. Got it? No? Really? Watch it again.

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 8 May 2014 , 8:17pm
post #11 of 17

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

That's just google ads on youtube. Anyone can do that, you can earn a whopping $10 a month from it. If you go viral you can make some money but I doubt that any cake decorating videos will go viral. You'd have to have the cake explode or something for hat to happen.

She has 300,000 subscribers.

AZCouture Posted 8 May 2014 , 8:28pm
post #12 of 17

AI take it that that's a big audience? I don't know much about YouTube, so I don't know what constitutes a big following. And dang, that's a lot of videos. All for free? So along the lines of earning money from the ads like costume mentioned, is that the point of making all those, is to earn money for clicks on sponsor ads? Cause I sure wouldn't do all that work for free.

AZCouture Posted 8 May 2014 , 8:48pm
post #14 of 17

Quote:

Well well well. Ain' that interesting. Thanks for the link!

Sassyzan Posted 8 May 2014 , 9:14pm
post #15 of 17

AAll I know about YouTube I learned from google, but basically if you put out original content on a regular basis, get comments, likes, and shares, you can make money. I haven't watched the aforementioned cake stacking video, but she does have other cute tutorials. They're more of the cutesy variety rather than professional, which is why I didn't bother to watch her cake stacking video. Based on this thread, I didn't miss much. The chocolate chip cookie shot glass is cute though. Haha.

rebecca67e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebecca67e Posted 8 May 2014 , 10:22pm
post #16 of 17

Yeah, popular youtubers make crazy amounts of money. It's their whole career. They even get flown all over the place to meet fans etc.

I love watching instructional videos, but this one just seemed to go against everything I've learned about stacking a cake...

costumeczar Posted 8 May 2014 , 10:29pm
post #17 of 17

She's probably making some money then...Which is sad, since she seems to be doing things in weird ways that are unnecessarily complicated.

If you really want to make money on youtube you need to do walkthrough videos of video games. I know a teenager who does those, and he gets paid a bundle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%