Frozen Cupcakes...??

Baking By Mmmcake25 Updated 8 May 2014 , 8:19pm by Cup of Cookies

Mmmcake25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mmmcake25 Posted 6 May 2014 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 7

Looking for anyones Opinion..

A family member asked me to make Cupcakes for a Graduation party. However, I am not in town the date of the graduation, but will be 5 days before. I told her I would have to find out if I could make it into town, and she asked if I could make them ahead of time and she could freeze them...

Ive never made anything that far in advance as Ive never had the need. Also, Ive heard of freezing cakes just a few days in advance, but never cupcakes.

Should I suggest a cake instead if that will hold up  better and stay fresher/moist (sorrypeople)

I want to help her out, but im not 100% positive the cupcakes/cake will still be good after 5 days in the freezer.....

Any ideas?

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 May 2014 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 7

you're right a cake would be easier--less pieces to move around--but if either one, cake or cupcake is packaged securely and defrosted properly--it should/would work--you'd wanna use a tried & true recipe work horse recipe--

i say this 'cause i actually froze an unfrosted cupcake this week and it came out great--chocolate--these made with oil--they puff up beautiful--so if you like/need flat tops don't use this -- and the icing has nuts so might not go with decor--and i don't know how the icing freezes--

http://lickthebowlgood.blogspot.com/2012/10/a-classic-recipe-with-twist.html

but i mean you gotta try it with the icing on there--but i would probably use a nice secure vanilla icing myself--but whatever works best for you--and if the defrosting is gradual--taken from the freezer into the fridge like a day or two before--securely wrapped like a mummy--

if there was fondant decor to go on--it could be kept at room temp and she could place it on--

it's certainly do-able-- 

best baking & freezing

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 May 2014 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 7

I freeze cupcakes all the time.  Either "blanks" (just the cupcake) or fully filled and frosted cupcakes.  Works fine for me.

Mmmcake25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mmmcake25 Posted 6 May 2014 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you both for the reply, It makes me feel at ease that this is common!. Ill try to talk her into the cake if I can, If she's still hoping for cupcakes, do you have a suggestion on how to wrap them (frosted) in the freezer-  leah_s?

Thanks ladies! I really appreciate the suggestions and response's!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 May 2014 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 7

cupcakes are better after being frozen, just like cake. (some secret squirrel Alaska magic at work in the freezer I guess as I can't explain it at all.)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 May 2014 , 11:06am
post #6 of 7

AI package cupcakes individually in upside down 9 oz cups.

Cup of Cookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cup of Cookies Posted 8 May 2014 , 8:19pm
post #7 of 7

I freeze cakes, cupcakes and cookies as well. I wrap the cupcakes individual in plastic wrap or small plastic bags. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%