How To Make These Fondant Ruffles?

Decorating By Saltedbutter Updated 11 May 2014 , 8:26pm by Saltedbutter

Saltedbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saltedbutter Posted 5 May 2014 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 21

Ok so I got an order for a cake, and my client sent me this picture. I was wondering how I would make these ruffles. Do I have to cover the whole cake in fondant first before attaching the ruffles? or would it be ok to have my ganache layer, apply fondant to the top and 1 inch to the top of the sides and start attaching from there? And also how would I make the ruffles keep their shape without using gumpaste, because wouldn't that harden too much to cut through easily? Any input would be greatly appreciated!  

20 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 May 2014 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 21

Hi, I actually saw this on a youtube video. last week. goggle that and see if you see it. I can,t think of her name right now.I will look some more also.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 May 2014 , 1:39am
post #3 of 21

When I do that kind of thing I use a combination of white chocolate clay and fondant. The white chocolate makes the fondant hold its shape better and it works really well for ruffles. You can ice the cake in buttercream and attach curved pieces of the fondant to it starting at the top and working your way down, you don't need to use a fondanted cake. Just stick each piece on with buttercream.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 6 May 2014 , 1:49am
post #4 of 21

That cake is so beautiful!

I agree with costumeczar, I use pure candy clay on ruffle cakes.  It's very pliable and looks beautiful.  Tastes great as well.   Apply it directly to the ganache, use a little ganache to attach each layer.  If you put a layer of fondant over another layer of fondant, the cake will weigh a ton and that is quite a bit of fondant, (not that a lot of fondant would be a bad thing.)  

You can definitely put a layer of fondant or candy clay on the top and work down.  

SweetT14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetT14 Posted 8 May 2014 , 2:10am
post #5 of 21

I just saw this on youtube, here's the link:

Shabby Chic Ruffle Cake by Happy Cake

She used 50/50 gumpaste/fondant mix. 

Beautiful cake!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 8 May 2014 , 2:48am
post #6 of 21

AOoooh, I'm making a giant six tier version of that cake in November, and I can't wait! You may not realize it, but that exact cake there is a tiny little mini cake. I went looking for it when the client sent me the pic, wanted to see the full version, and I was surprised to see how small it was.

AZCouture Posted 8 May 2014 , 2:50am
post #7 of 21

AAnd not to go against the grain of the other advice offered, but I will definitely be applying those ruffles over fondant covered tiers. I want full assurance that they won't slip or shift. They're bigger pieces than your average ruffles, and therefore heavier. Not planning on using anything other than fondant either, they don't have much of a ruffle that needs any help to hold the shape, from what I can tell.

SweetT14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetT14 Posted 8 May 2014 , 1:59pm
post #8 of 21

ASaltedbutter and AZCouture, please share pics when you complete these cakes. :)

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 8 May 2014 , 3:16pm
post #9 of 21

I made this cake recently and I used Fondx with a little tylose to make the large "petal" panels.  Then I just applied them to the buttercream.  My BC is non-crusting, so the panels probably stuck better than the crusting varieties.

AZCouture Posted 8 May 2014 , 6:38pm
post #10 of 21

AWill do! Need to find a supplier for rhinestone picks soon, for the centers of the flowers. I've found plastic ones, but they're not sparkly enough. I need real glass. Anyone seen real rhinestones picks anywhere? Preferably on bendable wire?

AZCouture Posted 8 May 2014 , 6:39pm
post #11 of 21

A

Original message sent by cupadeecakes

I made this cake recently and I used Fondx with a little tylose to make the large "petal" panels.  Then I just applied them to the buttercream.  My BC is non-crusting, so the panels probably stuck better than the crusting varieties.

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3232876/] [/URL]

Beautiful!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 May 2014 , 6:41pm
post #12 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupadeecakes 

oh wow--love this -- playful elegance -- balanced and beautiful

cupadeecakes Posted 9 May 2014 , 1:33pm
post #13 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Will do! Need to find a supplier for rhinestone picks soon, for the centers of the flowers. I've found plastic ones, but they're not sparkly enough. I need real glass. Anyone seen real rhinestones picks anywhere? Preferably on bendable wire?

This is what I used for the center of my flowers:

http://www.joann.com/clear-rhinestones-mini-pick/12299145.html#prefn1=isProject&start=262&q=rhinestone&sz=54&prefv1=false

They are more sparkly than they appear in the photos.

Saltedbutter Posted 9 May 2014 , 1:40pm
post #14 of 21

Thank you for all your helpful tips!! I will post my picture when I complete it tomorrow! I will probably put a layer of ganache, a thin layer of fondant then apply the ruffles. Too scared to try it straight onto buttercream. One more question tho, the client asked for a red velvet cake and cream cheese frosting.  have always refrigerated my fondant cakes with no problems even though people say not to, just a little sweat and it dries up pretty quick....but i was worried about the ruffles...should i let them harden as much as possible then just stick it in the fridge over night...i have to have it done tonight along with my other order because they both will get picked up tomorrow morning, and i cant leave it out because of the cream cheese! 

Saltedbutter Posted 9 May 2014 , 1:40pm
post #15 of 21

This is beautiful <3 hope mines turns out like this!

Saltedbutter Posted 9 May 2014 , 1:41pm
post #16 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupadeecakes 

Oops clicked wrong button...meant this cake 

cupadeecakes Posted 9 May 2014 , 1:49pm
post #17 of 21

Mine stayed in the fridge overnight and did just fine.

Saltedbutter Posted 10 May 2014 , 11:37pm
post #18 of 21

Ok, so i can safely say it was a success! Thanks for all the helpful tips!! it was pretty difficult, but I think with a little more practice I can get it done faster and more smoothly!  

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 11 May 2014 , 12:12am
post #19 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saltedbutter 

Ok, so i can safely say it was a success! Thanks for all the helpful tips!! it was pretty difficult, but I think with a little more practice I can get it done faster and more smoothly!  

OMG it's beautiful! Well done!

cupadeecakes Posted 11 May 2014 , 3:18am
post #20 of 21

A

Original message sent by Saltedbutter

Ok, so i can safely say it was a success! Thanks for all the helpful tips!! it was pretty difficult, but I think with a little more practice I can get it done faster and more smoothly![ATTACHMENT=1677]rufflecake.jpg (1,825k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT] 

Great job!

Saltedbutter Posted 11 May 2014 , 8:26pm
post #21 of 21

Thanks Cupadeecakes and enga! Glad its over :P Thanks for all your helpful tips and the pictures! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%