Another Rkt Question...

Decorating By acakedecorator Updated 4 May 2014 , 7:37pm by acakedecorator

acakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acakedecorator Posted 3 May 2014 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 12

Today is the day that I am finally going to try molding RKTs. I have one last question that I haven't been able to find an answer to on other threads. After I mold the RKT, I am going to "crumb coat" it in buttercream before covering it in fondant. Will the buttercream make the RKT soggy or will the marshmallow keep that from happening?

Thanks!

11 replies
acakedecorator Posted 3 May 2014 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 12

Unfortunately my post is getting buried beneath all the spam...

bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 3 May 2014 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 12

I have done only a little RKT sculpting but the few times I did they weren't soggy at all. I know that's not much help but at least it will bump you back to the top! :-)

acakedecorator Posted 3 May 2014 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 12

Thank you!

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 3 May 2014 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 12

ANo it won't make the RKT soggy :) and also roll your fondant a little thicker than normal to get a smooth finish :) good luck!!

acakedecorator Posted 3 May 2014 , 6:21pm
post #6 of 12

AThanks mattyeatscakes! I am just about to cover them with buttercream; glad I don't have to worry about it! Thanks for the fondant tip as well!

mattyeatscakes Posted 3 May 2014 , 7:00pm
post #7 of 12

A

Original message sent by acakedecorator

Thanks mattyeatscakes! I am just about to cover them with buttercream; glad I don't have to worry about it! Thanks for the fondant tip as well!

You're welcome! Let your buttercream crust for a bit before covering with fondant. And if you're pressed for time, you can always use store bought RKT :) post pictures! :)

acakedecorator Posted 3 May 2014 , 7:24pm
post #8 of 12

AThanks! I will definitely post pictures...if it turns out that is! It's quite a project, I hope I can pull it off!

acakedecorator Posted 4 May 2014 , 2:05am
post #9 of 12

Ok, here he is! It was my birthday cake 2 days early. Of course I see all the flaws in it and there are several things that I would change, but I am happy overall with how it turned out, especially considering that it was only my third cake to cover in fondant. The flukes, fins, tusk, and half of the body are RKTs. The other half of the body was a sphere cake.

mattyeatscakes Posted 4 May 2014 , 2:51am
post #10 of 12

AOmg!!! That is such a cute cake! :) awesome narwhal cake! :) for your bday? Happy birthday :) enjoy!

redgbee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redgbee Posted 4 May 2014 , 6:55am
post #11 of 12

Aaww so cute. look at his eyes! i did a first time rkt with my dinosaurs cake and i don't know how to smoothen it prior to placing fondant. so i just covered it with modeling chocolate like how u add paper in paper mache then when i was happy with the thickess of it, i covered it with fondant. i don't get to visit the forum much these days. :grin:

acakedecorator Posted 4 May 2014 , 7:37pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you both! I'm glad you could tell it was a narwhal, mattyeatscakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%