Pricing List

Business By christiancaker Updated 21 Sep 2005 , 4:53pm by DiH

christiancaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christiancaker Posted 20 Sep 2005 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 12

Based on our local bakeries and their skill level compared to mine, this is the pricing list that i came up with. When I feel that I have gained better skill than I will up the prices. BTW, can someone explan to me if you call a 2 layer cake two cakes stacked on top of each other with filling in between or just one cake, torted with fillng in between. Also , the baker that i got info from gave serving sizes that differ from those in the Wilton magazine. Can someone give me what thier serving sizes for 8, 10, 12, 14, inch round party cakes and sheet cake servings are? When I look at the sheet cakes, I see 7x11, 9x13, 11x15, 12x18, 14x22, which one is the 1/4 sheet cake and which one is the 1/2 sheet cake. I assume the 14x22 is the full sheet cake??

11 replies
traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 20 Sep 2005 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 12

I think this varies from baker to baker. For me...I use the 9x13 as a 1/4 sheet and 11x15 as a 1/2 sheet. A 12x18 is a 3/4 sheet and I put 2 11x15's together for a full sheet. Depending on if you are doing single or double layers will depend on how many servings you will get. I try to go by what bakeries do in my area. That way I know what my customers are referring to when they ask for a paticular size. I am sure someone else can give you some insight on this post as well. icon_smile.gif
traci

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 20 Sep 2005 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 12

Here is a link to earlenes.com serving chart. It is a bit different from Wilton!
http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 20 Sep 2005 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 12

Hi,

I don't know if you actually make 2 cakes and stack them with filling..but I never do that.

I make one cake and "torte" it..I slice it in however many layers I need...and fill it. my cakes usually have 2 layers of filling and 3 of cake, even if the filling is just the buttercream.

unless I'm using a fondant cake, those I do not like to fill as they have tendency to "slide", those I brush with a flavored syrup or a warm fruit glaze before I put on the base coat of icing and...that goes on VERY thin!

I have shifted from "PER SERVING" pricing...and go by "AMOUNT OF WORK"..lol

I feel that my work is worth about $50.00 at a starting price..

Even my cheesecake is expensive, ( about $35.00) it coveres the "waste" ...when I make a fresh fruit cheesecake, there is always fresh fruit left over...!

And there is just so much fruit we can eat..lol

Also, check the local restaurants for pricing, if people are willing to go to their local restaurant and pay 2.50 or 4.99 for a piece of cake...well....

You get my drift???

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 20 Sep 2005 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 12

I am with traci on different areas, I use 9x13 for my 1/4 and 12x18 for half and (2)12x18 for a full sheet. Mine are proably a little to big, but when I called around to my local bakeries they tell me different sizes. But I like traci's sizes better than mine. Good luckicon_smile.gif

ThePastryDiva Posted 20 Sep 2005 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 12

I use my 9 by 7 for "JR 1/4's"..lol

traci Posted 20 Sep 2005 , 7:45pm
post #7 of 12

Hello PastryDiva! I know what you mean about the amount of work you have to do. I always charge extra for more extensive decorating. So when you quote a customer a price...you need to take into consideration what kind of decorations will be on the cake.
traci

ThePastryDiva Posted 20 Sep 2005 , 8:30pm
post #8 of 12

Traci,

I'm so glad that a few people can see my point of view.

I used to be very humble about my work and talent, was one of those that ALWAYS pointed out my mistakes when I delivered my cake.

I finally got over it when people would look at me like I was growing another head, and someone flat out asked me if I was trying to fish for compliments!?!?!!! WHAAAAAAAAA?

I realized that no matter what I had done wrong, no one unless it was a cake that was going into a show to be judged would notice the little irregularities that comes from a product that you make a "ONE OF"...( one of a kind)

I started to relax and actually found cake decorating relaxing and Zen like. I especially liked going into my shop after the little strip malled closed up and putting on my music and decorating.

I also started to raise my prices as I would rather concentrate on QUALITY work than quantity.

I made whatever ocassion cakes for the weekend but only 2 wedding cakes on Saturday and only 1 for Sunday.

That was the amount of wedding cakes that I felt comfortable with and was happy making.

I averaged about 9 to 13 ocassion cakes and 3 wedding cakes a week and was happy as a clam.

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 20 Sep 2005 , 11:07pm
post #9 of 12

I agree. My customers come to me by word of mouth, now that I have moved to a new area. They don't seem to care what the cost is, just have heard how good it is. When I meet w/a bride, I keep saying, no matter who you decide to go with.....and b/4 the meeting is over they go w/me!!!

TinaRe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinaRe Posted 20 Sep 2005 , 11:18pm
post #10 of 12

I agree as well. I charge for the amount of work! But for weddings I charge by the serving.

traci Posted 21 Sep 2005 , 2:51am
post #11 of 12

I tend to think that we are our own worst critics! icon_smile.gif
traci

DiH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiH Posted 21 Sep 2005 , 4:53pm
post #12 of 12

Pan size measurements according to http://www.acemart.com/ are...

Full sheet... 17-3/4 x 25-3/4"
3/4 sheet... 15" x 21"
Half sheet... 12-7/8" x 17-3/4
1/4 sheet... 9-1/2" x 13"

Di

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%