Topsy Turvy Question

Decorating By Azwishchicky Updated 3 May 2014 , 12:45am by Azwishchicky

Azwishchicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Azwishchicky Posted 2 May 2014 , 1:32am
post #1 of 6

I am making a 2 layer topsy turvy cake from the Mad Dadder cake pans 6 inch and 8 inch rounds. They cooked perfectly with the rose nails in each like the instructions suggest. I can't decide if I should slice the layers ......and put buttercream in between, then crumb coat, fondant, dowel the bottom layer an stack the 6 inch on top.

OR if I shouldn't cut the layer because it will make the cake less sturdy. Each layer is about 4 inches on the tall side and 3 inches on the shorter side.  My layers are normally 2 inches tall so I do put buttercream and stack another layer.

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 May 2014 , 1:39am
post #2 of 6

i don't know either and i'm  not familiar with those pans but i would just be so curious about how they baked inside i'd have to cut them--but don't mind me ;)

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 2 May 2014 , 1:41am
post #3 of 6

Is this for a paying customer? If so, what are they expecting?

If you are a hobbyist, and this is your first Mad Dadder/topsy, I'd suggest keeping it untorted and unfilled. KISS.

Serve you cake with some fresh whipped cream and chocolate sauce or ganache - yum! 

NB: I do not use these pans, my mad hatters/topsy turvies are all carved after filling/layering, then ganached, fondanted, then stacked.

Azwishchicky Posted 2 May 2014 , 1:53am
post #4 of 6

Its for an old boss, she said how many servings and went out of the country leaving the details up to me. It is my first, so I will leave it in one piece. I have chocolate cake and was going to use chocolate caramel frosting, but love the idea of serving ganache and whip cream. However, the confectioners program that lets me bake from home, doesn't allow dairy. Maybe just vanilla buttercream and serve with ganache?  (Ganache is boiled so fine for my program)

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 2 May 2014 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 6

I have those pans; and usually what I do is make a small Topsy turvy layer (like just put enough batter in the pan to make a single layer), and then so a second corresponding sized layer in a regular pan. Cut the domes off both layers and there you go. I find that much easier than trying to trim and tort a huge Topsy turvy

Azwishchicky Posted 3 May 2014 , 12:45am
post #6 of 6

AGreat idea!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%