Wedding Favors Mini Cake Or Cookies?

Decorating By loveqm Updated 26 Jan 2007 , 12:50pm by GeminiRJ

loveqm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveqm Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 7:47am
post #1 of 8

Hi ladies...
My friend has asked me to make mini wedding cakes as her wedding favors. However, she will be having about 500 guests and I know that the mini cakes are time consuming so is it better to go ahead and go w/ the cookie idea instead? If so, does any one have any suggestions on what kind of cookie and icing would be best to use to do such a big order? Appro. how long would it take to fill this order? I'm not sure if she wants one cookie per person or per couple so either way it will be more than 250 cookies. I was reading somewhere about MMF on cookies but how would you do that and then be able to decorate on top of that? Again, any help, tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks! =)

7 replies
kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 7:58am
post #2 of 8

How about the cake bites done in her colors?? It would be on the unique side. I don't know how time consuming it would be for you though. Just A thought.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 8

Cookies are so very time consuming, but so are mini-cakes! Either way, you're looking at a whole ton of work. Maybe the MMF on cookies would be the quickest way to go. And I would think it would be easier to store cookies vs. cakes. (I like my cakes cold, so refrigerator space is an issue for me.) After putting the MMF on the cookies as they come out of the oven, and they have cooled, you could use royal to add details...such as the couples initials. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 8

I would rather do 1000 cookies than 100 mini cakes. Cookies. Definitely cookies.

loveqm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveqm Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 8

thanks you guys! Do you have any ideas on how soon ahead of time I could start on the cookies w/ it still being good and presentable?

I've been reading around here and it seems like everyone is using the no fail sugar cookies recipe. Is that the one that I should use as well? I forgot to mention that this is my first order for cookies and that I have never done cookies b4. I was planning to try them out one weekend first though. so I'm a bit nervous but yet excited to try something new. =)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 8

I've never used it, so I'm no help to you there. Sorry! icon_redface.gif

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 8

Keep this in mind also-you are going to have to make more than 500 to account for some breakage that could occur-depends on your recipe. I suggest you look at antonia74's tutorial on cookies and do try it ahead of time becuase cookies are very time consuming, especially when you haven't done cookies before. I believe there was a thread around Christmas time about making the cookies ahead of time and freezing.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 12:50pm
post #8 of 8

I freeze undecorated cookies all the time. They store nicely in tupperwar containers. With 500 of them, I hope you have a lot of space. Definitely read the tutorial mentioned, and scan thru as many posts on cookies as you can. They are packed with hints and tips that are invaluable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%