Wheelie Bin Birthday Cake

Decorating By BSch Updated 7 May 2014 , 6:44am by bubs1stbirthday

BSch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BSch Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 6:04am
post #1 of 4

Hi,

I am planning on doing a wheelie bin birthday cake for my son's 3rd birthday.  I want to do something like this; http://www.huggies.com.au/kids-birthday-cakes/boys/rubbish

Anyone have any tips on how to do the decoration especially the lid.

Thanks

Bianca

3 replies
maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 8:49am
post #2 of 4

AHi Bianca and welcome. :-) I'd cover the bin with sugarpaste and make the wheels, rim and lid with flowerpaste. The lid might stay open by sticking it to the back of the bin and leaning on the m&m's or whatever you fill the bin with but I'd try to use a few dowels to support it then hide the dowels with the m&m's. I'm just a hobby baker though, the pro's might have better advice. Looks like a fun cake to make though!

BSch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BSch Posted 7 May 2014 , 4:25am
post #3 of 4

Hi Maisie73,

Thanks for the response. I will let you know how I get on.  It's the detail in the lid that concerns me. All good though I will pactice before doing the real thing!!.

Thanks

Bianca

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 7 May 2014 , 6:44am
post #4 of 4

I would support the lid on its own piece of cardboard cake board cut to size and attached to some thick wire or wooden dowel etc running down the back of the cake with the wires hidden it there own thick fondant in the same colour as the bin - as you are going to serve it you can just make sure that bit of fondant is removed and not eaten. For the handles on the lid, I would use gumpaste molded and dried over something in the shape that you are wanting, ie a piece of folded cardboard.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%