Disney Planes Cake- Desperate Mom Needs Help Here!

Decorating By jenniferjlynne Updated 28 May 2014 , 12:50pm by rebecca67e

jenniferjlynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniferjlynne Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 11

Hello! My son has a very specific request for his 5th birthday cake which I agreed to, God help me. He wants the scene in the movie depicted in which Dusty Crophopper is crashing into the ocean. Lovely, I know. So I'm thinking I'll make a Dusty out of fondant/gumpaste. But I don't know how to make the surface of the cake look like ocean waves (he is crashing in a storm so the waves are very big). If anyone has any ideas I would be so grateful. I really want to pull this off for him and there aren't exactly any examples online- go figure!

10 replies
rebecca67e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebecca67e Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 11

I haven't seen the movie, and I can't find any images or video clips online of Dusty crashing into the ocean, which would have helped....

how about modelling some waves out of RKT and covering in blue fondant? maybe some royal icing for the foam?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebecca67e 

I haven't seen the movie, and I can't find any images or video clips online of Dusty crashing into the ocean, which would have helped....

how about modelling some waves out of RKT and covering in blue fondant? maybe some royal icing for the foam?

that sounds like a good idea...I was going ot suggest cutting out waves from modeling chocolate but they'd be flat.

I have to add that when my son was 5 he asked for "A dump truck crashing into a Ferrari that's parked on the side of the road and nobody's in it." There must be something about 5 yr old boys and weirdly specific cake requests.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 12:02am
post #4 of 11

If you have time to practice what you could trial to see if you like it is rock candy like this microwaveable one http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7014/rock-candy - make sure you watch it though as it will burn in an instant (ask me how I know haha). Just dye it the colour that you want. I cut the recipe by 4 and used my pyrex jug to cook it in, it takes a lot less time when you are doing a smaller batch.

Try marking the shape of your cake on some baking paper and pouring the rock candy onto that then as it cools lifting parts of it and shaping into waves, you will have to do this fairly quickly so depending on the size you want maybe get another person to help you.

To get it off your equipment just soak it all in boiling water a few times and it will melt right off - even if you burn it really badly. I have never understood why people say they need to throw out equipment after they make this stuff when a good soaking gets it right off :smile: 

P.S Sorry I put the wrong recipe link in - I will pop back shortly and put in the microwaveable one.

Here we go : http://www.food.com/recipe/easy-microwave-hard-christmas-rock-candy-271829

books Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
books Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 12:12am
post #5 of 11

I googled ocean storm cake

and came up with these    IMG_4406_new.jpgship cake boat cake ocean storm cake 

there is one more  cant get it to show

bubs1stbirthday Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 12:54am
post #6 of 11

Well...... because I am someone who doesn't like handing out unfounded advice I thought I would give it a go with the rock candy myself (and I have a sleeping bubba at the moment and it was a good way to put off the housework lol)

I just added a squirt of americolor royal blue to the mixture as it was cooking then poured it out and waited for it to cool to a workable temperature. As it was cooling so quickly to a state where it was too hard to work with I used my kitchen butane torch to heat a section at a time then pulled and stretched it into waves. With a thicker pour I have no doubt that you could make it into taller waves.

This is what I came up with.

Sorry but I cannot figure out how to post the actual pictures but if you click on the link you will be able to see the results.

bubs1stbirthday Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 12:55am
post #7 of 11

Well...... because I am someone who doesn't like handing out unfounded advice I thought I would give it a go with the rock candy myself (and I have a sleeping bubba at the moment and it was a good way to put off the housework lol)

I just added a squirt of americolor royal blue to the mixture as it was cooking then poured it out and waited for it to cool to a workable temperature. As it was cooling so quickly to a state where it was too hard to work with I used my kitchen butane torch to heat a section at a time then pulled and stretched it into waves. With a thicker pour I have no doubt that you could make it into taller waves.

This is what I came up with.

Sorry but I cannot figure out how to post the actual pictures but if you click on the link you will be able to see the results.

jenniferjlynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniferjlynne Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 1:09am
post #8 of 11

Oh wow, thanks all!!! Such great ideas.

Bubs1stbirthday- the waves look amazing! You must have REALLY wanted to put off the housework! Thank you so much. I so appreciate the help and it was more than nice of you to do that. I'm definitely going to attempt it. The party is on May 10th so I have a little time to experiment. 

The RKT idea is an awesome one too. So glad to have options now. I really had no idea what to do. 

I'll post pics once I get this cake done.

bubs1stbirthday Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 2:00am
post #9 of 11

Haha - anything beats housework :-D. I don't have an excuse to try out new things at the moment as I don't have any birthdays coming up for a while so it was good to have this one. The pleasure was all mine! Good luck with your cake - now at least you have a few ideas to try as your starting point.

Try not to stress too much about it if it doesn't go perfectly to plan - your son will Love it and think that you are a super mummy even if it no where near perfect.

ladydilee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladydilee Posted 1 May 2014 , 1:04am
post #10 of 11

If you have it, you might want to try a navy blue instead of the royal. It is a deeper color, and will probably look more like storm waves.

rebecca67e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebecca67e Posted 28 May 2014 , 12:50pm
post #11 of 11

How did the cake go? Can you post a picture? :D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%