Suggestions On How To Make This Into A Cake, Please?

Decorating By mirandaguzman Updated 6 May 2014 , 3:08am by drea88

mirandaguzman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirandaguzman Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 22

I've been asked to make a cake look like this metal, for about 20 people. Just thought I'd ask for some suggestions. I'm not sure if I can or want to attempt to put all of the detail from the leaves in and how I'd do it.  I'm not positive how I'm going to do the gold, I don't have an airbrush machine. 

21 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 22

AIs the whole cake the medal?

Ifbso, I'd cut the shape of the medal then I would use fondant ropes to get the stems of the leaves. I'd make even smaller ropes for the detail ribbing. Then, is cover the whole thing in fondant being sure to curve into the ridges. Paint with cosmetic sponge leaving a bit of color in the ridges. Dust the whole thing with luster

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 22

I've always liked this cake, how do you think it would look if you took the leaf's shape and made an intricate gold colored chevron pattern with it. You could spray the pieces before you assemble them or use luster dust. Maybe even use two shades (lt. gold and dk. gold) to create depth. hth

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/z0cTQ_Y2Dgc/0.jpg

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 22

AI LOVE THIS IDEA!

DeliciousDesserts Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 22

A[@]enga[/@] that really is a great cake.

I think the OP is specifically inspired by a military medal. I was Navy myself and recognize the officer insignia. Chevrons are typically associated with enlisted and would be very inappropriate in that context.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 10:00pm
post #6 of 22

A

Original message sent by Danilou

I LOVE THIS IDEA!

Which one.

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 10:09pm
post #7 of 22

AEnga's if it's not inappropriate. Sorry I did quote her but it didn't work.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 10:16pm
post #8 of 22

ANo apology necessary. It is an awesome kewl cake.

I don't mean to speak for the op. I could have misunderstood the question. It sounded to me like she wants it to look like the medal.

We'll have to wait for claification.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 10:43pm
post #9 of 22

yeah if it's not for a military person/event it would work--if someone just likes the leaf design--and the chevron thing is a great idea for most anything that's not armed forces--

y'know what i'm drawn to test out to try that--i'd cut the cake out like that for a 2-d effect and i'd have to practice first but i'd want to try crimpers --i don't know if it would work --

maybe?

DeliciousDesserts Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 10:58pm
post #10 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirandaguzman 

I've been asked to make a cake look like this metal, for about 20 people. 

enga Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 11:01pm
post #11 of 22

Wow this thread really moved along, I was off surfing. To tell you the truth, I didn't really read the thread, I was drawn to the leaf and thinking of ways to incorporate it into a cake. The pattern just made me think of chevrons. Must be some kind of disorder as I've recently been diagnosed with having a few, lol.

I'm an Air Force brat, grew up on McGuire Air Force Base. I remember my dads chevrons vaguely, I was so young IDK. which is kinda interesting if you think about it.

Anywho, just kicking around a few ideas.

Good Luck with what ever you decide on mirandaguzman

-K8memphis Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 11:07pm
post #12 of 22

oh i neglected to click on the link -- duh

i envisioned side trim all the way around my 2-d cake in an assymetrical chevron design that goes up & down within the leaves of the medal--maybe a few rows-- 

-K8memphis Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 11:38pm
post #13 of 22
it's just an infectious natural design flow--the veins on the leaf itself are chevrons--but when it's a teeny tiny medal you don't get that idea that much but blow it up into a 2-d cake and it's a chevron overload
mirandaguzman Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 3:53am
post #14 of 22

Yes this is for someone in the military. I believe this is what you get when you make Major. I believe this is a Major leaf so it needs to look like the metal.

Doing a search I found 2 Major leaf cakes but neither had the detail in the leaf. I like the idea of using the fondant ropes underneath to create the detail. I think I might try that.

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions!

drea88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drea88 Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 4:25am
post #15 of 22

AI would love to see a picture of the finished cake. Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to make one for my hubby in the next couple of years. :)

mirandaguzman Posted 5 May 2014 , 7:57pm
post #16 of 22

Well I ended up not trying to put the detail into the cake. My gut said to keep it simple. Thank you for all of the suggestions! I really appreciate it. 

-K8memphis Posted 5 May 2014 , 8:00pm
post #17 of 22

you. rocked. it.

awesome cake!

enga Posted 5 May 2014 , 8:03pm
post #18 of 22

Nice Job, it's always best to follow your gut ;-D

drea88 Posted 5 May 2014 , 9:44pm
post #19 of 22

AIt looks fabulous. May I ask how you did the gold color? And did you carve it to get the ridges and leaf shape?

DeliciousDesserts Posted 5 May 2014 , 10:09pm
post #20 of 22

Awesome!

mirandaguzman Posted 5 May 2014 , 10:57pm
post #21 of 22

Thank you all!

Quote:

Originally Posted by drea88 

It looks fabulous. May I ask how you did the gold color? And did you carve it to get the ridges and leaf shape?

I used Duff's metallic gold cake graffiti spray. It took the whole can to cover the cake. And yes I did carve it, that was the part I was most nervous about.

drea88 Posted 6 May 2014 , 3:08am
post #22 of 22

A

Original message sent by mirandaguzman

I used Duff's metallic gold cake graffiti spray. It took the whole can to cover the cake. And yes I did carve it, that was the part I was most nervous about.

Thanks! Again, great job.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%