Yikes! First Wedding Cake!

Decorating By WhitePeony Updated 25 Apr 2014 , 6:04am by Smckinney07

WhitePeony Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhitePeony Posted 25 Apr 2014 , 3:41am
post #1 of 2

AHiya,

I hope you're all well.

Okay, I've been a hobby cake maker for a year or so now and recently I've been asked to make a wedding cake which I've never made before. So I've agreed to make it with all the risk of it being my first laid out.

We've come up with a design of a three tier stacked cake(6",8",10"), all the tiers will be victoria sponge covered in ganache then in fondant with a few gumpaste roses added on the edge of each tier and some on the top of the cake.

Now all of this I've done before and I stacked the cake using normal drinking straws and bamboo skewers but the cake didn't move much or have to travel as it was for my own celebration. However, I'm wondering whether the same method will work if the cake is being transported say for max 1 hour in a car.

What do you think??

As I'm not charging for this cake I don't want to add greatly to the cost of it so last resort will have to be to assemble at the venue. But I would prefer to assemble then send it on it's way.

1 reply
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 25 Apr 2014 , 6:04am
post #2 of 2

AI love Victoria sponge but it isn't a very sturdy cake, at least not my recipe. You need to consider how long the cake will be sitting out, stacked. If its indoors or out. Who's traveling with the cake, you or them?

Personally, I'd use a stronger cake and in addition to your regular internal support use a central dowel that runs through the entire cake and into the base board or SPS.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%