Customer Pick-Up Of 3 Tiered Cakes Using Sps?

Business By FrostedMoon Updated 24 Apr 2014 , 5:04pm by luvscakes

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 3:14am
post #1 of 6

I need to do a tiered cake to serve 60.  The customer would like to pick it up on a Friday and bring it to the party the next day.  I would prefer to do a 10", 8", and 6" for this cake, but I'm nervous about having the customer transport it.  She'll be traveling about 30 minutes nearly in to Boston, so think bumpy/curvy roads and lots of chances for needing to hit the breaks.  I would deliver it myself, but it's the same day as my daughter's birthday party, I already have a delivery that morning, & I think my husband will divorce me if I put a client's needs in front of my family's one more time!

Do you let clients transport 3 tiers with an SPS?  

Should I suck it up and just do a 12" & 8" with some sort of topper to help it not look too squat?  Will throwing a square in for one of the tiers help it look better?

Thanks in advance!

5 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 4:25am
post #2 of 6

AI would definitely suggest SPS for that.I wouldn't knock it down to a two tier because I just don't like squashing that many servings into two tiers, but I know it's not the worst thing you could do. If you are at all apprehensive about three tiers, then by all means, do what you feel would be in the best interest of you and your client.

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 23 Apr 2014 , 1:55am
post #3 of 6

Thank you for the advice!  I sent the customer examples of different 2 and 3 tier shapes & sizes, and her favorite was a 6" round on top of a 10" square.  Not what I would do personally, but solves my concern about the 3 tier!  I'm recommending a 10" square with an 8" round on top to serve 60.  Each tier will be between 4 and 5 inches tall.  Does that sound about right for 60 servings?  I rarely do square tiers!

Bespokecakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bespokecakery Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 1:27am
post #4 of 6

I would feel nervous letting a client transport a 3 tier cake.  Then again, I feel nervous transporting 3 tiers, so there you go. I will be doing a 2 tier cake in 2 weeks for 60, and will probably end up doing some taller sugar flowers or sculpted chocolate on top to draw it taller. 

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 6

Glad your problem resolved itself.

I don't  let clients pick up anything over 2 tiers.  EVER.  It's not worth the risk.  I use SPS but cake muggles do not know how to drive with a tiered cake.  They just don't.  And regardless of any kind of waiver they might sign saying you aren't responsible for what happens if they transport the cake themselves, I still won't take the risk.

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 6

I use SPS in all my cakes and yes, many clients pick theirs up from me. I always advise them to place the cake on the floor, with some rolled towels around it on every side and to drive CAREFULLY. I let them know that if the cake doesn't make it to their destination in the same way it left my hands that I am not responsible. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE SPS!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%