Help Me Comprehend This Please!

Decorating By cakelove2105 Updated 22 Apr 2014 , 1:20am by cakelove2105

cakelove2105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelove2105 Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 12:39am
post #1 of 8

I posted today how happy I was with my book The Cake Bible. I've read some pages already. However, I cant keep reading because I got stuck!! I don't comprehend what this two pages are talking about! they talk about HIGH ALTITUDE  in terms of cake baking. They also mention "thousand feet" as if the book is about of HOW TO FLY A PLANE! lol I know its a little drastic how I'm expressing it but for me this is Chinese.  Those of you that have actually have taken a baking course may know what this mean. Here is a pic of the pages.  

Thanks a lot cake Props :)

7 replies
Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 12:49am
post #2 of 8

AThis refers to feet above sea level that you live. If you live in a high mountainous area, you need to make adjustments to baking recipes. Where do you live? You can google the elevation of your town, but if you live below 3000 feet above sea level, you do not need to make any adjustments.

For example, I live in Baltimore which is practically AT sea level, so no adjustments. Denver, the "mile-high city," is 5280 feet above sea level, so you'd follow the guidelines for the 5000' adjustments.

cakelove2105 Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 12:55am
post #3 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassyzan 

This refers to feet above sea level that you live. If you live in a high mountainous area, you need to make adjustments to baking recipes. Where do you live? You can google the elevation of your town, but if you live below 3000 feet above sea level, you do not need to make any adjustments.

For example, I live in Baltimore which is practically AT sea level, so no adjustments. Denver, the "mile-high city," is 5280 feet above sea level, so you'd follow the guidelines for the 5000' adjustments.

I live in Pennsylvania. How should I search it on google?

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 12:59am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelove2105 

I live in Pennsylvania. How should I search it on google?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_level

https://www.google.com.sg/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=w75VU6XdH-qQiAfI3oHICQ#q=sea+level+of+pennsylvania

I think we learned this in elementary school, at least by 4th grade.

Sassyzan Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 1:00am
post #5 of 8

APut your town name and " elevation" in the search box, there are only two peaks in PA above 3000 feet: Mt Davis and Blue Knob, so unless you live there, you do not need to make any adjustments. http://peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=13321

cakelove2105 Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 1:04am
post #6 of 8

Thank you both. I really appreciate it ;-D

Sassyzan Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 1:06am
post #7 of 8

ANo problem! Happy baking!

Ps...I borrowed that book from a friend, but haven't made anything yet. What recipe are you starting with?

cakelove2105 Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 1:20am
post #8 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassyzan 

No problem! Happy baking!

Ps...I borrowed that book from a friend, but haven't made anything yet. What recipe are you starting with?

I still don't get to the recipes parts of the book. I'm more interesting in other information such as oven temperature, batter making process, ticks etc... However, when I get to the first recipe I know I won't be able to help myself from making it. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%