Wedding Cake Buttercream!

Decorating By MeekaLee Updated 1 May 2014 , 9:05am by jsmith795

MeekaLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeekaLee Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 15

Hello fellow cakies!

I am making my mother in laws wedding cake for August. I have used fondant plenty of times and am confident in using it however my bride has a few other ideas up her sleeve! Instead of fondant she wants it to be covered in a buttercream, vintage style so not flat, all puffed up and flicky. In the photos she has given me it looks gorgeous, even dyed a nice ivory colour, very vintage chic. However I'm freaking out about it melting! I live 4 hours away so I know I will have to frost the cake at the venue however it's a winter wedding and they have a fireplace so will the cake need to be refrigerated until serving? Anybody know of any good recipes that won't melt? I have used one "fake" buttercream recipe which is just icing sugar, copha and vanilla. It just tastes too fake and fatty to me. I have attached a photo of what frosting she is talking about, please give me your suggestions and theories people!
Sorry for the novel ^^

Meeka.

14 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 15

So someone is having a reception in an environment hot enough to melt a cake? Did I read that right....the fireplace will be ON, in August? If it's indoors, surely there will be air conditioning? I use SMBC all year, even in my area that can see 110 degree Fahrenheit weather for days on end. But no one has outdoor events, and I work inside with the a/c on of course. Surely you can use whatever you want, especially if you're decorating on site?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeekaLee 

Hello fellow cakies!

"".......I am making my mother in laws wedding cake for August. .....""

Mother In Law    doesn't that mean that she's already married to your dad? 

lcubed83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcubed83 Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 11:20pm
post #4 of 15

August is winter in some parts of the world.  Her avatar doesn't tell us where she lives.  She does mention Copha instead of Crisco, so I'm assuming Australia.

Mother in Law would be OP's husband's mother!  

As long as the cake is not set right in front of the fire, I would think a buttercream would be OK. 

I am getting ready to transport iced cake tiers 10 hours.  With proper boxing and a cool car, there's no reason not to have it iced already.

Good luck!

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeekaLee 

Hello fellow cakies!

"".......I am making my mother in laws wedding cake for August. .....""

Mother In Law    doesn't that mean that she's already married to your dad? 

That would be step-mother!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 15

Ah, yep, good observation. So the concern is melting because of the fireplace, not the weather. 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 21 Apr 2014 , 11:52pm
post #7 of 15

Whew....I must have eaten too many candy Easter Eggs.  :P 

MeekaLee jump onto the Australian thread you'll probably get some super good answers.

SweetNeddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetNeddy Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 1:40am
post #8 of 15

I love this kind of design!  As long as you place the cake away from the fire you should be fine.  Also, with real butter and vanilla, you shouldn't need to dye it ivory - it'll be a pale ivory naturally.  Even better, if you want a darker ivory - and a richer buttercream, try making a mousseline buttercream.  It uses whole eggs, so the yolks bring a richer color and texture - it also holds up beautifully.  Here's a link to a Rose Levy recipe and instructions.... I highly recommend a candy thermometer for the sugar.

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2012/03/buttecream_rules.html

Cara-mel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cara-mel Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 3:02am
post #9 of 15

Beautiful cake idea! I like it.  It so classy. I will have to give that one a try.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 3:42am
post #10 of 15

That design is so quick and easy, the perfect cake to do away from your kitchen.  Try it out on your next cake for your friends or family and see how easy it is.  Any icing should work, what is your usual recipe?  That should be fine.

jsmith795 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith795 Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 9:54am
post #11 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cara-mel 

Beautiful cake idea! I like it.  It so classy. I will have to give that one a try.

Agreed, looks amazing! 

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 2:10pm
post #12 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcubed83 

August is winter in some parts of the world.  Her avatar doesn't tell us where she lives.  She does mention Copha instead of Crisco, so I'm assuming Australia.

Mother in Law would be OP's husband's mother! 

Or OP's wife's mother (since avatar doesn't tell us gender either!).

lcubed83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcubed83 Posted 22 Apr 2014 , 2:29pm
post #13 of 15

True indeed!  Never assume!

Heavenly Bites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heavenly Bites Posted 28 Apr 2014 , 6:18am
post #14 of 15

Here is a link to a great little recipe that I found a while back - have used it several times, with rave reviews.  I use 1/2 butter though as I don't like the taste of just shortening.  HTH  xo

http://cakecentral.com/a/delicious-crusting-snow-white-buttercream-decorators-icing?utm_source=CakeCentralNewsletter&utm_campaign=Fondant+Frill+Tutorial+plus+Crusting+Buttercream+Recipe&utm_medium=email

jsmith795 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith795 Posted 1 May 2014 , 9:05am
post #15 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavenly Bites 

Here is a link to a great little recipe that I found a while back - have used it several times, with rave reviews.  I use 1/2 butter though as I don't like the taste of just shortening.  HTH  xo

http://cakecentral.com/a/delicious-crusting-snow-white-buttercream-decorators-icing?utm_source=CakeCentralNewsletter&utm_campaign=Fondant+Frill+Tutorial+plus+Crusting+Buttercream+Recipe&utm_medium=email

Thank you so much for this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%