Feedback On How I Am Going To Tackle Making 50 Tiered Wedding Cakelets?

Decorating By FDBaker Updated 14 Apr 2014 , 10:26pm by me_me1

FDBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FDBaker Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 4:55am
post #1 of 5

I was hoping to get some feedback on how I plan to tackle 50ea 2 or 3 tiered mini cakes/cakelets. They are going to be about 2.5-3 inches total height each. Here's what I plan to do:

1. Bake white cake and let cool, trim and crumbcoat top with apricot glaze.

2. Cut the cake into 2/3 tiered shapes with cookie cutter and stick together.(They want the cakes 2.5-3 inches) 

3. Using a large skewer I am going to skewer the cake down and crumb coat it smooth with apricot glaze 

4. Once set I am going to use slightly thin poured/steamed buttercream icing to cover the mini cakes. (this is my biggest worry. I am afraid the icing will be to thick to cover the mini cakes and look "fat" or have undefined layers.)

5. Stick the cakes onto a small cookie with a little icing to allow people to "hold it" or I can cover the bottom with white chocolate and serve them on small silver pastry rounds.   (I'd love anyone's opinion on which they think is the better method)

I am either going to do a small white daisy like flower ontop or a small white chocolate initials. Any feedback, advice, or opinions on my plans is most appreciated. I am nervous as I've never made anything like this before. 

Thank you!

4 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 6:09am
post #2 of 5

ABest thing would be to invest in some Squires mini pans. Each little cake will be smooth on the sides that way and you'll save time covering them and of course cutting out the circles. I wouldn't dream of doing mini cakes without those pans.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FDBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FDBaker Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 6:16am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the pan suggestions, i'll definitely look into it. I just have to make one or two tomorrow for a tasting, do you think my gameplan above will work for one or two cakes?

Also, do the pans come in  different sizes? I need the cakes to be tiered. I saw the tier mini cake mold pan, but I'm not sure that I want to spend the time baking 50 cakes 4-6 at a time. Although maybe that's less hassle than trying to cut and crumb coat 50 cakes Lol (I am on a budget and can't really buy much right now).

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 5

FDBaker, would you mind posting a pic of how the cookie cutter ones turn out?  I'd love to see.

I'd be investing in the tiered pans - it would definitely save me time in the long run and I think it would be much less hassle than trying to fiddle around with cutting out separate tiers and making them all look the same.  I'd probably just cover with a pourable ganache.  Messy, but fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%