My "ladies' Night Out" Experience

Business By Oreo27 Updated 15 Apr 2014 , 4:02pm by bakernoob

Oreo27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oreo27 Posted 12 Apr 2014 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 5

Thank-you to all who answered my questions a few days ago about how much to bake for that event. I went with about 124  cupcakes plus the samples. Learn from me ladies. It was a nightmare. They put me next to a "food supplement bar" person. My samples were all gobbled up, and my sales were HORRIBLE even though everyone said my stuff was "delicious." Never again will I pay a booth fee at an even that requires you to give out samples. The lady in charge of the whole shabang made a killing off of all the vendors. I was one of 2 people selling desserts and found out in the middle of the night that the other lady was not giving out samples, even though supposedly we were required to. A total joke. I get so geared up because I love to bake, but the whole thing came crashing down. Unfortunately I am locked into another event in May, but after that, I won't be doing anything. It is just not worth it. When we did the math last night, I came home with $27 dollars profit, and was actually negative because that no way near covered my cost for ingredients, boxes, ect. Sorry to be such a downer. Chalk it up to experience.

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Apr 2014 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreo27 

Thank-you to all who answered my questions a few days ago about how much to bake for that event. I went with about 124  cupcakes plus the samples. Learn from me ladies. It was a nightmare. They put me next to a "food supplement bar" person. My samples were all gobbled up, and my sales were HORRIBLE even though everyone said my stuff was "delicious." Never again will I pay a booth fee at an even that requires you to give out samples. The lady in charge of the whole shabang made a killing off of all the vendors. I was one of 2 people selling desserts and found out in the middle of the night that the other lady was not giving out samples, even though supposedly we were required to. A total joke. I get so geared up because I love to bake, but the whole thing came crashing down. Unfortunately I am locked into another event in May, but after that, I won't be doing anything. It is just not worth it. When we did the math last night, I came home with $27 dollars profit, and was actually negative because that no way near covered my cost for ingredients, boxes, ect. Sorry to be such a downer. Chalk it up to experience.

Can you not hand out samples next time? if it's the last time you plan on dealing with this woman and her "events" then why not?

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 7:13am
post #3 of 5

Ditto. And good luck.

Number2daughter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Number2daughter Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 5

Doggone! I was hoping for more for you. Guess I'm not surprised. I have done a number of events from ladies night out to fundraisers for sororities and have found they are much the same-everybody loves the samples, tells you they are "amazing" but very few sales-at least not at the event (hopefully future cake orders). You asked about my location in an earlier post-the ladies night out events I attended were in an affluent community in a large midwest well-to-do university town-money was there, just no buying. I have gotten very wary of offers to "let me be a part of this exciting event"and of event coordinators who talk big. Sorry your experience wasn't any better. Keep on Cakin'!

bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 5

How disappointing :-( At least you can plan on bringing way less cupcakes and samples to this next one though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%