Groom-Zilla - A Story Of A Struggling Cake Artist & The Client She Already Knows Is Gonna Give Her A Headache...

Business By Moniquea Updated 29 Jan 2015 , 10:04pm by cakebaby2

7189de Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7189de Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 1:43pm
post #31 of 40

Praying for you! He sounds like a spoiled kid and will try not to pay. Really cover yourself in contract. Let's face it nothing is perfect when handcrafted. 

Good Luck

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 12:00am
post #32 of 40

I am praying that you will not make this cake. It is not worth what he will put you thru. Take the next person that will be nicer. He is domineering or the bride to be would have spoken up about her wedding cake too. believe me, I know some domineering men. Thank God, mine is not!!!   Run,Forest,Run!!!! lol!!!

embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 15 Apr 2014 , 1:37am
post #33 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by icer101 

I am praying that you will not make this cake. It is not worth what he will put you thru. Take the next person that will be nicer. He is domineering or the bride to be would have spoken up about her wedding cake too. believe me, I know some domineering men. Thank God, mine is not!!!   Run,Forest,Run!!!! lol!!!

+1

OP, I know it's tempting to challenge yourself as a decorator as well as making money.  From what's been said in this thread, however, this groom is going to give you much more trouble than you think he will.  No cake is worth any of that.

Moniquea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moniquea Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 2:58pm
post #34 of 40

Just an update:

I did practice this design and it came out wonderfully.  However because of all of the wonderful caring support from all of you, I did cancel the cake order.  This was only the second 2 hardest thing I had to do for my business last year and myself!  But I have really grown as a result and that is what I'm most proud of.

Thank you!

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 11:53pm
post #35 of 40

Nope I wouldn't touch this cake. Not because I couldn't do it, but because this has trouble written all over it.  This is not going to end well for you.  It's not about taking on a bully, it's about choosing a clientele that will listen to what your saying and offering, understanding your skill set and the product you feel comfortable putting out.  From what I can tell from your post, I foresee that the only thing that makes this person happy is feeling in control...he will not be happy with whatever you end up creating and will score another refund for himself.  I truly feel that standing up for yourself starts now by not taking this cake. Good luck to you !

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 11:57pm
post #36 of 40

AGlad to hear you did not take the cake order. Sometimes as business owners we have to do things in the best interest of the business even though it may be hard. I would like to see your practice cake though if you don't mind posting. The original was just beautiful and I'm sure yours is just as pretty.

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 12:29am
post #37 of 40

AAll money is not good money!!!

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 1:55am
post #38 of 40

jedi so true!!

Moniquea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moniquea Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 3:29am
post #39 of 40

I will look for the pic and post.  It was just practice so not the right colors but you get the idea ;)

BTW - The guy I am in a court battle with - the court date is coming up.  I got help from a new lawyer friend and am so proud of my progress.  After going through this with the lawyer and all my other prep and standing up for myself with this cake issue and another cake issue I didn't mention (but it went smoothly) - I feel like even if I don't win (because he is a talented liar) I will have done my best and my best with everyone's help is looking pretty darn good ;)

For the first time instead of settling for 'I did my best', like an empty consolation prize - I can proudly say I couldn't do any better.  The outcome is not up to me but I will be happy in myself :)

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 29 Jan 2015 , 10:04pm
post #40 of 40

We're right behind you girl! Good luck x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%