Friday Night Cake Club For 4/11/14

Decorating By catlharper Updated 14 Apr 2014 , 3:46pm by TallxLen

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 12 Apr 2014 , 3:03am
post #1 of 18

AOpening up another session of the FNCC. Everyone is welcome to post about your week, post photos of your work, ask for help or provide help if you can.

Cat

17 replies
catlharper Posted 12 Apr 2014 , 3:55am
post #2 of 18

AHi everyone! Out of town for an event but will post photos of this weeks cake tomorrow night! Hope everyone had a great week!

Cat

lcubed83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcubed83 Posted 12 Apr 2014 , 4:20am
post #3 of 18

This weekend is "testing time" for me!  I have a 6" cake cooling now, and another one already baked.  I am testing:

Woodland Bakery SMBC

Turning part of that into Peanut Butter SMBC

Satin Ice Fondant from Hobby Lobby

the new Wilton fondant from Michaels

I have to narrow down exactly what I am using for a wedding cake 1 month away! 

I also have more gumpaste cherry blossoms to make, then wire into a spray.  By Monday, I have to see if I have enough flowers, or if I should go ahead and order from Caljava!

I'm enjoying it all, but will be glad when this is all done!

catlharper Posted 12 Apr 2014 , 4:28am
post #4 of 18

AIcecubed,

A wedding cake is such an ordeal! I'm always so nervous. Never had any issues but always a bit freaked out! I have 2 this summer and all the rest of my bookings are party cakes. A bit relieved at that!LOL!

monicaluvscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monicaluvscake Posted 12 Apr 2014 , 4:45am
post #5 of 18

AMade my first cake in months!! Trying to get my cake mode back! Chocolate yum!

catlharper Posted 12 Apr 2014 , 4:47am
post #6 of 18

ALove chocolate cake...that's my favorite!

lcubed83 Posted 12 Apr 2014 , 4:50am
post #7 of 18

I've been planning this wedding cake for almost a year!  I am  a hobby baker, and this is for my niece.  She is very excited about it, so I want it to be perfect!

In the meantime, I have several platters of decorated cookies to do for graduations for friends, and a platter for the auction for the youth misson trip at church.  Cookies are so less stressful!  if you make a mistake, you just eat it and continue on!  

Linda 

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 12 Apr 2014 , 9:40am
post #8 of 18

I like that attitude Linda, the eating one, that is

No pics from me.  I am busy making the hidden surprise carrot cake.  The cake is now made and waiting to be iced.  I tried 2 new recipes, a Lemon sour cream one for the carrots (and then dyed it orange) and a double chocolate cake for the dirt.  Both of them are a lovely texture and well worth the calories.  I have made a grey rabbit, with a carrot in it's grasp to go on top and a couple of 'bunnie bums', for digging rabbits.

Tomorrow I am going to make a white chocolate, mango mudcake to take away for the Easter break.  I will probably practice some sort of technique on it on Monday but am yet to decide what.  I am having visitors for dinner on Tuesday and thought that I might serve it to them with Mascarpone Ice-cream for an easy dessert.

If my surprise cake works I'll post a pic here after I get back from the Easter camping trip.  Hope you all have a great break.

texasporvida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasporvida Posted 12 Apr 2014 , 9:57am
post #9 of 18

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3219818/width/200/height/400[/IMG]I made these simple cupcakes for my daughter's party at school. I was going for the bunny ear cupcakes by Rosebakes but couldn't find the exact cutter she used. So, I had to improvise. Please ignore the pan I put them in, my daughter is 3 so I just put them in something I had. I also made a chocolate chip cake, a pound cake, and 2 recipes of banana pudding for a work function. Well, ok, one recipe was for us! It was a busy week, but spring break just started and I am so excited.

Hope everyone has a good weekend. -Tracy

lcubed83 Posted 12 Apr 2014 , 12:52pm
post #10 of 18

Cute!!

lcubed83 Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 7:30pm
post #11 of 18

Quote:

This weekend is "testing time" for me!  I have a 6" cake cooling now, and another one already baked.  I am testing:

Woodland Bakery SMBC

Turning part of that into Peanut Butter SMBC

Satin Ice Fondant from Hobby Lobby

the new Wilton fondant from Michaels

First and second test- YUM!  The SMBC is great, and adding the peanut butter worked well.  Tested on Devil's food, as that's all I had.  Will probably using more of a Chocolate Fudge for the actual cake.

This SMBC has a Hi Ratio as part of the fat.  As I have to ice/fondant on Wednesday, then travel 10 hours on Thursday for a Saturday wedding, I get some (maybe misguided) comfort that it is not ALL butter.

White ganache is cooling for the next layer (I forgot to list this in the tests!), then on to fondant!  With storms passing through today, spending the day in the kitchen is a good distraction!

dizzydoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dizzydoll Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 8:03pm
post #12 of 18

Hi I'm new to CC :)

I've had a few cakes this wek.

A christening cake for a little boy:

A Birthday cake in the shape of a shoe (my first sculpted cake that was cake rather than RKT)

And just to have extra things to show on my new fb page for dessert today I made my favourite rainbow cake with white chocolate buttercream!

dizzydoll Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 8:04pm
post #13 of 18
ScarletBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ScarletBaker Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 8:06pm
post #14 of 18

AReally thrown in at the deep end! I made my first cake for a friend just before Xmas as she was ill in hospital and had left it too late to order a cake for her husbands 50th Birthday. I loved it and so signed up for a cake course in January and then as "luck" would have it my a very good friend called out of the blue and asked would I make her wedding cake after seeing a photo of the 50th birthday cake!! I've been nervous all week but I did it and she loved it![IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3220522/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

dizzydoll Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 8:30pm
post #15 of 18

That is gorgeous ScarletBaker love the flowers they make it look so delicately beautiful!

ScarletBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ScarletBaker Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 9:39pm
post #16 of 18

AThank you dizzydoll, I'm still on cloud9 and planning my next project. Easter holls are here so I'm going to look at making some large sugarpaste roses. Did you follow a tutorial for your trainer cake ? It's fab!

dizzydoll Posted 13 Apr 2014 , 10:29pm
post #17 of 18

Oh I'd say they will be lovely. I really need to try some flowers.

Thank you for your compliment on the trainer cake :) I didn't follow a tutorial just picked up a shoe and looked at it every now and then so very much trial and error and nowhere near what I'd like it to be but now I have a better understanding of how to do things next time haha :)

I'm just starting out and trying to practice as many different ideas as possible just need the people to eat them haha :)

This week I have some Easter cupcakes and an Easter celebration cake to do, the following week will be a handbag and shoes sculpted cake, then a Judo cake, a sculpted dog cake and a lego cake and somewhere in there 2 housewarming cakes. I have a busy few weeks coming up!

TallxLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TallxLen Posted 14 Apr 2014 , 3:46pm
post #18 of 18

Having never really frosted a cake before, I decided to challenge myself.

A couple weeks into the first Wilton class, but wanted to practice this weekend.

Here are my first two attempts at Easter cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%