How To Start A Legit Cake Business?

Decorating By stellascake Updated 10 Apr 2014 , 11:48am by katecupcake

stellascake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stellascake Posted 9 Apr 2014 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 7

AMy question is this.... Does anyone have a link that gives you the ins and outs of what all you need to get a business up and running? Like regulations as well as all the equipment a place would have to have? I've been poking around on the Internet and having found anything to the exact point! In would greatly appreciate it, I am in the state of Indiana if that matters at all! Just wanting to see what it would take! I know Incan sell at farmers markets and roadside but having an actual business would be a dream!

6 replies
enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 9 Apr 2014 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 7

Hi Stella this site might help you.

http://www.in.gov/sos/business/3783.htm

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Apr 2014 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 7

very good jumping off place, enga--

and as far as i know, stella,  there's not one place for everything baking related--and if there is i would not trust it 100%

you need to contact your local county health officials, as well as city business license folks, maybe dept of agriculture, possibly code enforcement, the zoning board, multiple places that are not necessarily connected by dots--there can be more than a little confusion as different agencies within the government could give conflicting information--

for example i had an online friend say they were moving here to my area and that the health department said they could bake from home and sell--and you can but not decorated cake--decorated cake comes under catering--but you can bake farmer's market stuff if you comply with those rules--there's just so many different ins and outs specific to each locality you just gotta fasten your seat belt and go for it--

best to you

kahulamae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kahulamae Posted 9 Apr 2014 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 7

AIn Georgia it is different from one county to the next, so you just have to find out based on where you live.

stellascake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stellascake Posted 9 Apr 2014 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 7

AThank you all! I'm looking all over the Indiana website for regulations!

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 9 Apr 2014 , 11:33pm
post #6 of 7
katecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katecupcake Posted 10 Apr 2014 , 11:48am
post #7 of 7

Hi,

I'm UK based but when I started out I just got in touch with my local council who pointed me in the right direction for starting a business so I made sure I had everything in place before I started such as hygiene, insurance etc. Do you have a local governing body you could ask?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%