Info About Royal Icing, Please

Decorating By shellielatham Updated 9 Apr 2014 , 2:05pm by shellielatham

shellielatham Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellielatham Posted 9 Apr 2014 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 2

I have never used it. I'm familiar with a lot of cake decorating, I've just never ventured into Royal Icing. I have a friend who is planning a Frozen themed birthday party and while I was looking at the fun party ideas I was just compelled to make a cake with some snowflakes. I made up some RI via the Wilton recipe. It was so hard there was no way to pipe it. I added water and water and water until I got a pipe-able consistency. I read to beat on MED speed if using a stand mixer. I did kick my KitchenAid up on high to pull in al that icing from the sides and beat out the icing that built up inside the wisk attachment. That was my first thought as to why it didn't turn out right. I have since read about adding too much air causes improper constancies. My real issue here is the peaks I'm getting when piping. I piped out some snowflakes and just general shapes to get the feel for RI on some wax paper and there is a peak every place I stopped piping. This caused all my shapes to look like I was piping out toothpaste or something. I tried smoothing them out with my finger but I know there is an easier way. How thick of a consistency would you recommend for piping things like snowflakes or letters etc...?

1 reply
shellielatham Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%