Royal Icing Flowers Help

Decorating By smile22 Updated 8 Apr 2014 , 7:40pm by smile22

smile22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smile22 Posted 8 Apr 2014 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 4

i took a wilton decorating class the first one to brush up on my skills i mostly work with cupcakes so usually stick to various methods of swirls and designs on the cupcake using the piping bag. we learned how to make drop flowers using the 2d tip and leaving them to dry out. what we used was just a  buttercream  icing  to make them i used the wiltons recipe but did a 50 50 blend of shorting and butter. but the flowers didn't come out.

we are doing cupcakes for my bridal shower and since i am the only one who can bling them out and pipe on them i wanted to put a sugar flower in the center. there is a place i can get them from but they are expensive. i would love to make my own sugar flowers like small dropped ones  i asked my instructor about the ones that are super hard and she said they are made using  royal icing

how can i make the flowers using royal icing do they sell the icing pre made or do i have to make it how long should the drop flowers sit out and would using a 2d tip work vs a smaller star tip?

i really want to get more creative in decorating my cupcakes right now i bling them out with toppings like fresh fruits chocolate caramel drizzles, sprinkles cookies etc but would love to start making themed stuff

3 replies
jasso83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jasso83 Posted 8 Apr 2014 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 4

you can make the royal icing yourself  and either tip is good  and just 1 day for it to harden up and be able to use. I do believe that wilton sells one but am not to sure

jasso83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jasso83 Posted 8 Apr 2014 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 4

sorry to make your own you need  3 tablespoons meringue powder, 4 cups confectioners sugar , 6 tablespoons warm water mix all together and blend for about 10 -12 minutes until it forms a peak . IF you want if stiffer use on 5 tablespoons of water and make sure to keep all utensils grease free cause then it wont work . hope this helps

smile22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smile22 Posted 8 Apr 2014 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 4

AOk thanks for the recipe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%