"naked Cakes"

Decorating By mrsg1111 Updated 7 Apr 2014 , 4:02pm by mrsg1111

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 7 Apr 2014 , 1:10am
post #1 of 7

I'm falling in  love the "Naked Cakes"  I've been seeing them more and more and the more I see them the more I love them!  BUT if anyone has created one or has tasted one, are they dry?  I always thought that the icing and fondant kept the cakes from drying out...  I would love to know other's thoughts and feelings about them.

:)

6 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 7 Apr 2014 , 3:11am
post #2 of 7

You're right that icing and fondant keep cakes from drying out. Paper liners function in the same way. Naked cakes are a cute fad but are counter-productive to a retail display. 

mrsg1111 Posted 7 Apr 2014 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 7

That's what I thought and good to know if anyone inquires about them.  Thank you!

mrsg1111 Posted 7 Apr 2014 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 7

I was told by customer service of where I purchased the dragees that they are the same gold dragees as year ago, and they just recommend they be removed and not eaten. Still didn't answer my question.  My best guess is because of the metallic color and the result of too much being ingested.  I'll just advise them to remove them before serving. I'm not going to have many on the cake anyway.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 7 Apr 2014 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsg1111 

I was told by customer service of where I purchased the dragees that they are the same gold dragees as year ago, and they just recommend they be removed and not eaten. Still didn't answer my question.  

I'm not sure what your question is. I wrote about this topic last year. Non-Toxic Does Not = Edible 

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 7 Apr 2014 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 7

I'd only do naked cakes if the edges were brushed or sprayed with a simple syrup and then I'd use acetate strips around the edge for display.

mrsg1111 Posted 7 Apr 2014 , 4:02pm
post #7 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

I'm not sure what your question is. I wrote about this topic last year. Non-Toxic Does Not = Edible 

LOL, I apologize I was going back and forth between 2 different posts. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%