How Do I Make Mangy Looking Fur?

Decorating By luvmykids2bits Updated 4 Apr 2014 , 10:20pm by savannahquinn

luvmykids2bits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmykids2bits Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 1:41am
post #1 of 7

My son turns 10 next week and wants a Princess Bride movie party (BEST film of all time!)  The requested cake, of course, is an ROUS, or rodent of unusual size.  He wants chocolate cake, so I plan to make and stack cakes and then carve them into the shape of an ROUS, ganache it, and then use fondant accents for the claws and teeth, but then I'm stumped for the fur.  How in the world would should I do the body?  Fondant?  Buttercream?  If I use fondant, how do I get it to look rough and fur-like?  It has to impress 10 year old boys, so I want it to look as ugly and realistic as possible!

rous.jpg

6 replies
luvmykids2bits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmykids2bits Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 7

Anyone?

caritoblue9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caritoblue9 Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 7

AHello! I need help!! I been doing cakes for family and friends but someone request me this hello kitty cake made out of fondant but i dont know how much to charge them? Help [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3215752/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by caritoblue9 

Hello! I need help!! I been doing cakes for family and friends but someone request me this hello kitty cake made out of fondant but i dont know how much to charge them? Help

It's not nice to hijack someone's thread. If you do a search about Pricing, you'll find tons of relevant threads with good information, you just have to read them.

caritoblue9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caritoblue9 Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 7

AIt was a mistake and i really apologize , i am not hijacking anybody's thread i post it here by mistake and i can't erase it

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 7

AFirst of all, awesome movie! Secondly, I think I would go with buttercream and use the "grass" tip. (Wilton #233 I believe.) you can get a good ugly fur colour by mixing a bit of black food colouring into chocolate buttercream. You could even do it in a few different greyish-brown colours and make it patchy and mangy looking. But really, "Rodents of unusual size? I don't think they exist." :D

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 10:20pm
post #7 of 7

Yes I agree grass tip, then could you "smush" some down by using an abbreviated viva paper towel method...or maybe crinkling up wax paper into w loose ball and "dabbing" it spots to compress the butter cream? 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%