Will Someone Please Try This Simple Recipe For Me?

Lounge By sugarbabygirl Updated 30 Apr 2014 , 1:00am by Norasmom

sugarbabygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbabygirl Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 58

i have a sweet 16 cake to do, if someone has anytime at all to try this simple recipe for me and give me your reviews i will be ever so thankful!!!

1 box vanilla cake mix
1 box vanilla instant pudding
8 oz vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water or milk
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)

Bake at 325.

(thats all the vague instructions i was given.)

57 replies
thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 58

AWhy don't you try it? Why ask somebody else to do research for you?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 58

AWow.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecakewitch 

Why don't you try it? Why ask somebody else to do research for you?

I was just thinking the same thing. 

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 58

Seriously? 

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 58

Tried it.  Just pulled it out of the oven, and it came out looking like this.  Magic cake!

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 9:46pm
post #7 of 58

I made it .... and figured you'd WANT it decorated too

sugarbabygirl Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 9:47pm
post #8 of 58

ABecause I come from a lower class family, I'm only 15 and I'm doing this cake at no charge for a friend, and even if I could bake the cake I can't judge my own cake I need other peoples criticism that's experienced to help me. Everyone in my house is gluten intolerant except me and my grandmother who taught me everything I know lives in a different state. The girl asked me to bake a cake that tastes Like publix cake and this is a copy cat recipe,I don't get paid to bake like some of you guys do, I do it because I love it. No reason to be so harsh. I'm sorry if I angered anyone I just need some help. Isn't the point of this site to help and get help? To share experiences that just might help someone from making mistakes a ruining their cake and/or reputation for their business?

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 9:54pm
post #9 of 58

Sweetie it would have helped HAD you provided this information with your ORIGINAL post   - can you understand how people may have thought you were some demanding new caker who wanted somebody to do their 'homework'

The reason people react like this .....is that DEMANDING new caker is breeding like mice!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 10:03pm
post #10 of 58

Isn't there gluten in the boxed cake mix?

AZCouture Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 10:04pm
post #11 of 58

AI would ask this friend to buy the supplies for you, and experiment, if you're that strapped for cash. Sounds like a reasonable request if she's any kind of friend.

AZCouture Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 10:05pm
post #12 of 58

AOr is this a stranger?

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 10:06pm
post #13 of 58

AIf you truly love to bake, you will learn that trial & error are the only real ways to learn. Try this recipe well before it's due, so you can taste it, feel the texture, learn how the recipe bakes, and have a run-through to make sure you've got all the steps down. Only you can determine if the recipe/cake is to your standards. My oven, in either my home or commercial kitchen, won't bake quite like yours. My mixing technique is probably very different from yours, so my results would be different. It's up to you to figure it out on this one.

sugarbabygirl Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 10:08pm
post #14 of 58

AI don't get why people just expect to put aside their busy schedule to help someone who's ungrateful and demanding. I just asked if someone had a little extra time, not to stop everything and do it for me. And I thought if I shared this (even though I know a lot of people on this sight despise box cake) that they could add it into their library for future easy use. Someone on this site just posted that recipe just as I had written it and I have no idea how to add things in to it. Some of these sarcastic posts really hurt, I look up to some of these women on this website, its like your favorite superhero showing you the ropes. They're exactly what I want to be when I grow up, amazingly talented in an art I've always wanted to be. Some of you guys think your commenting on someones help post that gives them advice is only helping one person when really I'm learning things from posts in '07 that I'd hadn't known if someone didn't need help back then.

sugarbabygirl Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 10:15pm
post #15 of 58

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

Or is this a stranger?

Friend of a friend

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 10:34pm
post #16 of 58

Since I live alone and wouldn't be able to eat up a whole cake I'll not offer to try that recipe for you BUT........

It is somewhat similar to my WASC recipe (link:  http://cakecentral.com/t/584319/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe  )

To me the recipe you posted has a LOT of oil and I definitely would add the extract - probably 2 teaspoons.  Since it is similar to the WASC I think it will taste fine but have lots of extra calories w/that much oil in it. 

As for directions I would just dump it all together and mix (with a hand-held electric mixer) on medium for 2 minutes.

Be sure to grease & flour the pan before pouring in the batter.

It will make one 10"x2" round OR 9"x2" round OR 8"x2" square cake.

I suggest you bake it at 300 degrees for about 20 minutes, then turn the temp up to 325 for another 20-30 minutes.

Hope that information help you.

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 10:40pm
post #17 of 58

Because I come from a lower class family, I'm only 15 (Being poor or rich, being 15 or 65 is not the point. Your first post on this thread sounds demanding and entitled.) and I'm doing this cake at no charge for a friend, and even if I could bake the cake I can't judge my own cake I need other peoples criticism that's experienced to help me. Everyone in my house is gluten intolerant except me and my grandmother who taught me everything I know lives in a different state. The girl asked me to bake a cake that tastes
Like public cake and this is a copy cat recipe,I don't get paid to bake like some of you guys do,(So the character cake you made here for your "client" http://cakecentral.com/t/768210/newbie-with-questions-i-hope-i-havent-ruined-my-cakes#post_7485911, and the Tardis cake you made here for a "client" http://cakecentral.com/t/768281/layering-tardis-birthday-cake#post_7486504, you're telling us you didn't get paid? I do it because I love it. No reason to be so harsh. I'm sorry if I angered anyone I just need some help. Isn't the point of this site to help and get help? To share experiences that just might help someone from making mistakes a ruining their cake and/or reputation for their business?

sugarbabygirl Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 10:59pm
post #18 of 58

A

Original message sent by thecakewitch

[COLOR=404040]Because I come from a lower class family, I'm only 15 [B](Being poor or rich, being 15 or 65 is not the point. Your first post on this thread sounds demanding and entitled.) [/B]and I'm doing this cake at no charge for a friend, and even if I could bake the cake I can't judge my own cake I need other peoples criticism that's experienced to help me. Everyone in my house is gluten intolerant except me and my grandmother who taught me everything I know lives in a different state. The girl asked me to bake a cake that tastes[/COLOR][COLOR=404040] [/COLOR][COLOR=404040]Like public cake and this is a copy cat recipe,I don't get paid to bake like some of you guys do,[B](So the character cake you made here for your "client" [/B][/COLOR][URL=http://cakecentral.com/t/768210/newbie-with-questions-i-hope-i-havent-ruined-my-cakes#post_7485911]http://cakecentral.com/t/768210/newbie-with-questions-i-hope-i-havent-ruined-my-cakes#post_7485911[/URL], [B]and the Tardis cake you made here for a "client" [/B][URL=http://cakecentral.com/t/768281/layering-tardis-birthday-cake#post_7486504]http://cakecentral.com/t/768281/layering-tardis-birthday-cake#post_7486504[/URL][B], you're telling us you didn't [/B][B]get paid?[/B][COLOR=404040] I do it because I love it. No reason to be so harsh. I'm sorry if I angered anyone I just need some help. Isn't the point of this site to help and get help? To share experiences that just might help someone from making mistakes a ruining their cake and/or reputation for their business?[/COLOR]

My great grandmother sends me money from time to time to do things for people. I have not done that tardis cake yet, thats for a party this summer. I pre plan everything so I'm not rushed at all. And my other friends parents insisted on paying me, I asked them not to but they payed for everything and I paid them back when I could.

howsweet Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 11:01pm
post #19 of 58

The point of this site is not to ask others to do a bunch of work for you regardless of whatever reason you might think you're entitled to have them do stuff for you. Kakeladi answered the question you might have asked. Or you could have asked if anyone has tried this recipe.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 11:15pm
post #20 of 58

A

Original message sent by sugarbabygirl

I don't get why people just expect to put aside their busy schedule to help someone who's ungrateful and demanding. I just asked if someone had a little extra time, not to stop everything and do it for me. And I thought if I shared this (even though I know a lot of people on this sight despise box cake) that they could add it into their library for future easy use. Someone on this site just posted that recipe just as I had written it and I have no idea how to add things in to it. Some of these sarcastic posts really hurt, I look up to some of these women on this website, its like your favorite superhero showing you the ropes. They're exactly what I want to be when I grow up, amazingly talented in an art I've always wanted to be. Some of you guys think your commenting on someones help post that gives them advice is only helping one person when really I'm learning things from posts in '07 that I'd hadn't known if someone didn't need help back then.

Time to get over yourself and put some big girl panties on. You truly aren't surprised at some of the responses you received are you given how your question was posed? Instead of asking people to do the recipe for you, it would have been better if you had asked if anyone had ever made it before. No one can read your mind... You cant expect the world to do your work for you so you can 'learn'. We learn by doing...we learn by mistakes...and we learn by criticism both good and bad. You have taste buds. I assume you have friends that do too. Make a cake and have your friends do a taste testing. You might have a little fun while getting some practice in.

And before I get trounced for being 'mean', I'm not saying anything to the OP that hasn't been said to me before by someone who I've looked up to. Guess what? I put my big girl panties on and got over myself.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 12:46am
post #21 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecakewitch 

... I don't get paid to bake like some of you guys do,(So the character cake you made here for your "client" http://cakecentral.com/t/768210/newbie-with-questions-i-hope-i-havent-ruined-my-cakes#post_7485911, and the Tardis cake you made here for a "client" http://cakecentral.com/t/768281/layering-tardis-birthday-cake#post_7486504, you're telling us you didn't get paid? 

Let's get back to the issue above. The OP states she is 15 and doesn't get paid to bake. But she has clients? And made a police box birthday cake based on Dr. Who? And look at this one http://cakecentral.com/t/768577/edible-image-printers#post_7490581 And everyone in her house is gluten intolerant? Read the entire thread   http://cakecentral.com/t/768829/anybody-looking-for-an-amzing-recipe

We are spiraling downward, folks...

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 1:19am
post #22 of 58

I remember now why I stopped visiting this site for so long.  Some people can be so mean.  Honey, if I had the time.  I'd make it and give you my opinion.  I have to agree with Kakeladi.  It sounds a lot like the WASK cake and it's a very good cake as far as using a cake mix.    

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 1:55am
post #23 of 58

As I see it, I could make the cake and say that it's wonderful.    And the OP could then make it--and based on different methods of measuring, mixing, or differences in ingredients, oven, handling, etc.--decide that it's awful.

Cripes, people on here will say that they've tried a Sylvia Weinstock or Rose Birnbaum recipe and rave about it and then others will try it and think it's dry, heavy, whatever.

There are just some things that you can't really do for someone else.  Sorry.

AZCouture Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 2:51am
post #24 of 58

A

Original message sent by maybenot

As I see it, I could make the cake and say that it's wonderful.    And the OP could then make it--and based on different methods of measuring, mixing, or differences in ingredients, oven, handling, etc.--decide that it's awful.

Cripes, people on here will say that they've tried a Sylvia Weinstock or Rose Birnbaum recipe and rave about it and then others will try it and think it's dry, heavy, whatever.

There are just some things that you can't really do for someone else.  Sorry.

Yep.

rdiazgreenberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdiazgreenberg Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 6:44am
post #25 of 58

I have baked many cakes and cupcakes using a recipe almost identical to the one you posted. I am pasting the recipe here so you can see that there are only minor differences. It is a great recipe and I bake it at 325 F until done, always wrapping my molds with baking strips so that it will cook slowly and evenly. If you have any other questions you can Private Message  me rgreen @ csusm.  edu

Sturdy Doctored Cake Mix 

1 box cake mix (Betty Crocker) I used DH Signature French vanilla

1 small box instant pudding in coordinating flavor (Jello 3.4 onz)

1 cup sour cream I have used part sour cream and part plain regular yogourt

2 whole large eggs or 3 medium eggs

½ cup water

1/3 cup OIL plus ½ Tablespoon

1 tsp vanilla

1tsp almond flavoring

Other flavoring as desired

Good combo is French vanilla mix with cheesecake instant pudding and 1 teaspoon vanilla

Instructions

Mix all ingredients in mixer at speed one or two scraping down sides until just incorporated. Batter will be very thick. Fill pans just a little over half full.

Bake at 325 until center bounces back and toothpick is clean.

Be careful not to underbake. This will take longer to bake than an undeoctored mix due to the added ingredients.

Note: White chocolate flavored pudding will make it white and vanilla will make it yellow.

I use raspberry jam between layers and cover it with this icing:

Indydebi’s Icing

• 1-1/3 cups Crisco Better to use 1 cup Crisco and 1/3 cup salted butter
    1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, depending on consistency needed
    3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (*)
    2-3 Tbsp Cream Bouquet, depending on your personal taste
    2 lbs powdered sugar

(*) A powdered whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods, usually found in the cake/sugar aisle in the grocery.

Instructions

There’s no wrong way to mix this. I usually mix all but the powdered sugar for a minute or two, then gradually add the sugar, but the only reason I did this was to avoid the “sugar-splash” factor. The longer the mixer runs, the smoother it gets. Sifting the powdered sugar before blending helps with smoothness but is not necessary.

Dream Whip is sold at Walmart in the same section as instant pudding and gelatine

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 4:30pm
post #26 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by alene 

I remember now why I stopped visiting this site for so long.  Some people can be so mean.   

I'm new here, but I didn't see anything mean. I saw honesty. I can't imagine spending my money to make a cake for someone in a different location to see if it works. I think someone else said "my mixing methods, my oven, etc." are not the same as someone elses, so why would my cake be a test of the recipe?

(and I am one who does not use boxed cake mixes)

cakelove2105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelove2105 Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 5:31pm
post #27 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastrypet 

I'm new here, but I didn't see anything mean. I saw honesty. I can't imagine spending my money to make a cake for someone in a different location to see if it works. I think someone else said "my mixing methods, my oven, etc." are not the same as someone elses, so why would my cake be a test of the recipe?

(and I am one who does not use boxed cake mixes)

so True! I do understand the fact of not having enough resources to try new recipes, but asking someone else (that you don't know and will never meet) to try them for you is just insane. People's responses to this thread might've sounded mean, but in my opinion, they are just reacting accordingly to the situation. in addition, if you are so poor, I don't see why you should be making cakes for free. Like I've said its just INSANE!

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 5:35pm
post #28 of 58

AOne could say you are mean for not making the time to help with this. Ridiculous, right?

mariabakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariabakes Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 7:48pm
post #29 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApplegumPam 

Sweetie it would have helped HAD you provided this information with your ORIGINAL post   - can you understand how people may have thought you were some demanding new caker who wanted somebody to do their 'homework'

The reason people react like this .....is that DEMANDING new caker is breeding like mice!

She did say please, and thank you.  Perhaps the poster could of put it in more details or said it differently, like " how does this recipe sounds to you?" Cake central has been a valuable resource for me in my baking quest. however, I find that  jennicake and ApplegumPam   came out like bullies and this shouldn't be.  We all should be here to uplift each other not breakdown...... I am just saying.

howsweet Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 8:08pm
post #30 of 58

ASaying how does this recipe sound isn't saying it differently, it's saying something else entirely.

Please and thank you have to do with being polite. I don't think anyone accused the OP of being impolite.

And there's that buzzword again. A bully is someone who gives a weaker person a hard time unprovoked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%