Advice To Work With Satin Ice

Decorating By yary2 Updated 4 Apr 2014 , 2:33pm by AZCouture

yary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yary2 Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 5

AHi! I'm going to use Satin Ice for a cake this coming week. There is a lot of humidity. I need help since Satin Ice get too sticky. Thank you

4 replies
MelodiaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelodiaCakes Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 5

I've had some trouble with Satin Ice and one of my problems I think was that I was rolling it too thin (I'm always trying to conserve fondant since it's so expensive!). When I concentrate on not rolling it too thin, it works better.

Also, I recently saw a tutorial (maybe everyone already does this- I'm new so it was new for me!) where the person rolled the fondant out on a mat, and then rather than just pick up the fondant to lay it on the cake, they pick up the entire mat, and then lay it on the cake, and then slowly remove the mat. I've tried this a few times and it works great- less fingerprints and bumps in the cake.

I'd just use a good dusting of powdered sugar/cornstarch before you roll it out to help combat the humidity.

Good luck- I'm excited to read others' answers on this topic because I've definitely had the same problem!

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 5

Hi!  I use Satin Ice on every cake!  I run my air conditioner to cut out any humidity and stickiness. 

This is my procedure I have used for years-

I set a timer for 10 to 20 minutes. 

I chill my butter cream iced and filled cake in the freezer for over 10 minutes to make my butter cream nice and firm. 

During that time, I put a trace of Crisco on my hands, knead the fondant for 5 minutes, until it is smooth. 

I roll my fondant on a large silicone mat.  Next, I get the cake from the freezer and set the cake near the mat and I spritz a mist of water on the cake with a spray bottle. 

Then I pick up the rolled out fondant on a large piece of 3" PVC (30 " long) pipe and drape it over the cake.  I smooth the top of the cake and down the sides and then I use plastic smoothers to get my sharp edges and cut the bottom with a pizza wheel.  This works better for me than flipping the mat.  But do what works best for you.

Your fondant is sticky because of the humidity.  Try to have an air conditioner on and you will be amazed at how nice your fondant will be. 

yary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yary2 Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 10:55am
post #4 of 5

AThank you! For the advice..

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 5

AYes! Here's what to do with it. Gather it up, toss in garbage, and make some MFF! Just kidding....that's the thing though, it works beautifully for some, and for some it's the absolute worst to work with. Never had much luck with it myself. :/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%