Gold Dragees - Use Or Don't Use.

Decorating By mrsg1111 Updated 3 Apr 2014 , 3:53pm by natt12321

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 10:00pm
post #1 of 7

I read many dated threads on whether or not to use gold dragees but wanted to repost this to get current views.  I am making a cake and was asked if I could incorporate gold accents.  I have a bottle of gold dragees that I've used for personal cakes.  When I served the cakes I have always removed them or they fell off.  Now I'm not sure if I should use them since I will not be there to serve the cake.  I could make small strands of beads with a mold break them up and airbrush them gold but if I don't have to go through the hassle I'd rather now knowing I have a bottle of dragees ready to be used.

Your thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!

:)

6 replies
natt12321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natt12321 Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 7

In Britain all gold and silver dragees I've seen of late are certainly edible. I don't understand why they would be classed inedible.... What are you guys making them out of?

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 12:20am
post #3 of 7

AIf I found myself in your shoes, I would ask myself this: are the gold dragees restricted for purchase in any way in my area? Am I, my lifestyle, my family in any way put in harms way by lawsuit if someone feels they are injured and sues? What does my local (paid) lawyer say? In today's unfortunate reality of so many people being litigation happy, their ship just came in. Not on my dime it doesn't.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 8:29am
post #4 of 7

Please think about putting them on removable decorations. 

Ralch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ralch Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 10:05am
post #5 of 7

AI thk uou should go ahead with the dragees. Anyone who chews one will know that they are sweets.

I think you should let whoever is going to share the cakes know that the dragees arent harmful but could do you a favour by removing the beads before sharing.

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 7

I appreciate the input. I have never tried them myself. I know they are banned in the state of California, and the label reads for decoration only. I think I am going to go the safe route and make them out of fondant but just for curiosity I am going to call the company or manufacturer to find out why.

Thanks again for the input!!! 

natt12321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natt12321 Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 7

I'd be interested to know the answer cos the whole inedible in the US thing kind of perplexes me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%