How To Make Street Signs With Post Out Of Fondant

Decorating By chef2b Updated 5 Apr 2014 , 3:16pm by chef2b

chef2b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chef2b Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 9

AHi. I am attempting to make a Manhattan street sign with post out of fondant but I can't figure out how to get the street name signs to stay on the post. Can anyone help? Thanks so much.

8 replies
howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 9

AIf I understand the question, tylose glue, royal icing or melted chocolate would all work. Plain water can work also. Less is more, use too much and it will just stay wet. Use just the tiniest about to make the two pieces tacky and they will meld together

chef2b Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 9

AThank you so much howsweet! I tried water but I think the street signs are too heavy (or maybe they weren't dry enough yet) and they just wouldn't hold to the pole. They kept falling off. I'll let the signs dry further then try one of the other suggestions you made. I appreciate your help!

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 1:16am
post #4 of 9

This may be too late, but I always use melted candy melts for something that needs to dry quickly. HTH.

sugarpuppet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarpuppet Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 1:53am
post #5 of 9

If it's a bigger piece, don't roll the fondant so thin that you can feel either side of the lollipop stick/skewer/wire/whatever you use to stick in the cake to hold it up. I make the shape of the item and wait just a few minutes so that it's not so malleable that I'll ruint the shape but also won't crack when I put a skewer in it. Then dip a skewer in water and tap off the excess. carefully stick it in as far as it will go without ruining the design. Leave it at least over night (I like to make pieces like this up to a week in advance so they're extra sturdy) on a piece of parchment paper or something it won't bind to. If you don't have that sort of time, the candy melts instead of water is good advice and a fridge will help the chocolate and fondant set up quicker.

chef2b Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 2:36am
post #6 of 9

AThank you...great idea!

chef2b Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 2:38am
post #7 of 9

AThank you both! Very helpful!

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 3:00am
post #8 of 9

ACan you make the posts out of some sort of pasta for some stability?

chef2b Posted 5 Apr 2014 , 3:16pm
post #9 of 9

AI like the pasta idea too....I will try that next time. I really appreciate everyone's help. I wound up covering a dowel with fondant for the pole and then stuck a small wooden coffee stirrer through the two street name signs, let them dry completely and stuck it to the pole with water and a little extra fondant on the back.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%