Is $150 A Reasonable Price For This Cake? Feedback Will Be Very Helpful.

Business By Cakecrazy25 Updated 7 Apr 2014 , 4:22pm by Cakecrazy25

Cakecrazy25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakecrazy25 Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 32

I recently made this cake and I wanted to know if $150 was a fair price? Cream cheese frosting in and out, 3 layers of yellow cake from scratch, 2 tier, decorations, delivery and set up included. 

31 replies
cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 32

How many people is that cake supposed to serve?

Cakecrazy25 Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 32

Hi cakesbycathy... it was used as a representative cake. It feed a little over 50 people. 10 inch and 6 inch. My slices are long.

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 32

I think that is very reasonable..espeically with the delivery and set up your offering. Personally I think you could have charged more :-)

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 32

I charge $3 per serving so I would also have charged $150.

Delivery and set up would have been extra

Cakecrazy25 Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 32

Gingerlocks...whew sigh of relief.... thank you!!! 

This cake I did for my aunt at a reduced price. I posted it on my social network and someone asked for the same cake and I quoted $150. I have yet to hear back from her, and was worried if she thought I was too high. I also told her we could discuss alternative price points.

I think you are right. After everything is said and down I come away making 20 dollars.....MAYBE. I wanted to get my name out there and create a buzz within my social circle. I wonder if she will contact me back. 

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 32

Well I wouldn't take it badly if she never gets back to you..many people don't realise the cost of custm "high end" cakes and any price that isn't Wal-Marts price is too high. Its a beautiful cake ;)

Cakecrazy25 Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 5:38pm
post #8 of 32

Thank you so much Gingerlocks. That means a lot to me. Also, thank you ladies for taking the time to give me feedback!

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 32

AAre those roses made by hand? If so the price Would have gone way up. But I think that's a reasonable price...although it's really hard to say not knowing the market you live in.

Cakecrazy25 Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 6:00pm
post #10 of 32

AHi Morganchampagne. This is only my third cake. I have yet to try sugar art or fondant. Sad to say but the flowers are expensive silk ones. Yikes. I must fake it until I make it. However my ingredients are the highest quality supplies that I have available to me. I'm located in Maryland by the way. I'm taking a charm city class this week to obtain fondant skills.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 6:16pm
post #11 of 32

AIf my base price was $3 then it would be $150 plus the price of the roses, topper and whatever that trim is. If you get the topper at wholesale, then you mark the price up to retail.

Cakecrazy25 Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 6:22pm
post #12 of 32

A

Original message sent by howsweet

If my base price was $3 then it would be $150 plus the price of the roses, topper and whatever that trim is. If you get the topper at wholesale, then you mark the price up to retail.

Wow thanks. I never thought to break it down like that. My next quote I will factor that in. I hate for people to think I'm taking them for a ride but stuff cost, especially fancy things Lol. What wholesale company do you recommend?

howsweet Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 6:29pm
post #13 of 32

AI've never used those, so I'm not sure. I think bakery crafts sells something like those. Maybe ck products? You can also provide links to where the bride can shop on her own or have custom ones made. If the bride buys them you'll need to make sure they're the right size and have them shipped to your address. When ordering wholesale, there's usually a minimum order, so you might have to buy some other supplies. I don't think bakery crafts has a minimum, but if you order over a certain amount you get free shipping.

Cakecrazy25 Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 6:45pm
post #14 of 32

Okay. I'll check it out. Thank you

queenfa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenfa Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 6:47pm
post #15 of 32

A

Original message sent by Cakecrazy25

Hi Morganchampagne. This is only my third cake. I have yet to try sugar art or fondant. Sad to say but the flowers are expensive silk ones. Yikes. I must fake it until I make it. However my ingredients are the highest quality supplies that I have available to me. I'm located in Maryland by the way. I'm taking a charm city class this week to obtain fondant skills.

I live in Maryland and I wouldn't make that cake for less than $200.00, satin flower or not. For me, once it's tiered, price increases, and with delivery and set up? Cost more. I guess it's okay if you are still trying to attract customers.

Cakecrazy25 Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 7:02pm
post #16 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by queenfa 

I live in Maryland and I wouldn't make that cake for less than $200.00, satin flower or not. For me, once it's tiered, price increases, and with delivery and set up? Cost more. I guess it's okay if you are still trying to attract customers.

Queenfa, I agree with 200 dollars or else you're not turning a profit. I quoted the price I did because this client is somewhat in my social circle and could lead me to more customers, who I then would charge more. 

Doing cakes for people you are acquainted with it soo tricky. That is why i'm trying so hard to get my decorating skills up and my flavor profiles spot on so there will be no question why I charge what I do. This is a fun field but it is also hard. 

queenfa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenfa Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 7:19pm
post #17 of 32

A;-D;-D:smile: Agree totally

howsweet Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 7:25pm
post #18 of 32

AI would rather be shot in the face than sell a cake to an acquaintance. I sold a cake to a neighbor last weekend and the customer was fine, but his sister in law who picked up the cake was another story. If she convinces everyone in a 3 mile radius never to buy cake from me, that will be just fine! Hahaha

Once I sold a cake to a neighbor on the street behind me and she never knew it. I had someone else deliver so she wouldn't recognize me if I ran into her. Was that evil?

Cakecrazy25 Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 7:28pm
post #19 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 

I would rather be shot in the face than sell a cake to an acquaintance. I sold a cake to a neighbor last weekend and the customer was fine, but his sister in law who picked up the cake was another story. If she convinces everyone in a 3 mile radius never to buy cake from me, that will be just fine! Hahaha

Once I sold a cake to a neighbor on the street behind me and she never knew it. I had someone else deliver so she wouldn't recognize me if I ran into her. Was that evil?

baahahahah :D. Too funny!!!

Sparklekat6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklekat6 Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 7:45pm
post #20 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 

I would rather be shot in the face than sell a cake to an acquaintance. 

OMG, I'm dying to figure out how to put this in picture form on the Wisdom From Cake Central Members post..... 

KarenK55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenK55 Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 7:46pm
post #21 of 32

Hi Cakecrazy25,  Stick to your guns, do not go any lower. Like Queenfa stated you need to start increasing your price when it comes to adding additional layers & tiers. People want a great looking cake, they need to spend the money.  There are definitely alot of customers out there that will pay for a great looking and a great tasting cake.  I know you are trying to build up your customers, but don't let your hard work not pay off.  You are worth every penny, nickle, dime and dollar.  Your cake is beautiful by the way. Don't sell yourself short, which I have heard over the past year from all the great bakers on this site have stated.  Wish you well in your new career.

FoxtailBakeshop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FoxtailBakeshop Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 7:56pm
post #22 of 32

I would of charged $200 with delivery and set up included.

Cakecrazy25 Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 8:00pm
post #23 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenK55 

Hi Cakecrazy25,  Stick to your guns, do not go any lower. Like Queenfa stated you need to start increasing your price when it comes to adding additional layers & tiers. People want a great looking cake, they need to spend the money.  There are definitely alot of customers out there that will pay for a great looking and a great tasting cake.  I know you are trying to build up your customers, but don't let your hard work not pay off.  You are worth every penny, nickle, dime and dollar.  Your cake is beautiful by the way. Don't sell yourself short, which I have heard over the past year from all the great bakers on this site have stated.  Wish you well in your new career.

Karenk55 that is so kind and gracious of you to say, thank you so much for those encouraging words!!! I really need to print this thread out and refer to it when i'm up at 4 o clock in the morning making batches of frosting almost wanting to give up. Baking has always been my dream since I was a little girl. It feels so surreal that the dream may come true. 

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 8:48pm
post #24 of 32

Those are some impressive silk flowers!

TheItalianBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheItalianBaker Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 2:05pm
post #25 of 32

$180 plus the roses and the decoration around.

PLUS delivery (depending on the miles) and setting ($15).

shaleha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaleha Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 11:28pm
post #26 of 32

Quote: Today I m doing 2 tiers wedding cake . Both tiers are of 3 layers chocolate cake  BC iced and covered with fondant. Very simple design with white and pink color charging at $180 w/o delivery. There are others who's charging more. Perhaps you should charge more cos you are using cream cheese, flowers and alphabets. Does the amount $150 include delivery?  Nice cake there ! :)

Originally Posted by Cakecrazy25 

I recently made this cake and I wanted to know if $150 was a fair price? Cream cheese frosting in and out, 3 layers of yellow cake from scratch, 2 tier, decorations, delivery and set up included. 

Cakecrazy25 Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 11:37pm
post #27 of 32

AShaleha, thank you so much. Yes it would include delivery. I see now that I should have quoted a higher price. I knew I wouldn't make money off of this order. I just wanted to get my work out there and in peoples mouths. The client has yet to reply but I'm not worried about it too much. I guess What is meant for me will be for me.:)

shaleha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaleha Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 11:39pm
post #28 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarenK55 

I agree totally with you KarenK55. Its all the hard work we do , people don't know. I woke up 3.45 am today to get my BC frosted cake out of fridge back to room temperature so I can cover them with fondant later . Customer coming to collect in the evening. We are home bakers and we have pride with our cakes and doing our very best to make the cake look like any other professional cake shop does. Sometimes I don't understand when people go to those professional bake shop charging pretty high for simple cake and agree to the price w/o questioning  but when home baker does that , people start to doubt and think whether to make a deal or not. That is sad :(

howsweet Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 11:46pm
post #29 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaleha 

Sometimes I don't understand when people go to those professional bake shop charging pretty high for simple cake and agree to the price w/o questioning  but when home baker does that , people start to doubt and think whether to make a deal or not. That is sad :(

If all home bakers charged appropriately the public would learn pretty fast.

Cakecrazy25 Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 3:08pm
post #30 of 32

So true, I couldn't agree more!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%