How Much Highlighter Dust Do I Need?

Decorating By JulieM Updated 1 Apr 2014 , 6:30pm by kellyk1234

JulieM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieM Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 4

Has anyone out there covered a cake in highlighter dust?  I have an order for a three tier gold cake.  The tiers will be 12", 8" and 4".  I want to paint the cake in gold and I need it to be a shiny gold.  How much highlighter dust (planning to mix with alchohol) will I need?  

Thanks in advance for your help!  :smile:

3 replies
kellyk1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyk1234 Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 4

AI'm not sure exactly how much you will need, all I know is you'll need A LOT, but last time(the first time) I used gold highlighter dust and mixed with vodka for painting, it didn't mix very well and went on very streaky. I then mixed it with lemon oil, but orange or any other oils work too, and I didn't need any more then 2 coats.

If you look in my pictures at the football cake, I painted the numbers with gold highlighter and I probably used about 1/3 of the little 3g container.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 4

ADo they plan to remove the fondant before cutting the cake? Gold highlighter dust is not edible or even non toxic.

kellyk1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyk1234 Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 4

AHave you considered using edible gold leaf? It is expensive but so will the gold highlighter with the amount that you'll need.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%