Chocolate Ganache Dirty Icing

Decorating By grace24 Updated 29 Mar 2014 , 2:21pm by kellyk1234

grace24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grace24 Posted 28 Mar 2014 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 9

so i love the chocolate ganache dirty icing under fondant method..love.love..but ive noticed dark chocolate stiffens up way harder..well duh..lol and the white one well is not hard enough :/ i would love to use the dark choc. for all my cakes but thatd look a little funky lol so is there any way the white can become stiffer....or maybe i can mix half and half?...would that be weird?..lol what do yal think or suggest??..TIA :)

8 replies
TheNerdyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheNerdyBaker Posted 28 Mar 2014 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 9

What are your ganache ratios?

grace24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grace24 Posted 28 Mar 2014 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 9

i have no idea lol, i use the wilton candy melts

TheNerdyBaker Posted 28 Mar 2014 , 8:30pm
post #4 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by grace24 

i have no idea lol, i use the wilton candy melts

Well that's your first problem right there XD

Here is some educational material.  There are 3 parts to this series, so be sure to watch them all.

Justalittlesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justalittlesugar Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 12:26am
post #5 of 9

AQuick question for the baking pros... Have you ever covered a cake with chocolate mousse? I made a chocolate mousse cake and was thinking of covering it with mousse and chocolate glaze. Any tips or pointers? And can you tell me at what temp should my glaze be so that my mousse doesn't melt or would you rather suggest do a ganache glaze over the mousse. Looking forward to hearing back. Thank you

kellyk1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyk1234 Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 1:02am
post #6 of 9

I'm no ganache expert but I do know your chocolate has to have cocoa butter in it and Wilton candy melts are not real chocolate. For white chocolate, most of the chips do not have cocoa butter in it. If you are looking for "cheap" chocolate then I would suggest Baker's or Ghirardelli baking bars that can be found at most local grocery stores (I have found them to be cheapest at Wal-mart.) Also, that youtube video is very very helpful! 

Here's another video you may find useful. It's kinda long but worth the watch:http://www.threelittleblackbirds.com/2012/10/simply-ganache-a-tutorial/

:)

kellyk1234 Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 1:05am
post #7 of 9

OH AND your heavy cream needs to be of high fat content. I use Borden brand which has 36% and I don't remember what brand, but I found 40% fat heavy cream at Target.  I think the 3 part youtube video explains that though.

TheNerdyBaker Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 10:13am
post #8 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellyk1234 

Here's another video you may find useful. It's kinda long but worth the watch:http://www.threelittleblackbirds.com/2012/10/simply-ganache-a-tutorial/

:)

That video was great!  I'm a little sad she didn't continue making tutorials.  She really had a knack for it.

kellyk1234 Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 2:21pm
post #9 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNerdyBaker 

That video was great!  I'm a little sad she didn't continue making tutorials.  She really had a knack for it.

I know!! I was so excited for the fondant tutorial that she said at the end of the video she was going to do next but never did!  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%