Frozen Wedding Cake

Decorating By luro81 Updated 31 Mar 2014 , 12:50am by enga

luro81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luro81 Posted 28 Mar 2014 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 29

AHi,

I want to use my wedding cake as my daughters christening cake.

It has been frozen for 5yrs, firstly do you think it will be ok to serve? If so should I 'feed' it and then decorate it?

Thanks for your help

X

28 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 28 Mar 2014 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by luro81 

should I 'feed' it and then decorate it?

What an interesting idea. But your process has me confused. Please explain more.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 28 Mar 2014 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 29

Sorry. Forgot the smiley face.    :roll:

Ellie33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie33 Posted 28 Mar 2014 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 29

A

Original message sent by luro81

Hi,

It has been frozen for 5yrs, firstly do you think it will be ok to serve? If so should I 'feed' it and then decorate it?

Thanks for your help

X

5 years??!!!!! Are you sure it's safe to eat?

TheNerdyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheNerdyBaker Posted 28 Mar 2014 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 29

For me personally, I have always been a little wigged out by the whole "freeze the cake" tradition.

I think it is better for absolutely everyone involved to just hit up a local bakery in your area and have them recreate your cake.

luro81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luro81 Posted 28 Mar 2014 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 29

ABy feeding it I mean piercing the cake with a skewer and splashing alcohol usually either brandy or rum on it.

I was thinking of doing this as after being frozen all this time I don't want it to be dry.

X

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 28 Mar 2014 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 29

Quote:

If so should I 'feed' it and then decorate it?

X

I don't understand what this mean.  Could you explain?

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 28 Mar 2014 , 7:32pm
post #8 of 29

Quote:

Hi,

Thanks for your help

X

that sound all sorts of wrong. ewww gross.

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 28 Mar 2014 , 7:51pm
post #9 of 29

I think it's a fruit cake. Generally if you wrap it and store it in the fridge, unwrapping and soaking in rum and rewrapping every few months it can last quite awhile

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 12:41am
post #10 of 29

Fruit cakes can last for up to year out of the freezer with the wrapping and feeding method but the thought of a frozen five year old cake sounds gross.

rubybakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rubybakes Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 10:05pm
post #11 of 29

AHave to say tasted my friends brothers wedding cake which was fruit cake, marzipan and royal icing and its was that delicious we were fighting over it! It had been wrapped and plonked in the deep freeze seven years previously and basically left there. We remembered it had been thrown in years ago and pulled it out as an experiment after a call from a customer asking about keeping fruitcake. Not sure I would advocate re icing and serving to the masses,but def one of the best cakes I've tasted and still here to tell the tale!

enga Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 10:22pm
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubybakes 

Have to say tasted my friends brothers wedding cake which was fruit cake, marzipan and royal icing and its was that delicious we were fighting over it! It had been wrapped and plonked in the deep freeze seven years previously and basically left there. We remembered it had been thrown in years ago and pulled it out as an experiment after a call from a customer asking about keeping fruitcake. Not sure I would advocate re icing and serving to the masses,but def one of the best cakes I've tasted and still here to tell the tale!

I never tasted aged fruit cake but I have tasted Jamaican "Black" cake which is similar except you soak the fruit in wine and rum for a year. My eyes rolled to the back of my head while eating it because it was so good! 

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 7:29am
post #13 of 29

fruit cake can be frozen for a few years. If its frozen with the fondant and marzipan intact, let it thaw. Then remove the icing completely. Test a small portion from the bottom to check if its ok. You can then drizzle some brandy over it and then decorate it. I would be sure to test a portion first. I've heard of fruit cakes that's gone sour in the freezer before.

queenfa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenfa Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 11:03am
post #14 of 29

A

Original message sent by TheNerdyBaker

For me personally, I have always been a little wigged out by the whole "freeze the cake" tradition.

I think it is better for absolutely everyone involved to just hit up a local bakery in your area and have them recreate your cake.

Yep!

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 12:22pm
post #15 of 29

I wouldn`t eat it. 5 years!!!!

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 12:37pm
post #16 of 29

I have redecorated a three year wedding cake before - you have to remove all the icing and fondant before storage though.  The cake was fine.  It is the tradition to keep the top tier to use for the Christening but that doesn't happen so often any more.   I have not got a clue if 5 years is OK but I personally think it could be a little long.  It's also not going to be easy to check either.  Feeding a fruit cake is normal and I would definitely feed it after defrosting - however, it might be a good idea to have something on standby in case it has degraded in storage.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 12:54pm
post #17 of 29

luro81, I would go on to the Brits thread and ask this question.  They are more likely to know as they make fruit cakes regularly and have for years.  From what I can gather the Yanks have very little experience in this type of cake, shown by the fact that they don't even know what 'feeding a cake' means.  And before you all get on your high horses, this is not meant to be insulting, just pointing to where more experienced answers might come from.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 1:33pm
post #18 of 29

I'm a Brit (expat) and all I can say is that fruit cake - or any cake for that matter - never lasted more than 5 days in our house never mind 5 years:D

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 1:39pm
post #19 of 29

AI'm from the UK, so is Dayscakes. If it looks ok, smells ok and tastes ok, it's ok. Provided it's been well wrapped I can't see a problem. Strip the marzipan and icing off it, feed it (I like brandy best), redecorate, enjoy!

natt12321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natt12321 Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 1:43pm
post #20 of 29

In theory as it's been frozen the whole time it is still safe to eat, not sure how the quality will have been affected by the long period of freezing though!

I agree with DaysCakes that it should be fed after defrosting and I would definitely also have stand by option!

enga Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 5:17pm
post #21 of 29

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY ALL YOU UK BAKERS!!!!!!!!

maisie73 Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 5:31pm
post #22 of 29

AAww thanks enga. :-)

enga Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 5:40pm
post #23 of 29

You guys deserve it. I was reading the UK thread this weekend (well, I read all of it,lol), I had some great laughs. I enjoyed it immensely. All the nice cake pics, you guys are some pretty busy cakers :wink: 

maisie73 Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 7:17pm
post #24 of 29

AI bet you think we're mental don't you?! It's a great thread, they're lovely girls.

enga Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 7:23pm
post #25 of 29

No, not at all, makes me wish I lived in the UK, lol. You guys are such a friendly bunch, love the easy going banter between you all.

enga Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 7:29pm
post #26 of 29

I think nannycook is amazing, this had me in stitches

"I've even made truffles with the leftovers, for crumbcoating its amazing, or you can get a really big spoon and sit down for half hr on your own."

maisie73 Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 8:29pm
post #27 of 29

AHaha! Haven't read that yet, she's a star, I'lltell her she's got a fan!

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 8:59pm
post #28 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by enga 

Thank you enga!  Much cake was had by all - come by and visit our UK thread more often! 

Kathy

enga Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 12:50am
post #29 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaysCakes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by enga 

Thank you enga!  Much cake was had by all - come by and visit our UK thread more often! 

Kathy

Thanks Kathy, I will :wink:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%