Fondant Ruffle Rose Cake

Decorating By rydilly Updated 8 May 2014 , 2:42pm by caketherapy

rydilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rydilly Posted 27 Mar 2014 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 12

I am going to be making a fondant ruffled rose cake for a wedding.   I have never done one before.

I have done a practice one.

Does anyone know how wide to cut the strips to make the rose?

Any help would be appreciated

11 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Mar 2014 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 12

AYou mean one that has ruffles made from rose petals? Or a ruffle that wraps up to look like a rose?

rydilly Posted 28 Mar 2014 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 12

A strip of fondant that you wrap around to make it look like a big rose

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 10:36am
post #4 of 12

AFor that it would depend on how big you want the rose to be. The larger the diameter of the rose, the wider the outer strip should be. If it's something that's going to be really wide you can also build it on a disc of fondant or gumpaste to hold it securely.

If it's a ruffle for the side of the cake, I wouldn't make it more than about a half an inch to 3/4" wide or it will be floppy.

rydilly Posted 29 Mar 2014 , 11:04pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you      I will try 1/2 ".   I think that will work

ymmat77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ymmat77 Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 12:33pm
post #6 of 12

I made the attached cake "rosettes" by cutting a strip of 50/50 fondant and gumpaste in long strips about 1 1/2 wide.  Then I folded strips in half lengthwise so they were a bit thicker.  Then I rolled them around each other and just kept going and going.  Working from the middle to the out.  I did this on the cake.  I did not make them ahead of time and attach later because I wanted them to curve to the side of cake.  Let me know if you have any questions.  Hope this is what you meant?

rydilly Posted 30 Mar 2014 , 10:47pm
post #7 of 12

beautiful cake and yes that is what I meant.    thank you for the info   I am going to try that

tamsham Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamsham Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 2:37pm
post #8 of 12

ADoes anyone know if this type ruffled rosettes will stick to buttercream or does the cake have to be covered in fondant to stick?

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 3:15pm
post #9 of 12

I just posted a mini tutorial on making these ruffle roses this morning.  They stuck to buttercream just fine for me, but my buttercream doesn't crust, so your mileage may vary.

http://cupadeecakes.blogspot.com/2014/04/ruffle-ribbon-rose-tutorial.html

ymmat77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ymmat77 Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 6:57pm
post #10 of 12

Personally, I would only use fondant as the base.  I have had heavy flowers peel off the side of a cake before.

tamsham Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamsham Posted 29 Apr 2014 , 7:21pm
post #11 of 12

AThank you guys! I think for my first I will stick with covering with fondant. My buttercream crusts and I would hate for my brides pretty cake to slide apart on the table. Thank you both so much! :)

caketherapy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caketherapy Posted 8 May 2014 , 2:42pm
post #12 of 12

Have you done the cake yet? I want to try this on a cake at the end of May. I read to use a pasta roller if you have one. I have a roller machine I got from Michaels that is actually for Clay for around $20 I think.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%