Monster Cake Price!

Business By ShelbySmith Updated 25 Mar 2014 , 3:26pm by howsweet

ShelbySmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelbySmith Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 4:09am
post #1 of 9

ALooking at this cake, what would you charge for it? All fondant. I have a client who wants it and it looks like a lot of detail!! I know it's going to be up there, I just wanted to give this customer an accurate price! Champagne taste on a beer budget I am thinking ;) [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3210528/width/350/height/700[/IMG] Thanks in advance!

8 replies
BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 9

Well, that's SUPER adorable.  I would make the tiers taller and try to get a better edge...not necessarily sharp but not sooooooo rounded down!

You've been a member for a year....do you get on often?  Just asking because if you do get on often, you'd know that "pricing" questions are a hot-button issue.  No one can tell you what to charge for your area.

Put "pricing a cake" in the search bar and prepare to read, read, and read some more.

I would charge A LOT for that cake.  All fondant, 7 figures at $25-30/ea, a HUGE amount of servings for a BIRTHDAY!

Get more details from the customer (how many servings, flavors, fillings, etc.).  See if you can get a budget out of her...tell her that just for the figures, it's XX dollars and is she prepared to pay for a fondant cake on top of it? 

Many on here would probably charge upwards of $1000 dollars for THAT cake!  That's a lot of work.

Assuming that those tiers are 6, 10 & 14 it would serve 128, according to my chart, I wouldn't charge less than $805 plus setup & delivery - no, they wouldn't be picking it up themselves.  Mine would be taller (those tiers are pretty squat and look like they're about ready to bust out the sides), though.  That's about $6.30/serving.

I just LOVE those monsters!

Good luck!  And remember, there are ways to modify it.  It can be done in buttercream.  The monsters could be hand-sketched on flat gumpaste, etc.

Good luck!  And don't be surprised if no one else comments. 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 9

ABees pretty much summed it up. I don't have anything to add.

ShelbySmith Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 9

AThank y'all! I didn't miss the memo about the thread with cake pricing so thanks for that as well. As you can tell, I do not get on often! Just a little laugh for y'all.... She wants the cake to feed 20 people :)

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 9

HAHAHA!  Of course, she does!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 9

A

Original message sent by ShelbySmith

Looking at this cake, what would you charge for it? All fondant.

I have inquiries asking for price quotes on a cake photos with no other info all the time, but I'm at a loss why anyone in the business would ask people to quote out a cake without doing saying how many servings are needed. There's no way to tell how big that cake was.

But if I were to guess, I'd say that cake's a lot smaller than a 6-10-14 because the only thing in that photo that gives a size reference is those number 4's. The only cutters I know of shaped like that are very small. But maybe there are some cutters I don't know about. It doesn't matter. My point is no one knows the size of that cake just from the photo, yet we're laughing at the customer for thinking it might be a small cake?? Wth?

If someone sent me that photo and wanted 20 servings, I'd ask her if a two tier cake would work and redesign it as 5-7. I don't see the big deal.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 3:11pm
post #7 of 9

AYep, a 5 and a 7. I do little cakes like that often. I have a feeling those are more accurate serving counts than a lot of the cakes you see around. I think there are a lot of people giving away free cake.

Anyways, so a little two tier, small figures, big price. Smaller is costlier in terms of labor, usually.

ShelbySmith Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 3:15pm
post #8 of 9

ASomeone who has never touched a cake can probably tell that this doesn't feed 20 people, but way more! The customer wanted this exact cake priced out. I find it funny because people have no clue what they ask for when they contact cake decorators. She wants all fondant, with fondant figures, to feed 20 people but the size to look like the pic! I replied with "what is your budget, because this cake is extremely detailed" and she never replied. People just have no idea and I blame Pinterest for all this commotion!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 3:26pm
post #9 of 9

That cake could plausibly be about 30 servings. That could be a two layer 8 inch on the bottom. Intuitively, it does look like a like more, but I have eight number cutter sets and those number fours are shaped exactly like the fours in small Wilton set.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%