Very Unhappy Customers

Lounge By CLW Updated 4 Apr 2014 , 2:56pm by Crazy-Gray

CLW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CLW Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 26

This makes me so want to quit!!! I had 8 large orders this weekend. Two of the orders  were for friends ( both are new customers) at separate parties. The first order, I delivered yesterday at 1:00 for the party at 3:00. The customer actually had three people taste while I was there and they seemed very pleased with the taste and design.

So then I deliver to the second friend whose party was today. She was VERY unhappy with the design   ( which she chose off Pinterest and I duplicated exactly with different colors) and said some scathing things to me via text. after I left. When I offered to make it right, she told me I could talk to her mother

( whom I've never met, spoken to nor placed the order I might add)  So I went to her mother's house to speak with her and the father came out and said "He was all caught up in this mess". So I apologized for their dissatisfaction and went on my way. I figured if neither had the guts to come out and face me then I didn't owe them an apology of discussion.I was very upset because in 7 years I've never ever had even one complaint!

If I don't hear from a customer, I always check with them to make sure they were happy.so I decided I'd follow up with the first customer later last night to make sure she was happy. I called and texted but got no response. Well, just now I received a horrible text message stating how NOT ONE person at the party liked the cake, cupcakes, or my work. How some cupcakes were dry and some were almost too moist and how one color icing was too sweet and one was ok. I told her that I certainly couldn't figure that out since the icing and the cakes were made from the same batches on the same day with the exact same ingredients, mixer and oven. The only difference was a few drops of food colorings. I also told her that she, her husband and her dad seemed pleased while I was there. She wrote back and said SHE was happy but NOBODY else was. This was a party for a 15 year old and while I was delivering, there were about 10 kids under age 8-9 running around. I'm so sure that these kids didn't complain about a cupcake! I later went on facebook where she had posted pics of the party and everyone crowded around the cake display. This customer also told me that had had 32 people contact her about making her cake and she chose me and so wished you hadn't. I asked why she did choose me and the words from her mouth were " Everyone she had mentioned my name to had said she'd be very happy".

I believe these two friends went to each other's parties and are feeding off each other for some reason. Maybe to get some of their money back. Who knows?

Anyhow, I'm feeling so down today! One slap in the face hurt but now 2!

25 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 26

AI'd quit alright, quit taking orders from people like that!

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 26

AThey don't sound like friends to me. A friend wouldn't ***** behind your back. A friend would confront you to your face and TACTFULLY tell you that there were issues with the cake and not be childish (and cowardly) to get family to face their battles. What are they 15?

Danilou Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 11:58pm
post #4 of 26

ACan we see photos??

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 12:09am
post #5 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danilou 

They don't sound like friends to me. A friend wouldn't ***** behind your back. A friend would confront you to your face and TACTFULLY tell you that there were issues with the cake and not be childish (and cowardly) to get family to face their battles. What are they 15?

I think by friends, she meant that the people who placed orders were friends of each other not her...Unless i misunderstood....Either way that stinks, but sounds like a conspiracy for free cake!

Danilou Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 12:16am
post #6 of 26

AAhhh...you're probably right! Smells like a conspiracy!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 12:38am
post #7 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLW 

"......... I had 8 large orders this weekend....."

CLW: sounds like you have a successful business and you are not new to cakes.;-D;-D;-D

You had 6 decent customers, and 2 flakes -  Brush off the flakes.

Now that you've gotten that out of your system, fill your thoughts remembering your experiences with the six good people who gave you 'large' orders.  Turn your focus on the positive. Sounds like they will be your customers in the future as well as bring you other paying customers in the future.

Best Wishes,

mb

CLW Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 5:29am
post #8 of 26

I guess I didn't explain quite right. They are friends with 

each other, not me. 

CLW Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 6:16am
post #9 of 26

Thank you MBalaska! I so needed to hear and be reminded of that. I AM successful and have more than I want to do. LOL

Danilou, I'm trying to upload the photos from my Iphone to  my Mac to CC. Having issues getting them off my Iphone to the MAC. It's after 2:00 am here in Ga. so I'll try tomorrow. I did upload some photos from my MAC tonight. These were pleased customers.

Thank you for your encouragement!!! As my niece tole me today, " You can't fix stupid as there aren't any untraining workshops for that and these people obviously don't have good taste and eyesight. LOL

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 8:44am
post #10 of 26

I think there's an old saying "with friends like these, who needs enemies".  What's wrong with people?  They sound awful.  Chin up.  I am sure you did a perfectly decent job.  Don't let them affect you.

CLW Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 11:55am
post #11 of 26

I'm a teacher also and absolutely hate it when I incorrectly spell a word as in,,,,,,,,,,,, As my niece tole me today.  Told,told,told,told. LOL

CLW Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 11:56am
post #12 of 26

DaysCakes, thanks for your uplifting. These aren't friends of mine. They are friends with each other. They were new customers of mine but no longer that either. LOL

CLW Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 12:00pm
post #13 of 26

The one who complained the most, just sent me a message stating that she doesn't badmouth anyone so if she is asked, she will tell them that her order was fine. Gimme a break!!!! Geez! If you tell them that, then you are telling the truth and you know it!!!

natt12321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natt12321 Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 12:19pm
post #14 of 26

A

Original message sent by CLW

The one who complained the most, just sent me a message stating that she doesn't badmouth anyone so if she is asked, she will tell them that her order was fine. Gimme a break!!!! Geez! If you tell them that, then you are telling the truth and you know it!!!

Definite free cake conspiracy!

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 12:33pm
post #15 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLW 

Just curious but do you ask your customers who referred them to you?  It might save you a heap of trouble.  You could always be "busy" if you find out that they are friends of these people.

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 1:46pm
post #16 of 26

AHi CLW, just wanted to let you know you can upload photos to CC directly from your Iphone. Just above the reply box there are four icons, the third is a photo, click on it and follow the instructions. I only discovered this the other day, up 'til then I thought I had to get my laptop out. :-)

rosemary25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosemary25 Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 12:44pm
post #17 of 26

lol.. You shouldn't feel down for such behavior of some immature folks..  Just quit taking orders from them.. :)

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 12:57pm
post #18 of 26

Geez....I'm late in joining this convo....as others have said, def sounds like a free cake conspiracy!  FYI, I always tell my customers that adding color, especially for dark colors, may change the flavor of the icing - may get a bit bitter the more coloring you add.

Also, make sure you are not taking on too much and are able to dedicate the appropriate time to each cake with no skimping.  Although a replicated design from Pinterest was what she wanted!?!

I couldn't even breathe knowing I had 8 orders to deal with!

But it does sound like you have a great customer base....move on from these losers and keep your chin up!

And, collectively, the CC community may ask you to raise your prices if you are THAT busy...obviously you are doing something right. 

Less work for more money!  Less work for more money! (repeat and repeat often)

CLW Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 8:51pm
post #19 of 26

AI do DaysCakes. I ask who referred them as well as have they ever tasted one of my cakes. These two were referred to me by a longtime customer.

CLW Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 9:05pm
post #20 of 26

AThanks BeesKnees! I really do stay very busy. I work in a very large school system and my name gets around. I bake every night.Thursday and Friday afternoons and evenings are devoted to decorating. Sometimes Saturday mornings too. Thank goodness that I have a very understanding husband and my children are 22 and 28 or I wouldn't be able to do this.

The colors added were hot pink and black. The black color I use doesn't affect the taste. If any color were going to affect it, it would certainly be the black. She actually said the black were the best tasting and the pink were too sweet. I sampled each batch and if you closed your eyes, you couldn't tell the difference. I had some leftover frosting and had my hubby and sons tasted. They couldn't tell either.

I don't skimp with time either. I take my time with each and every order. I want every customer happy.

I do believe I am doing something right. My husband works about 60 miles away in a slightly larger town and he takes orders for me as well. So the 8 orders were between 2 towns. My orders are comparable with other bakers in a 50 mile radius.

Thank you all for your support!!!

CLW Posted 25 Mar 2014 , 9:47pm
post #21 of 26

AThis is the one who was originally pleased then changed her attitude

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 1 Apr 2014 , 5:12pm
post #22 of 26

They are in cahoots with each other to get free cake.

If they try to contact you again about it:

The one who picked the design from Pintrest - I would tell her you are sorry she didn't like the cake design SHE picked out.  Do not offer a refund.

The other one - a simple "I'm sorry you weren't happy with your cake."  Do not offer a refund.

Block these women from your FB page if you have one.

Personally, IMO you don't need to follow up with someone if they don't contact you to tell you they loved their cake.  It's only opening up a can of worms for someone who was happy thinking they can get a refund (prime example these two women).  If there's a problem you'll hear about it.  no need to go looking for trouble.

chevirwasen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chevirwasen Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 6:57am
post #23 of 26

Hey, this type of nuisance had occurred with me some two years back, but the only difference was that there were 3 friends each having party on Friday, Saturday and Sunday of the same week. The first response was from the last party then the second and first followed by. Those 3 orders were no less than a nightmare for me. I refunded 60% of price to one of the customer. 

Zakared Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zakared Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 1:04pm
post #24 of 26

I am not as busy as I want to be.  I have always appreciated feedback from customers to improve my product or skills.  But I have never given a refund…and I don't plan to start now, unless it is definitely my fault (i.e. missed delivery, cake disaster {unsalvageable}).  Never refund for an unsatisfactory design of their choosing.

I live by the standard that there is no such thing as FREE cake.  I plan to have a sign up in my shop (whenever I'm able to start one) that will read, "There's no such thing as FREE cake.  In your business, I want something FREE and I'm going to harass you with negativity and lies until I get it, FREE.  Sound fair?  I didn't think so.  - Do Unto Others - No Entitlements Here, Just Service With a Smile - "

I know that might seem bold and "in your face", but I don't live by the adage that the customer is always right.  Sometimes they aren't and sometimes their motivations are suspect.  That being said, I run my life and my business, according to my terms, ethics, spiritual and moral center. I try to be generous, kind and helpful whenever possible, but I also don't allow people to run all over me just because they think they can.

Anyway, chin up….find other customers, nobody needs that negativity.  And don't let it bother you.  Consider the attitude behind it and move on because you have more positive and lovely cakes to produce and not enough time to worry about their whining.

Just my 2 cents.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 2:31pm
post #25 of 26

AYeah, that sign wouldn't be very popular in my shop...lol. Of course I agree with what it says, I just wouldn't say it out loud. ;-)

It's like those "why does a custom cake cost so much?" diagram thingies you see decorators post on their Facebook pages sometimes. I agree with the message, but it comes off as whiny and defensive when a business actually displays it. I know that's not the popular opinion, but it's mine.

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 4 Apr 2014 , 2:56pm
post #26 of 26

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Yeah, that sign wouldn't be very popular in my shop...lol. Of course I agree with what it says, I just wouldn't say it out loud. icon_wink.gif

It's like those "why does a custom cake cost so much?" diagram thingies you see decorators post on their Facebook pages sometimes. I agree with the message, but it comes off as whiny and defensive when a business actually displays it. I know that's not the popular opinion, but it's mine.

I totally agree! You shouldn’t have to justify/argue a price: cakes, art, everything purchasable should be seen as “that’s worth the money” and the customer decides whether they can afford it….. unfortunately there are people who lie, cheat and steal to get what they can’t afford… and that doesn’t stop with cakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%