Why Do My Cupcakes Have A Hard Outer Layer?

Baking By chinadolly Updated 24 Mar 2014 , 11:51pm by Elcee

chinadolly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadolly Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 8

AWhenever I bake cupcakes, the outer layer is always just a tiny bit harder than the inside.. I don't know if that's normal, but they aren't all soft like the store bought ones. Is that good or bad? And how do I fix it?

(Sorry I'm very new to CC) x

7 replies
HotPink_LipGloss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HotPink_LipGloss Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 8

AIs your pan a nonstick dark coated one? Those pans tend to cook the outer part of cupcakes or any baked goods faster. If that's the case, reducing your oven temperature by 25 degrees should help.

chinadolly Posted 23 Mar 2014 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 8

A

Original message sent by HotPink_LipGloss

Is your pan a nonstick dark coated one? Those pans tend to cook the outer part of cupcakes or any baked goods faster. If that's the case, reducing your oven temperature by 25 degrees should help.

I bake my cupcakes in the cases which are in silicon moulds, so the only things my mixture is sitting in is the actual case and the silicon case

HotPink_LipGloss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HotPink_LipGloss Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 12:06am
post #4 of 8

AMaybe you are baking them a little too long? I don't mind slightly harder edges on my cupcakes though & usually by day two it softens.

chinadolly Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 12:10am
post #5 of 8

A

Original message sent by HotPink_LipGloss

Maybe you are baking them a little too long? I don't mind slightly harder edges on my cupcakes though & usually by day two it softens.

Oh yeah maybe I am.. Hmm.. Maybe next time I should keep checking them like every minute just to be sure

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 12:26am
post #6 of 8

AI recently read that you're supposed to remove muffins from the pan quickly, or at least tilt them in the pan so the steam can escape. Trapped steam can make the muffins tough. Maybe that's what's happening here?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 1:21am
post #7 of 8

You're baking them too long.  Simple as that.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 24 Mar 2014 , 11:51pm
post #8 of 8

Try reducing the sugar a bit, just a tablespoon per cup.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%