Egg Shaped Cake Help!!!

Decorating By AEichinger Updated 22 Mar 2014 , 7:17pm by AEichinger

AEichinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AEichinger Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 5

ASo I have an egg shaped cake pan and I have a few questions..... I read on the website to fill only 1 of the pans and the other pan on top and to wrap wire around so it won't rise to much. The results 1 solid egg shaped cake. Another way is to fill both and making it lay flat. If I try the stand up version and cover with fondant will it still stand? Another thought was filling the solid cake with m&ms and fondant will it stand? Am I dreaming to big?

4 replies
FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 5

I depends on how big it is whether it will stand….anything over 4 inches high and the cake will collapse on itself especially covered in fondant. It needs an internal support structure. If I cover the wilton ball with fondant, that even needs a support structure. So you either need to stack several cakes and carve out an egg or you can make the cake the way you suggested, cut it in pieces and insert a support structure to make it stand. Hope this answers the question you were asking. 

AEichinger Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 5

AThanks for the help. You saved me from having a big fail! The pan is about 6 inches. It says it could lay on but it would flatten the bottom to much. I will get some support in there.

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 5

For the wilton ball I put the bottom part on a cake board (I used a dense pound cake), put icing on it on the top, put in three bubble tea straws, then I cut out a small cake board to fit perfectly and placed that on top and put the top of the ball on that. It held up very well even after being covered in fondant. I assume the egg should work the same! 

AEichinger Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 5

AFantastic idea!! I will for sure do that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%