Non Perishable Cakes And Cupcakes Frosting And Filling Choices

Business By plumprose Updated 22 Mar 2014 , 9:27pm by BeesKnees578

plumprose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plumprose Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 5:36am
post #1 of 8

Hi there,
I Have a question, do not know who can help, I have written to the instructors, but have never got a reply back. I currently got a permit under new Cottage Food regulation and I am allowed to bake and sell cakes from my home now. The problem I have is that this regulation limits me with lots of ingredients I am allowed to use. Everything has to be very shelve stable and non perishable. What type of cakes, creams, filling I can use in order to meet the regulations and to make tasty cakes???

7 replies
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 5:54am
post #2 of 8

AWe can't help you. Cottage food law is different everywhere. You need to contact the proper authorities in your area.

7031annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7031annie Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 6:11am
post #3 of 8

AWhen they gave you the permit they should have given you a list of items that are ok and what's not ok. If not ask for one where you got your permit. Where I live when I got approval they gave me a pretty detailed list and sample labels for my items.

ugcjill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ugcjill Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 8

ACall your inspector, they are there to help. She or he can go over your recipes with you and help sort them out, and will most likely refer you to a food test lab for verification of any ones that are iffy.

I can't stress this enough: Never hesitate to call your inspector and always go to them first.

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 8

A@plumprose: "I currently got a permit under new Cottage Food regulation and I am allowed to bake and sell cakes from my home now. " How did you get a permit if you don't have the recipes or labels for what you're going to sell? Is this the way with some state? What state do you live in anyway?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 5:25pm
post #6 of 8

that's very good advice--in the meantime--obviously anything that needs refrigeration--think of items that would be safest to have at a picnic--that would last the longest and be the best at room temperature--

this is not to replace anything you need to learn from your local authorities--just giving you some ideas in the meantime--

best to you

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumprose 

Hi there,
I Have a question, do not know who can help, I have written to the instructors, but have never got a reply back. I currently got a permit under new Cottage Food regulation and I am allowed to bake and sell cakes from my home now. The problem I have is that this regulation limits me with lots of ingredients I am allowed to use. Everything has to be very shelve stable and non perishable. What type of cakes, creams, filling I can use in order to meet the regulations and to make tasty cakes???

Two things scare me about your post: You have no idea who to contact, and you don't understand the concept of non-hazardous products. You must absolutely call your inspector (NOT "instructor"). 

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 9:27pm
post #8 of 8

A

Original message sent by thecakewitch

@plumprose: "I currently got a permit under new Cottage Food regulation and I am allowed to bake and sell cakes from my home now. " How did you get a permit if you don't have the recipes or labels for what you're going to sell? Is this the way with some state? What state do you live in anyway?

I didn't have to provide ANY recipe/ingredients lists for my OH inspection. Only needed the inspection in order to do refrigerated items (cheesecakes, custards, etc.) - let my license lapse because I don't do things that need refrigeration right now. No carpet in kitchen, no pets and had to use my home kitchen for the production. That is it.

But you can look up your state's dept of ag and it should all be listed there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%