How Do I Get My Fondant To Look Like This? And How Do I Keep The Fondant Numbers From Falling Over?

Decorating By Ameeranr Updated 22 Mar 2014 , 1:33am by Ameeranr

Ameeranr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ameeranr Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 15

14 replies
OneHotMess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneHotMess Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 15

There's a big tutorials section here and also on Craftsy...you might get a faster answer there - plus video-based instruction! - rather than waiting for a specific forums reply. From what I understand, cakers/bakers are extremely busy on Friday and through the weekend with deliveries and set up. (That said, those videos look amazing, so guess how I'm going to kill the next few hours! This place is such a wealth of knowledge it's ridiculous. In a good way. Like three-scoops-of-ice-cream ridiculous.)

Sorry I can't be of more use - I'm sitting on my tushie at home instead of hauling cakes around, so no "pro" here!

Ameeranr Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 15

That makes sense. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

gmfcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmfcakes Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 15

Here is a tutorial on the numbers that may  help you. http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/07/how-to-make-a-fondant-number-topper/

For the fondant it looks like luster/pearl dust, you can probably cover it in black fondant and use pearl dust, which you can use wilton or any other brand. But I'd make sure you look at FDA approved to be edible especially if you are using it in that amount and directly on the cake.

I don't know a whole lot about consumption of the dusts as I do this as a hobby and don't use it directly on my cakes. So hope that helps. There might be an edible spray or something in silver.

Ameeranr Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks gmfcakes. I've actually seen that tutorial before however im still worried the numbers will fall over because mine are 6 inches high.

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 15

On the numbers, just make sure you dry them very well.  For gumpaste numbers it should take 3-5 days or so to be completely hard and for fondant is may to about 2 weeks or more.  Once they are dry they will be fine and will stick straight up.  On the cake, just cover your cake in a light grey (not black) and air brush it silver.  If you don't have an airbrush you can get a can of silver spray, wilton and duff makes silver and you can get it at any craft store.

Ameeranr Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 15

AThank you regina!! But isnt wilton too metallic looking not Silver? Also i made the numbers last night but I feel because they are 6 inches they are too heavy and will topple over and cause hole in my cake

kellyk1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyk1234 Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 9:44pm
post #8 of 15

I always use lollipop sticks to attach to the back of the numbers while they're still soft and then add a piece of fondant or gumpaste with gum glue (gumpaste will be stronger) to the back of the stick. So the stick is sandwiched between the number and glob of gumpaste, and then let it dry completely before handling it. It shouldn't tip over and you can always use 2 lollipop sticks to attach to the back of the number. Like for the "0" you can put a stick on each side of the 0. Just make sure it's a long enough stick so it'll go into the cake a good bit.

If you look in my cake pictures I have a football cake where I did the same thing, and those numbers were about 4.5-5 inches tall.

reginaherrin Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 10:00pm
post #9 of 15

I'm not sure what you mean about too metallic but both wilton and duff brand comes out looking just like silver.  I actually just used some on a dallas cowboys cake and have used both brands on a lot of other things.  For silver or gold you have to paint it on or airbrush it on.  There is no other way to get either color. 

Ameeranr Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 10:21pm
post #10 of 15

AThank you regina!! But isnt wilton too metallic looking not Silver? Also i made the number and last night but I feel because they are 6 inches they are too heavy and will topple over and because

Ameeranr Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 10:25pm
post #11 of 15

ASo paint the spray on?

reginaherrin Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 11:02pm
post #12 of 15

No if you use the wilton or duff silver spray just spray it on.  I was just saying that the only way to get silver or gold is to either paint it on (if you have silver dust) or spray it on.

Ameeranr Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 11:14pm
post #13 of 15

AUnderstood. Okay I'll do it. Thank you so much!!!!!!

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 12:11am
post #14 of 15

Rather than use a spray, you can also cover in light gray fondant and then paint with a mix of vodka and Wilton silver luster dust.  I recently did this with the Death Star tier in the Darth Vader cake in my pictures.  Went quickly and looked great.

Ameeranr Posted 22 Mar 2014 , 1:33am
post #15 of 15

AThat's also a good idea. Thank you very much!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%